The Student Room Group

Being charged by student finance

I am in my second year of uni and I have two weeks left until my last assignment is due and the year is done . I have a few assignments to do but will not have enough time to do them and my mental health has not been good and I have decided I don’t want to do uni next year for my third and final year. If I just don’t submit my final assignments and fail. Then in July call up my university and say I will not be returning then will they make me pay back my entire university maintenance loan.
(edited 2 years ago)
If you complete the year then you won’t have your loan classed as overpaid
Reply 2
Either way you're too deep into the year to not pay back the loan. You've spent the money and had the tuition, so you need to pay it back. Your best bet would be to hand in your final assignments so that you didn't just waste a year - even if it is below the standard you'd like. You never know, you may want to finish the degree one day.
Would I have to pay it back now or after I earn 25k?
Reply 4
I would get some advice about this as you could have a large debt for nothing and have burnt all your bridges. Speak to an SU welfare officer and/or a tutor and get some advice to inform your decision
Reply 5
Original post by Student 12212
I am in my second year of uni and I have two weeks left until my last assignment is due and the year is done . I have a few assignments to do but will not have enough time to do them and my mental health has not been good and I have decided I don’t want to do uni next year for my third and final year. If I just don’t submit my final assignments and fail. Then in July call up my university and say I will not be returning then will they make me pay back my entire university maintenance loan.

Don't give up at this point, there are still possibilities.

I would recommend getting in touch with the Counselling team at your University tomorrow and also writing to your personal tutor, to say that you need to submit a request for extensions based on mitigating circumstances.

Stay with it, you can do this.
Would I have to pay it back now or after I earn 25k?

Only overpaid loans have to be repaid asap.

If you complete the year then your loans will only be repaid when you earn enough
What if I just fail the year by not doing the work. Will that be processed as a overpaid loan because my last assignment would have been due by the end of the month
Just fail the year, but make sure you attend until your last day. If you attend till the last day and then withdraw from your course then you won’t have to pay anything back
Okay good because all my lessons have officially finished and I just have to submit essays which will be impossible to do and I see no point in doing them when I will not be returning to university
Okay good because all my lessons have officially finished and I just have to submit essays which will be impossible to do and I see no point in doing them when I will not be returning to university

Literally hand them in blank. Your results don’t matter anyway. I’m in the same position as you. I’m gonna sit my exams but write BS, because I’m not returning there next year ( I’m changing uni’s )
You are better off contacting your tutors now to get extensions in your assignments. Speak to the counselling/mental health department at your university and your dr as well.

Complete your assignments to the best of your ability and then think about it over summer. If you don't want to return then let the uni know just before third year starts. That way you have time to think about what you want without the pressure of assignments and while working to get your mental health in a better place. Having an unmanageable workload is extremely stressful and burying your head is the easiest option in the short term. You might feel different when the stress has gone and sometimes we make a decision based not on what we really want or what is best for us but based on poor judgement because it is clouded by mental health issues. Where you are now will not last forever, even though it seems like it right now, so don't make a rash decision because they can last forever.
I am definitely not returning to uni again. My mental health was at an all time low back in January and again now and it’s worse. University isnt for me. I can’t do 4 2500 essays in the next week it is impossible, even if it is waffling. I am definitely quitting. I just can’t afford to pay the maintenance loan for this year since all my lecturers have finished and it is just my assignments that are due so I don’t see a point in any more added stress if it can be avoided by me not doing my assignments and not worry about paying maintenance loan
Reply 13
I am definitely not returning to uni again. My mental health was at an all time low back in January and again now and it’s worse. University isnt for me. I can’t do 4 2500 essays in the next week it is impossible, even if it is waffling. I am definitely quitting. I just can’t afford to pay the maintenance loan for this year since all my lecturers have finished and it is just my assignments that are due so I don’t see a point in any more added stress if it can be avoided by me not doing my assignments and not worry about paying maintenance loan

You don't necessarily have to do those essays in the next week, though. If you speak to Student Counselling and your Personal Tutor, arrangements can be made for you to complete them over a longer period, four weeks, perhaps. You will feel tremendously relieved once this is confirmed and a weight will be lifted from your shoulders.

You can see the sense in the above.

You say that you want to avoid stress, but I honestly think that bailing out now with no job to go to and a very low income will be very stressful.

The least stressful option will be to speak to Counselling today and to get in touch with your Personal Tutor re obtaining extensions for your work.

By the way, you say "University isn't for me"; I don't think that this is something you genuinely feel; if you did, you wouldn't have stayed for two years.

One last thing, I think that it would also benefit you to talk to your GP.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest