Vihaan B
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So right now, I'm interested in applying for Cambridge, LSE, Warwick etc. for Economics. However, regarding the personal statement, I know that you have to start planning early, but I'm not sure I've got enough content or enough good content to write in my personal statement.

How can I enhance my personal statement? SO I'm interested in development and behavioural economics, as well as the maths used in economics (whether it be calculus or statistic), therefore are there any academically rigorous books you would recommend regarding this? I've heard Amartya Sen is a really good author for development economics, but are there any other suggestions?

In addition, I don't think I've done much regarding super-curricular activities, like I've attended quite a few lectures and entered essay competitions, but I don't think I can really talk about that in detail. So are there any suggestions regarding this? I heard that an independent research project is good to enhance the depth in your knowledge, but are there any other recommendations?

Any help would be useful thanks
neemboo.x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi 👋 LSE student here. Imma have to be honest with you here, I straight up lied in my personal statement and still got an offer, so don't worry about it too much. Of course, if you're applying to oxbridge you have to be more careful in what what you talk about since you'd get interviewed on it. As for me tho, I referred to a book I've never read, I commented on a study I've never read, I claimed I took a free maths course that I've never even taken lmao. There were some truths I mentioned tho. Like I criticised a specific economic policy that I was actually somewhat invested in, I drew connections between my work experience and how that related to economics etc. Just make sure you sound convincing
timewaster123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Vihaan B)
So right now, I'm interested in applying for Cambridge, LSE, Warwick etc. for Economics. However, regarding the personal statement, I know that you have to start planning early, but I'm not sure I've got enough content or enough good content to write in my personal statement.

How can I enhance my personal statement? SO I'm interested in development and behavioural economics, as well as the maths used in economics (whether it be calculus or statistic), therefore are there any academically rigorous books you would recommend regarding this? I've heard Amartya Sen is a really good author for development economics, but are there any other suggestions?

In addition, I don't think I've done much regarding super-curricular activities, like I've attended quite a few lectures and entered essay competitions, but I don't think I can really talk about that in detail. So are there any suggestions regarding this? I heard that an independent research project is good to enhance the depth in your knowledge, but are there any other recommendations?

Any help would be useful thanks
(Original post by neemboo.x)
Hi 👋 LSE student here. Imma have to be honest with you here, I straight up lied in my personal statement and still got an offer, so don't worry about it too much. Of course, if you're applying to oxbridge you have to be more careful in what what you talk about since you'd get interviewed on it. As for me tho, I referred to a book I've never read, I commented on a study I've never read, I claimed I took a free maths course that I've never even taken lmao. There were some truths I mentioned tho. Like I criticised a specific economic policy that I was actually somewhat invested in, I drew connections between my work experience and how that related to economics etc. Just make sure you sound convincing
yeah bro lmao I literally didn't do any of the things I said I did / read - literally just pick something that is part of the thing u do and just ramble and expand upon it in a clever sounding way - that's what I did and got an offer! I also did apply to oxford and was sure i wouldn't get an interview but I did and so I hadn't read my books so had to read 2 books in a week so don't do that to urself lmao (rejected after interview tho lol)
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You shouldn't run the risk of lying on your PS - if you are found out, the unis may reject you. Lectures and essay comps are the sort of thing you should be writing about - focus on why what you've done has interested you. Most of your PS (80%+) should be focused on your interest in economics for top unis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (72)
31.17%
No (159)
68.83%

Watched Threads