Whether University is right for me?

Watch
Powerlessranger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Is University right for me if i found my A-levels to be really hard? (and take a serious mental toll on my wellbeing) I’ve always wanted to go but i just had the worst week of my entire life doing my alevel exams, i dont know if i could even handle that mental stress again, let alone away from home...
Last edited by Powerlessranger; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
University isn't for everyone. If you find studying unpleasant, seek alternatives.
Powerlessranger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
University isn't for everyone. If you find studying unpleasant, seek alternatives.
Thank you, i need to think of another path maybe...
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Powerlessranger)
Thank you, i need to think of another path maybe...
Look for either an apprenticeship or try getting into trade school.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Is University right for me if i found my A-levels to be really hard? (and take a serious mental toll on my wellbeing) I’ve always wanted to go but i just had the worst week of my entire life doing my alevel exams, i dont know if i could even handle that mental stress again, let alone away from home...
Really depends what you want to do and what your willing to put up with.

University loads on more responsibility and independence and at times you will feel pressures relating to exams & coursework.

But university admission requirements are their for a reason, they generally make sure people who are accepted have the academic skills when combined with education to complete the degree.

You can also choose degrees that deliver the course in certain amount of lectures/tutorials... and generally you can research wether universities use more exams or coursework.

Their are also things like degree apprenticeships which are a different way to earn a degree. University isnt for everyone and it's the right thing to do to research this now before you go to uni.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Have a think about what type of career you want to do. Does it require a degree or are there alternate routes? Most students find A-levels quite difficult so you aren't alone. If you do choose to go to uni there will be a mental health/well-being which can put in place some adjustments for you - to make your time at uni easier. You still have quite some time so don't worry too much.
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

In my own personal experience, although you have a lot more work at university, I found A-Levels to be more draining than my university degree. University gives you a lot more control over your learning, which I find helpful. Furthermore, at university you aren't solely assessed by exams [you may even be able to pick a course that has no exams at all and is based purely on coursework!].

If you find that you enjoy learning and know what you are passionate about, but hated A-Levels, I would advise you to still consider going to univeristy. However, be aware that there alternative routes.

With regard to leaving home, depending on where you live, there might be a university in your city/ town that offers a course you might be interested in. Alternatively, in the wake of the pandemic, I think there are a lot more opportunities to study an undergraduate degree remotely so that might be something to look into.

I hope that I have been of some assistance, but if anyone has any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Daniel
Third Year
MBiolSci Biology with a Year Abroad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (89)
26.73%
England (110)
33.03%
Belgium (27)
8.11%
Germany (39)
11.71%
Spain (7)
2.1%