No more good times like we used to have

Watch
SlaveofAll
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I mean, life seems to have used to look jolly and carefree when good music and good memories accompanied them.

For example, old songs by Steps, Boyzone, Westlife, the Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC, Britney Spears, and so forth sound more colorful than the songs that I hear today.

The world now looks like a huge catastrophe has hit, with popular culture reflecting it.

Say what you want about me, but can't we use a little more uplift especially during this trying time?
CletusYeetus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The way I see it is: Music is better now than it ever has been, but you have to put more effort in to actually find something good. The music on the radio is worthless, so don't listen to it.
Asha_m
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because the world now is sh**, people feel sh**, then write songs reflecting their sh** emotions, people listen to the sh** songs, then do sh** things, making the world sh**, then feeling sh** about it afterwards . . .
no idea my geography homework could produce such deep reflection
Last edited by Asha_m; 1 month ago
TJ1997
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think there's still good music out there and even mainstream artists like Dua Lipa are alright, but it's much harder to come by than before. Top 40 stuff is pretty s*** generally so irritating that's the stuff most clubs generally play, especially at unis.

Social media and technology has a big part to play in this too, with people living less in the zone than they used to. The late 90s/early/mid 00s was arguably the last truly great cultural time probably for that reason but also we had a strong economy and a greater hope for the youth compared to these days..
Last edited by TJ1997; 1 month ago
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
(Original post by CletusYeetus)
The way I see it is: Music is better now than it ever has been, but you have to put more effort in to actually find something good. The music on the radio is worthless, so don't listen to it.
I doubt that songs today can have the same effect of bringing me to a turquoise-sky-filled magical state as the songs I grew up with in the early 2000s.
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asha_m)
Because the world now is sh**, people feel sh**, then write songs reflecting their sh** emotions, people listen to the sh** songs, then do sh** things, making the world sh**, then feeling sh** about it afterwards . . .
no idea my geography homework could produce such deep reflection
It seems to have more to do with the ambiance.
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
(Original post by TJ1997)
I think there's still good music out there and even mainstream artists like Dua Lipa are alright, but it's much harder to come by than before. Top 40 stuff is pretty s*** generally so irritating that's the stuff most clubs generally play, especially at unis.

Social media and technology has a big part to play in this too, with people living less in the zone than they used to. The late 90s/early/mid 00s was arguably the last truly great cultural time probably for that reason but also we had a strong economy and a greater hope for the youth compared to these days..
Speaking of Dua, I've heard her songs all over places around me, yet she can't manage to carry the brightening effect on me.
TJ1997
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SlaveofAll)
Speaking of Dua, I've heard her songs all over places around me, yet she can't manage to carry the brightening effect on me.
It's probably down to individual taste tbh; some of her electronic/club style stuff can be pretty uplifting.

A lot of these songs are vastly overplayed but I get you, they don't seem to have the same bounce and vitality that the older ones do. Are you more into pop music or just all sorts from those times?
Last edited by TJ1997; 1 month ago
Joleee
Report 1 month ago
I mean, life seems to have used to look jolly and carefree when good music and good memories accompanied them.

For example, old songs by Steps, Boyzone, Westlife, the Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC, Britney Spears, and so forth sound more colorful than the songs that I hear today.

The world now looks like a huge catastrophe has hit, with popular culture reflecting it.

Say what you want about me, but can't we use a little more uplift especially during this trying time?
WAP! it's some wet as pussy.
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
(Original post by TJ1997)
A lot of these songs are vastly overplayed but I get you, they don't seem to have the same bounce and vitality that the older ones do. Are you more into pop music or just all sorts from those times?
Songs today seem to lack vitality and bounce as the older ones. I'm also into pop music, which the older ones do best.
CletusYeetus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I doubt that songs today can have the same effect of bringing me to a turquoise-sky-filled magical state as the songs I grew up with in the early 2000s.
Here are three songs from the last couple years that I would describe as "pop." Of course they just satisfy my own personal biased tastes, but I hope you can enjoy at least one of them:

https://hemina.bandcamp.com/track/neon
https://vulf.bandcamp.com/track/nate...he-ace-of-aces
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk0FTHqmO9o
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
(Original post by CletusYeetus)
Here are three songs from the last couple years that I would describe as "pop." Of course they just satisfy my own personal biased tastes, but I hope you can enjoy at least one of them:

https://hemina.bandcamp.com/track/neon
https://vulf.bandcamp.com/track/nate...he-ace-of-aces
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk0FTHqmO9o
My music preferences run the gamut from Modern Talking to Bruno Mars in the earliest days of his singing career.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (148)
43.27%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.7%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.19%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.05%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.94%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed