Thaleiaa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,I was thinking of applying for the MA audiovisual translation at Roehampton University and I would like to know if it is a good school? Do you get a lot of support from your lecturers? I am currently in my third year at Aberystwyth Uni and the lecturers are great and really support you throughout and that is what I am looking for.Also, if anyone did this MA what do you think of it? There are only 4 schools in the UK that propose this MA and none have the dubbing module that Roehampton has.Thank you for your help!
Lilaalil
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What other unis are you applying to?
Thaleiaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lilaalil)
What other unis are you applying to?
I was thinking Sheffield, Essex and Leeds as they all propose that kind of MA
Lilaalil
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Thaleiaa)
I was thinking Sheffield, Essex and Leeds as they all propose that kind of MA
I would suggest picking one of these 3 then, as they’re all Russell Group unis, unlike Roehampton
Thaleiaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lilaalil)
I would suggest picking one of these 3 then, as they’re all Russell Group unis, unlike Roehampton
I am not from the Uk originally so I am unfamiliar with the Russel Group. Does that mean if I go to one of these unis my MA will be more recognised? Also, I asked if Roehampton was good because I really like their programme and according to me, they have the best modules out of these four unis.
Do you think going there would be penalising or going to those three more rewarding?
Lilaalil
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am not from the Uk originally so I am unfamiliar with the Russel Group. Does that mean if I go to one of these unis my MA will be more recognised? Also, I asked if Roehampton was good because I really like their programme and according to me, they have the best modules out of these four unis.
Do you think going there would be penalising or going to those three more rewarding?
Yes, these unis are much better in ranking than Roehampton, but if you prefer Roehampton’s modules, by all means pick that one
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,I was thinking of applying for the MA audiovisual translation at Roehampton University and I would like to know if it is a good school? Do you get a lot of support from your lecturers? I am currently in my third year at Aberystwyth Uni and the lecturers are great and really support you throughout and that is what I am looking for.Also, if anyone did this MA what do you think of it? There are only 4 schools in the UK that propose this MA and none have the dubbing module that Roehampton has.Thank you for your help!
I think that the Roehampton course looks really good, actually.

https://www.roehampton.ac.uk/postgra...l-translation/

Have you noticed that they are holding an online Open Day this weekend?

Something Roehampton say on their website is that their location is an advantage, given that they are in SW London and I would agree, as being there would also offer the possibility of coming into Central London to do extra things relating to your studies, things to do with film etc.

The area where Roehampton is is very nice, Richmond Park is nearby, it's an area I think that you would like.

What is your mother tongue, by the way?
Thaleiaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
I think that the Roehampton course looks really good, actually.

https://www.roehampton.ac.uk/postgra...l-translation/

Have you noticed that they are holding an online Open Day this weekend?

Something Roehampton say on their website is that their location is an advantage, given that they are in SW London and I would agree, as being there would also offer the possibility of coming into Central London to do extra things relating to your studies, things to do with film etc.

The area where Roehampton is is very nice, Richmond Park is nearby, it's an area I think that you would like.

What is your mother tongue, by the way?
I have already been to one open day and asked all the questions I needed and this is also why I am leaning towards it. I think I like the atmosphere there was during the open day and yes the programme is really attractive. But like because there is no "review" on the course, I am scared that it won't be as good as it looks. That's why I am also wondering about those other unis I mentioned.
Did you went there or to any other Translating course?
Also to answer your last question: I am French
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have already been to one open day and asked all the questions I needed and this is also why I am leaning towards it. I think I like the atmosphere there was during the open day and yes the programme is really attractive. But like because there is no "review" on the course, I am scared that it won't be as good as it looks. That's why I am also wondering about those other unis I mentioned.
Did you went there or to any other Translating course?
Also to answer your last question: I am French
I do have a BA(Hons) in German and French and I have done a little sub-titling as part of my studies, which was very interesting. I've done a lot of translation since; I enjoy literary translation but also like technical translation a great deal.

Something which would be nice for you would be how close Roehampton is to the Ciné Lumière; the tube from East Putney to South Ken is just a short hop. I've been to some great talks at the Ciné Lumière.

https://www.institut-francais.org.uk/cine-lumiere/

The other advantage for you in being in SW London would be the chance to network once you have completed your studies.

I hasten to add that the courses at the other universities you have mentioned are equally good - it's just that there may be some advantages to taking the Roehampton option.
Last edited by Kerzen; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (11)
6.18%
Uncertainty around my education (19)
10.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (19)
10.67%
Lack of purpose or motivation (26)
14.61%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (11)
6.18%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.93%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (15)
8.43%
Financial worries (10)
5.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (5)
2.81%
Exposure to negative news/social media (14)
7.87%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (5)
2.81%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (22)
12.36%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads