I am annoyed at the level of integrity of this year's A-level exams

Watch
Pegasus25
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This post is basically a rant. I have recently been sitting my exams which will determine our A-level grades. While doing these exams, I have heard that many people were literally told the questions before sitting their exam. Then, after I completed my maths paper, some people came out of the exam with a smile on their face as they had done some of the questions already! I just don't know how I can feel happy about this. I sat a Chemistry paper yesterday and then the same thing happened. Although, this time it was different as apparently a large portion of the questions could be found through the OCR exam resources for 2021. But still, when should it ever be possible for students to see the exam questions before the exam. Now maybe it is the gross negligence of my school that has allowed this to happen, but I greatly doubt it. I just feel that I cannot achieve any good grade as there are so many people who had a significant advantage over me. I am now de-motivated about even revising as I feel that there is little point and any gains are marginal compared to people literally having the questions.
Am I just complaining unnecessarily?
Thanks for reading
Last edited by Pegasus25; 1 month ago
YGSK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pegasus25)
This post is basically a rant. I have recently been sitting my exams which will determine our A-level grades. While doing these exams, I have heard that many people were literally told the questions before sitting their exam. Then, after I completed my maths paper, some people came out of the exam with a smile on their face as they had done some of the questions already! I just don't know how I can feel happy about this. I sat a Chemistry paper yesterday and then the same thing happened. Although, this time it was different as apparently a large portion of the questions could be found through the OCR exam resources for 2021. But still, when should it ever be possible for students to see the exam questions before the exam. Now maybe it is the gross negligence of my school that has allowed this to happen, but I greatly doubt it. I just feel that I cannot achieve any good grade as there are so many people who had a significant advantage over me. I am now de-motivated about even revising as I feel that there is little point and any gains are marginal compared to people literally having the questions.
Am I just complaining unnecessarily?
Thanks for reading
Hi don’t worry I feel the exact same way as you! I’m doing my GCSEs, and the french reading paper we did was the June 2019 paper. I love french so much and spend so long revising for it for months and was ready for this exam. However, an hour before the exam I found out that a bunch of the boys in my year memorised the mark scheme for the paper (don’t know how they even found it). These people usually get 4s and now they will get 100% and put the grade boundaries up so much. But with your other exams, I would go on the ocr website/whatever exam board you do and fine the external assessment material which is available to students. Good luck! Praying the rest of your exams go well!!!!
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm with you. The arrangements for this year and poorly thought through, unfair and we probably haven't seen the worst of it yet.
Pegasus25
Rep:
?
(Original post by YGSK)
Hi don’t worry I feel the exact same way as you! I’m doing my GCSEs, and the french reading paper we did was the June 2019 paper. I love french so much and spend so long revising for it for months and was ready for this exam. However, an hour before the exam I found out that a bunch of the boys in my year memorised the mark scheme for the paper (don’t know how they even found it). These people usually get 4s and now they will get 100% and put the grade boundaries up so much. But with your other exams, I would go on the ocr website/whatever exam board you do and fine the external assessment material which is available to students. Good luck! Praying the rest of your exams go well!!!!
Pardon my french but that is f****** annoying. I am just angry more than anything else. It is unfair and will distort the value of our cohort's grades. Honestly, I feel we should have just done actual A-levels/ GCSEs with reduced content universally. This system is just annoying and creates a system of being "in the know" about certain things. I just feel helpless as if everyone is just trying to scramble for grades without limits to how they will get them. Good luck in your exams also.
Pegasus25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
I'm with you. The arrangements for this year and poorly thought through, unfair and we probably haven't seen the worst of it yet.
Is there literally anything we can do about it?
kolme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yup. There's a lot of suspicion of cheating in my maths but there's not much they can do about it. I find it incredibly annoying and disappointing that I'm competing against a bunch of cheaters this year since I used to be a top grade (8-9) student even before this system was introduced. Now I know that these grades will be meaningless even though it is all my work and it's probably what I would've got without help.
Pegasus25
Rep:
?
(Original post by kolme)
Yup. There's a lot of suspicion of cheating in my maths but there's not much they can do about it. I find it incredibly annoying and disappointing that I'm competing against a bunch of cheaters this year since I used to be a top grade (8-9) student even before this system was introduced. Now I know that these grades will be meaningless even though it is all my work and it's probably what I would've got without help.
I am thinking about telling my school just so I feel like I have done something, even if it achieves absolutely nothing.
Anon???
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah this years exams are a joke. Some schools are giving more specific lists than others, some teachers giving more information on tests compared to other classes and some kids are on Reddit paying for the papers! These are kids who have done nothing all year and suddenly they producing A*s!???? I’m sorry - I feel so cheated after putting in so much effort all year and these lazy ones can just pay there way to good grades??
Pegasus25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anon???)
Yeah this years exams are a joke. Some schools are giving more specific lists than others, some teachers giving more information on tests compared to other classes and some kids are on Reddit paying for the papers! These are kids who have done nothing all year and suddenly they producing A*s!???? I’m sorry - I feel so cheated after putting in so much effort all year and these lazy ones can just pay there way to good grades??
yep. I agree with this 100%. I am just angry and nothing can be done.
Anon???
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exactly - it also annoys me that some people will get into Uni places that they wouldn’t have got into otherwise because they cheated - whereas people who did it properly might miss out. And the cheaters in one schools just drag up the boundaries for the class
kolme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am thinking about telling my school just so I feel like I have done something, even if it achieves absolutely nothing.
I usually disapprove of snitching, but since I have personally been affected by this and know exactly how you feel, I'd say go ahead. Even if they found out it was you, you're leaving school very soon so who cares, and at least you won't beat yourself up in a few years for not doing anything about it.

And please update if you do. This situation infuriates me because it has very long term consequences.
YGSK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck guys. It is a very hard situation for all of. Hope everything does turn out ok for you on results day x
cleveranimal56
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Dang those craft exam salesmen. Lurking on every corner of the internet, like drug dealers
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yep. I agree with this 100%. I am just angry and nothing can be done.
Any teacher that can't tell who has cheated and not use that result shouldn't be teaching. We've not used the mini assessments either ...
Pegasus25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Any teacher that can't tell who has cheated and not use that result shouldn't be teaching. We've not used the mini assessments either ...
Yes I agree. Sadly, I am not apart of the process in deciding grades. I think teachers will assume that people hadn't seen the questions before and use them regardless. That is my worry at least. I want to report cheating but I don't think the teachers will do anything.
Pegasus25
Rep:
?
(Original post by cleveranimal56)
Dang those craft exam salesmen. Lurking on every corner of the internet, like drug dealers
They are the scum of the earth.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes I agree. Sadly, I am not apart of the process in deciding grades. I think teachers will assume that people hadn't seen the questions before and use them regardless. That is my worry at least. I want to report cheating but I don't think the teachers will do anything.
Why do you think they will assume that? If a student who has been working at a grade C suddenly produces A* work that is highly suspicious and should be questioned. Any school handing in inflated grades risks downgrading ...
Last edited by Muttley79; 1 month ago
Pegasus25
Rep:
?
Why do you think they will assume that? If a student who has been working at a grade C suddenly produces A* work that is highly suspicious and should be questioned. Any school handing in inflated grades risks downgrading ...
I don't know and I can't be sure. But if they assume that a student worked hard since our last mocks and they assume this paper was completely secure to cheats then why wouldn't a teacher think that? I think I am just considering every possible outcome in my current state of doubt, anger and confusion.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know and I can't be sure. But if they assume that a student worked hard since our last mocks and they assume this paper was completely secure to cheats then why wouldn't a teacher think that? I think I am just considering every possible outcome in my current state of doubt, anger and confusion.
Surely your teacher has seen work regularly? No-one improves overnight ...
SyedN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I totally agree!

One of my cousins who is sitting their GCSEs this year did an English mock online which he sent me afterwards to read. I had read 2 pieces of work he had wrote before and when I read this I knew it wasn't his because firstly it did not sound like something he would produce second I was sure I had read that somewhere before.

A quick copy and paste of the first paragraph and turns out he had just copied an analysis done by someone else word for word and his teacher actually praised him for the improvement! I was gobsmacked to say the least, as I had only read 2 of his original pieces of work and I could tell it wasn't his work!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (223)
43.39%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.28%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.01%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (58)
11.28%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.45%

Watched Threads