The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Changing my degree at UCL

I applied to UCL for an Anthropology BSc and received an offer in February. However, since the past few months, I've done further research on it and found that I might not want to pursue it as a degree because of employability concerns. Therefore, if I've already received an offer, is it possible to file an appeal for switching to a different course (Politics and IR) before I accept my offer and before starting at UCL? I'm aware that I'd have to meet different grade requirements, but I'd like to know whether it's possible in the first place. Has anyone here done it?
Reply 1
Original post by Aryan_T
I applied to UCL for an Anthropology BSc and received an offer in February. However, since the past few months, I've done further research on it and found that I might not want to pursue it as a degree because of employability concerns. Therefore, if I've already received an offer, is it possible to file an appeal for switching to a different course (Politics and IR) before I accept my offer and before starting at UCL? I'm aware that I'd have to meet different grade requirements, but I'd like to know whether it's possible in the first place. Has anyone here done it?

hi! i did the same thing as i switched from spanish and latin american studies to spanish and portuguese so they do switch but i’m not sure it would get done on time before the accommodation application deadline and the ucas deadline for firming offers as well. hope this helps!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
it would be best to email the PIR admissions team and explain your concerns, then they can let you know if there is any space for you!

now is definitely the best time to ask rather than waiting any longer, so i would say ask PIR sooner rather than later because it all depends on if there’s still a space for you on the course
As above, you can contact them and ask, they aren't obligated to consider the request though.

I would note your employability will be the same regardless of whether your degree at UCL is in anthropology, politics, or Viking and Old Norse studies. Employers don't care about what subject you studied, and only very few care about even where you studied. The degree is just a tickbox for recruiters by and large, and what relevant work experience you have gained through internships etc while at uni will make much more difference.

So if you are interested in and prefer to study anthropology, it won't make a difference compared to studying politics, at UCL. In fact anthropology might give you some additional opportunities that politics may not at UCL, as a number of their modules have project based work which you can use to demonstrate relevant transferable skills for would-be employers (e.g. their modules in documentary film-making, radio production, and journalistic writing).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by dashaman
hi! i did the same thing as i switched from spanish and latin american studies to spanish and portuguese so they do switch but i’m not sure it would get done on time before the accommodation application deadline and the ucas deadline for firming offers as well. hope this helps!

I've been trying to switch mine, I even sent them an email giving an explanation for it but they haven't responded..
which email did you send it to?
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
As above, you can contact them and ask, they aren't obligated to consider the request though.

I would note your employability will be the same regardless of whether your degree at UCL is in anthropology, politics, or Viking and Old Norse studies. Employers don't care about what subject you studied, and only very few care about even where you studied. The degree is just a tickbox for recruiters by and large, and what relevant work experience you have gained through internships etc while at uni will make much more difference.

So if you are interested in and prefer to study anthropology, it won't make a difference compared to studying politics, at UCL. In fact anthropology might give you some additional opportunities that politics may not at UCL, as a number of their modules have project based work which you can use to demonstrate relevant transferable skills for would-be employers (e.g. their modules in documentary film-making, radio production, and journalistic writing).

That's just not true though, is it? Sure, some employers don't care where or what you studied, but many do.
Original post by Jpw1097
That's just not true though, is it? Sure, some employers don't care where or what you studied, but many do.

Very few do. Unless you're applying to a job where a particular degree or background is a requirement (e.g. most STEM based roles, some roles like the civil service economic service) it doesn't matter, at least if the degrees are all traditionally academic (which anthropology is). They literally don't care, it's irrelevant whether you did for example ASNAC at Cambridge or economics and management at Oxford, if they have similar work experience - and if the E&M grad did nothing but sit exams for 3 years while the ASNAC grad had a wealth of internships and relevant work experience, then the E&M grad would be very quickly passed over. Whether your exams and lectures were in subject A vs subject B doesn't tell them how well you could actually do work for them in most cases, which is what recruiters actually care about.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Clace4life
I've been trying to switch mine, I even sent them an email giving an explanation for it but they haven't responded..
which email did you send it to?

ah sorry i didn’t see this!
the admissions one - [email protected]
Original post by Aryan_T

Hello, I am also having the same concern in regards of the programme

I have received an offer from History, Politics and Economics and I am considering whether a switch to the P&IR degree would be feasible

Would you mind telling me whether the result from your switch was successful ?
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I am also having the same concern in regards of the programme

I have received an offer from History, Politics and Economics and I am considering whether a switch to the P&IR degree would be feasible

Would you mind telling me whether the result from your switch was successful ?

My switch wasn't successful. What UCL said was "Unfortunately, our BSc Politics and International Relations programme is now closed and we are no longer considering any course change requests".
Original post by Aryan_T
My switch wasn't successful. What UCL said was "Unfortunately, our BSc Politics and International Relations programme is now closed and we are no longer considering any course change requests".

Thanks for your help Aryan. I wish you all the best in your Anthropology course
Original post by Aryan_T

Hi, I was just wondering what were your gcses and predicted grades? as I am interested in applying for this course next year but I am not sure if my predicted grades will be sufficient.
Reply 12
Hey, I wouldn't really worry about employability concerns with Anthropology - employer are more concerned about the grade you get, and that you get it from a reputable university (which UCL is). Many top employers encourage people from all degree backgrounds to apply.

With regards to switching, although I have never done so myself, I have had friends at UCL do this after starting their course initially, then putting in a request to change. Even a friend of mine was able to switch onto another taught postgraduate degree which was supposedly 'full', because he came across well and had a good reason to switch. It strikes me that unis are keen to avoid students dropping out fully so this may be an option for you.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending