Hmm, any ideas? Watch

This discussion is closed.
pantryboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I've been invited to a philosophy open day at UCL as part of the admissions process. There is a brief test, and a few talks and discussions in groups etc, but no interview. I'm told that there have been 200-220 invites made, and there are only 50 places on the philosophy course. My odds sound incredibly slim don't they!?
dazednconfused
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Juxtapiped)
I've been invited to a philosophy open day at UCL as part of the admissions process. There is a brief test, and a few talks and discussions in groups etc, but no interview. I'm told that there have been 200-220 invites made, and there are only 50 places on the philosophy course. My odds sound incredibly slim don't they!?
Not as slim as you might think. I remember reading that Bristol makes around 200 offers for just 60 places on one of its most popular courses (English) and I'd imagine UCL will be similar -- they always over-offer quite considerably, as a great many people won't pick it as first choice or won't get the grades.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But they must've had more than 220 applicants, so you've already done well!
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmmm, how do you find out how many people apply on your course? :confused: methinks that could be interesting!
Suburban Legend
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Juxtapiped)
Hmm, any ideas?
sounds like a philosophy student to me!
Checking for Spies
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dazednconfused)
Not as slim as you might think. I remember reading that Bristol makes around 200 offers for just 60 places on one of its most popular courses (English) and I'd imagine UCL will be similar -- they always over-offer quite considerably, as a great many people won't pick it as first choice or won't get the grades.
This is true,but I don't get how it works!
I mean,what if more than 60 people took up the offer?! :confused:
Checking for Spies
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
Hmmm, how do you find out how many people apply on your course? :confused: methinks that could be interesting!
Try looking for admissions statistics on the university website.I know Bristol has them
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by *alicia*)
This is true,but I don't get how it works!
I mean,what if more than 60 people took up the offer?! :confused:
Some people won't get the grades
pantryboy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I've now been told that they make about 120-160 offers from the 200 invited...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (863)
80.28%
Leave (212)
19.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise