Access to higher education MEDICINE question

Watch
Judyyy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all

I will be starting an access to Medicine course in September. For anyone who has done an access to Medicine/Science course, is there any advice you could like to give me?
I'm also thinking of working once a week during the course (10.5 or 12 hours a week, night shift though); is this advisable?
I also have some academic questions:
How are the exams structured? Are they like multiple choice and short answer questions, or do they require you to just write essays?
How many assignments do they give per term?
Is the workload easier or harder compared to A Levels? Do you have any sample to show me?
Thankssss 💜
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Judyyy)
Hi all

I will be starting an access to Medicine course in September. For anyone who has done an access to Medicine/Science course, is there any advice you could like to give me?
I'm also thinking of working once a week during the course (10.5 or 12 hours a week, night shift though); is this advisable?
How are the exams structured? Are they like multiple choice and short answer questions, or do they require you to just write essays?
Is the workload easier or harder compared to A Levels? Do you have any sample to show me?
Thankssss 💜
I have done an Access to Science course, so I should be able to answer some of the questions.

Firstly, if you intend to go into medicine with an Access, course, you need to carefully check the whether your chosen universities accept it as it is. To my knowledge, most universities offering medicine either does not accept Access courses or they require you to take a specific Access course from a college local to them.
Second, for the degree course you want to do, check that the number of credits on your Access course meets the subject credit requirements for the degree course.

An Access course is designed to be for full time study (30 hours a week), so 10.5-12 hours a week is fine, but it's also not particularly advisable to work during study if you can't meet deadlines. I worked 10-15 hours a week whilst studying, so I had not problems.

Exams can be on calculation questions, or short essays. They tend not to require extensive page long essays, as it's not typical in science based subjects. I have seen the odd multiple choice, but they're rare, and they rightly offer very few marks.
You only get 3 terms, and you need to cover 60 credits of material, which can mean 20-15 modules. Unless it's a very short module of 3 credits, you're more than likely required to do an assignment per module. That works out to be roughly 5 assignments or so per term.
The workload is more intense than A Level (I did both), but the material is somewhat easier, because you need to cover all the material to the equivalent of 2-3 A Levels (depending on who you ask) in one year. The material is usually roughly AS Level.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Access courses are designed to be fairly intensive as I understand, so bear that in mind. With needing to "flip" your sleeping patterns to "day" mode for your course, I think working a night shift while doing a full time course would be difficult to manage, just due to the additional fatigue that would cause you compared to working the same hours in the day (which even in that case might be very draining).
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Judyyy)
Hi all

Thankssss 💜
Personally, I would recommend retaking A-Levels again - it will certainly open more doors and let you choose more med schools.

Remember that Access courses are not universally accepted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (89)
26.73%
England (110)
33.03%
Belgium (27)
8.11%
Germany (39)
11.71%
Spain (7)
2.1%