The Student Room Group

Student Bankaccount at 17

Just realised my predicament my birthday is in late July but I have to apply for student finance by June 2, anyone got any advice on how I can apply for a student bank account at 17 or how to switch where the loan is paid to after the deadline?
A lot of people have the same issue, but don't worry, you don't actually need to add your bank details in order to submit your application. You'll probably have the option of saying something along the lines of 'I can't give my bank details at this time', and then simply adding your details later, once you open a student bank account. If you do end up having to add an account (I applied via SFW, so it may be different in England), you can still change your bank details up until I think a week before your first payment, so you have plenty of time to sort it out.

Plus, most banks will only let you open a student account after results day anyway, so student finance won't really expect you to have it sorted at the time you apply
Just enter your normal bank account for now - or leave blank if you haven't got one.
You can't get a student one till you have a confirmed place - either unconditional off or wait till you get the notification on results day.
Reply 3
I opened a normal account with the bank I would like to bank with as a student. I gave these details to SFE but will be changing over to a student account in August, so I'll just update SFE when I do.
Reply 4
Original post by Euapp
I opened a normal account with the bank I would like to bank with as a student. I gave these details to SFE but will be changing over to a student account in August, so I'll just update SFE when I do.

Thats really smart cant believe I didnt think of that.
Most banks will convert to a student account without changing the sort code / account number so you don't need to update anything.
Applying early, if you don't already have a bank account (have to wonder why), means you aren't in a scramble to get through all the 'know your customer' requirements

Quick Reply

Latest