The Student Room Group

how to cram revision gcse....help!!

guys how could I revise for GCSE an inspector calls essay as I am so unsure on how to revise as idk

i got an essay exam for an inspector calls tomorrow and i have not revised get but wanna cram now how could i revise now?
exam board: WJEC
the question might be of these:
how is the older v younger generation shown in an inspector calls
how is mrs birling shown in play
how is mr birling shown in the play

how do i learn quotes

how do i revise pls helpp
(edited 2 years ago)
bump
Hi there!

Well luckily enough if you revise the last two you've pretty much done half of the first question because Mr and Mrs Birling are the older generation. It is important to remember that if you get the generational question you have to emphasise that the younger generation is capable of change whereas the older generation has no hope of changing - this is a key idea in the play.

For Mr Birling some of the key quotes are:
- "I can't accept responsibility" (Act 1) - this shows how he is stubborn, refuses to acknowledge he is wrong and therefore has no hope of changing {third question} - it also contrasts to the younger generation who DO have hope of changing - example: Sheila who ends up advocating for the Inspector - She says "I'll never, never do it again" {first question}

- "She was a lively good-looking girl - country-bred, I fancy" (Act 1) - Here Mr Birling is literally sexualising Eva Smith - how good looking you are should not matter in a place of work - he talks about her as "country bred" as if she is live stock. It shows his condescending attitude not just towards the working class but also women {third question} - Mr Birling clearly sees himself as superior and above the other classes - which is different to the younger generation as Sheila says that we should not "But these girls aren't cheap labour - they're people". {first question}

- "I've also got to cover this up as soon as I can, you damned fool" (Act 3) - referring to Eric's stealing - this highlights how Mr Birling only cares about his reputation and maintaining the status quo - he is also more angry here after learning about the stealing than when he found out what Eric did to Eva - shows his priorities {third question} - The younger generation is no longer as materialistic and feels remorseful about how they treated Eva - Eric says "What does a knighthood matter now?" (Act 3) {first question}

For Mrs Birling some of the key quotes are:
- "But I accept no blame for it all" (Act 2) - Like Mr Birling, Mrs B refuses to change - the Theme of Responsibility is massive with these two characters so make sure you mention it - She is also about maintaining the status quo and her appearances - she is completely remorseless and sees nothing wrong in her actions {second question} - however the younger generation sees her actions for how disgusting they are - Sheila says "(with feeling) Mother, I think it was cruel and vile" (Act 2) {first question}

- "As if a girl of that sort would ever refuse money!" (Act 2) - Mrs Birling is as condescending towards the lower classes as Mr Birling and this quote highlights her degrading opinion - she also views herself as superior to the lower classes {second question} - However the younger generation do not - Sheila says "build up kind of wall between us and that girl" {third question}

- "(With dignity) Yes we have done a great deal of useful work in helping, deserving cases" - here she emphasises how she only helps those who believes deserve help and highlights her twisted view of charity - she has a lack of empathy and no consideration towards the lower classes - she simply uses the charity to inflate her ego and make herself look good rather out of any desire to support the needy {second question} - The younger generation also do this so it is important to show how they are sometimes similar to the older generation - Gerald uses Eva to make himself feel good - "She was young and pretty and warm hearted - and intensely grateful. I became at once the most important person in her life." (Act 2) {first question}

I hope this helps x there are about 12 quotes in here overall so hopefully if you can remember them you should be alright with whatever question comes up x I would recommend flashcards and asking someone else to test you x I should mention that I am on the AQA board but I don't think the answers would differ that much as its a pretty straightforward play x If you found it useful please rep me but otherwise best of luck for the exam tomorrow x
ok thanksfor this though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending