Scroll to see replies

Reply 7700
u know... the movie..
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Original post by DoctorZ
u know... the movie..

Can't say I do. Freshers week is just a week of excessive drinking and general fun stuff before work starts the week after. It's generally boring crap during the day and then party at the night.
Reply 7702
To think, it will be my last ever freshers week. :cry2:
Reply 7703
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/sep/06/university-southampton-fall-undergraduate-intake

interesting comments....

"Southampton has no beach. It could be greatly improved by having a beach. There lies the solution."
Reply 7704
Original post by fnm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/sep/06/university-southampton-fall-undergraduate-intake

interesting comments....

"Southampton has no beach. It could be greatly improved by having a beach. There lies the solution."

It would be interesting to have a breakdown of the numbers in all disciplines. I know for example that Economics is on the up compared with last year, but mostly from international students, whereas Politics struggled to attract students.

It might simply be the case that students are choosing more employable courses (STEM, Business, Economics, Law) over what people perceive to be less employable (Politics, History, Anthropology, Sociology) even if they aren't necessary less employable in the real world. It's all about perception, now that you're paying £9k a year for it.
Reply 7705
Original post by .ACS.
It would be interesting to have a breakdown of the numbers in all disciplines. I know for example that Economics is on the up compared with last year, but mostly from international students, whereas Politics struggled to attract students.

It might simply be the case that students are choosing more employable courses (STEM, Business, Economics, Law) over what people perceive to be less employable (Politics, History, Anthropology, Sociology) even if they aren't necessary less employable in the real world. It's all about perception, now that you're paying £9k a year for it.

Yeah it would be. I mean I'd agree that I think it's more likely what you described is happening. Agreed, it's all about perception, but with uni being such a massive investment now, maybe those subjects are far less desirable...

Read this comment

"Southampton is atypical of the Russell Group universities as a whole. First, around 50% of its hinterland is water. This means that its cachement area is markedly smaller than for many other RG universities. Bear in mind that most UK undergraduates go to universities less than 100 miles from their homes and increasing numbers commute from home to save money. "

This comment as a influencing factor for the number of applications could be genuine right? I never really thought about that before:s-smilie:
Reply 7706
Original post by fnm
Yeah it would be. I mean I'd agree that I think it's more likely what you described is happening. Agreed, it's all about perception, but with uni being such a massive investment now, maybe those subjects are far less desirable...

Read this comment

"Southampton is atypical of the Russell Group universities as a whole. First, around 50% of its hinterland is water. This means that its cachement area is markedly smaller than for many other RG universities. Bear in mind that most UK undergraduates go to universities less than 100 miles from their homes and increasing numbers commute from home to save money. "

This comment as a influencing factor for the number of applications could be genuine right? I never really thought about that before:s-smilie:

It is true that most students go to a university relatively close to home; close enough so that if there is something urgent they can be home quickly, but not close enough so that their parents can visit each weekend.

Also I do know a number of students do prefer to live at home, and in such a case, a quick commute is vital. That said, how quick is quick? I know a shockingly large (in my opinion) number of people who commute daily from Bournemouth to Southampton. It's just under an hour on the train, and to get from Central or Parkway to the campus, you're looking at a good hour there and back. So that's a good two hour commute each day.

I think next year Southampton will be fine, however, with universities being able to recruit unlimited students who have achieved ABB or above. I also think Southampton, however, may become more international in focus. Many UK students simply forget about Southampton for some reason. They just don't rank it as a university for a whole swathe of disciplines, and this is to do with location alone.
Reply 7707
Original post by .ACS.

I think next year Southampton will be fine, however, with universities being able to recruit unlimited students who have achieved ABB or above. I also think Southampton, however, may become more international in focus. Many UK students simply forget about Southampton for some reason. They just don't rank it as a university for a whole swathe of disciplines, and this is to do with location alone.

Yeah it's funny, I mean Southampton's got a good history of being 'well ranked' (along with other RG big city unis like Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds), also, just read it's been ranked 73rd in on worldwide table (possibly evidence for what you've said about international students). Yeah, maybe engineering and computer sciences are the major pull towards the uni but I've always read it's good enough across the board. I've heard from friends at other unis like Exeter and Lancaster saying that the bosses have been using lots of promotion to increase the 'brand' of the uni. Maybe this is something the bosses at S'ton haven't done.......or maybe that's a load of rubbish, and it is down to the other factors location etc.
Ah well I guess time will tell:redface:
Reply 7708
Original post by hothedgehog
Can't say I do. Freshers week is just a week of excessive drinking and general fun stuff before work starts the week after. It's generally boring crap during the day and then party at the night.

bro watch project x! and i guess the partying by night becomes like it... thanks bro
Reply 7709
Original post by fnm
Yeah it's funny, I mean Southampton's got a good history of being 'well ranked' (along with other RG big city unis like Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds), also, just read it's been ranked 73rd in on worldwide table (possibly evidence for what you've said about international students). Yeah, maybe engineering and computer sciences are the major pull towards the uni but I've always read it's good enough across the board. I've heard from friends at other unis like Exeter and Lancaster saying that the bosses have been using lots of promotion to increase the 'brand' of the uni. Maybe this is something the bosses at S'ton haven't done.......or maybe that's a load of rubbish, and it is down to the other factors location etc.
Ah well I guess time will tell:redface:

Promoting the brand is definitely something Southampton lacks skill in as well. While academically and job-wise Exeter and York are on a par with Southampton, many view them as better. Exeter especially has become somewhat of a 'pro' at promoting the brand and doing what is necessary to be higher in the league tables.

When in discussions with some of the staff in the Economics Division, I'm just so frustrated at how they don't care about how the university is viewed by prospective undergraduate students. They are far more focused on whether the research they are publishing is disseminated properly within the wider academic circle.
Reply 7710
Original post by .ACS.
Promoting the brand is definitely something Southampton lacks skill in as well. While academically and job-wise Exeter and York are on a par with Southampton, many view them as better. Exeter especially has become somewhat of a 'pro' at promoting the brand and doing what is necessary to be higher in the league tables.

When in discussions with some of the staff in the Economics Division, I'm just so frustrated at how they don't care about how the university is viewed by prospective undergraduate students. They are far more focused on whether the research they are publishing is disseminated properly within the wider academic circle.

Yeah, I think increasing promotion is kinda key, not just for tables, but as you said, undergrad perception.

That's really interesting to hear! I mean I guess that's good right, that they're very focused on the research? but yeah, the failure to bother with the whole undergrad perception thing is a shame.....maybe after this 600 less thing, we'll see some changes?!
Hi everyone,

Last year I had an amazing time on the Hitch and this year I'm back to get other people to go and have an amazing time hitching to either Morocco or Croatia!

If you're interested then like this Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/SouthamptonHitch2013) to get all the info on how to get involved in the trip of a lifetime!

:smile:
Reply 7712
Can someone explain to what the ultimate and Platinum passes are and what they include.
Does anyone know if second years are eligible for a bursary?
Original post by Boom Pow
Does anyone know if second years are eligible for a bursary?

Depends on the bursary and whether any applicable circumstances have changed.

I received bursaries in every single year I was at Southampton - one in each year based on academic performance at A-Level, and a further bursary in my final year for doing the 4-year Masters course.

I was also awarded a 'hardship bursary' in my second year based on my home income, though I don't know if the University still does it (I'd assume it does).
They've replaced bursarys with a fee reduction this year.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/undergraduate/tuition_fees/undergraduate_tuition_fees_2012.html

From next year you'll be able to choose whether you want it in cash or fee reduction though.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/undergraduate/tuition_fees/student_loans_financial_support_2013.html
In the whole moving abroad thing I forgot about TSR and holy crap its changed again. Every time! Hope every one is good :smile:
Yeah, it changed within the last few days. I find everything really hard to click on now!
And I can't find the jump to first unread button :frown:
With respect to the intakes, last yeathe uni 'accidentally' recruited 2-3 times the allocated number of students for mechanical engineering. It was a similar case for the other engineering disciplines so maybe they bought down the.engineering intake to the correct levels which affected the intake numbers.

Southampton should also promote their Malaysian campus more. It'd attract a lot of students who'd want to do an exchange year in the far east.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest