Is this geography answer worth 8 marks?

Watch
fairylight27
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Access the impacts of rapid development on emerging countries (8 marks)

When rapid development occurs in developing or emerging countries effects can be negative and positive. The increase in population in urban areas creates a skilled workforce that attracts TNC’s creating jobs. This increases the wealth of the country and the multiplier effect also creates other jobs for less skilled people, this is a good thing as it reduces poverty and offers jobs to those who would have had to previously work in the primary sector. This increase in wealth is used to develop sanitation within the urban areas reducing water-borne diseases and so reducing infant mortality rates. On the other hand, in some cases rapid urbanisation happens too fast for cities to cope with. This can result in a lack of affordable housing, causing rural to urban migrants to rely on shanty towns, squatter settlements, such as Dharavi in Mumbai, India, home to 1 million+ residents. The growth of slums can create many problems, such as lack of sanitation, high spread of disease, and overcrowding. Rapid urbanisation also results in increased CO2 emissions from factories, leading to climate change.

Would this get 8 marks? Bearing in mind I need to write this within the given time of my exam.
Last edited by fairylight27; 1 month ago
sophvx293
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally, I wouldn't say it would be worth the full 8 marks (I'm currently doing As/A level geography so hopefully I can help as I do lots of 8 markers).

I would say for the full 8 marks to have a structure like:

Assess the impacts of rapid development on emerging countries (8 marks)
the keyword is assess - so ensure continuously explaining

intro - what is rapid development, what are emerging countries (definitions), give an example(s) (not in much detail though)

main body - what are the impacts of rapid development - you could explain what they are, explain - Positives & Negatives (P - e.g better technology = better jobs = more money = more wealth, benefitting the area, N - slums, contaminated water, can't cope, over-extraction of natural resources - damaging the land) give an example (s) - you could include statistics, how they impact on that emerging country specifically (similar to your paragraph you wrote)

conclusion - what is the main impact of development (a drop in mortality rates, a young population, improved standards of living, and attitudes and practices which favour high fertility, basically what you included above)

Hope this helps
Last edited by sophvx293; 1 month ago
beatrice123lgbtq
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
first of all, no.
second of all, ever since i saw your cute little username,fairylight27, my heart started racing and my stomach was engulfed with butterflies dancing around mt everest, please, what is your roblox username, would you like to associate yourself with a date with me in royal high, you can stay in my appartment for as long as you want, we can sleep and drink herbal tea together please, let us kiss until the day ends, amen

anyways its good 8/8 i like it
fairylight27
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by sophvx293)
Personally, I wouldn't say it would be worth the full 8 marks (I'm currently doing As/A level geography so hopefully I can help as I do lots of 8 markers).

I would say for the full 8 marks to have a structure like:

Assess the impacts of rapid development on emerging countries (8 marks)
the keyword is assess - so ensure continuously explaining

intro - what is rapid development, what are emerging countries (definitions), give an example(s) (not in much detail though)

main body - what are the impacts of rapid development - you could explain what they are, explain - Positives & Negatives (P - e.g better technology = better jobs = more money = more wealth, benefitting the area, N - slums, contaminated water, can't cope, over-extraction of natural resources - damaging the land) give an example (s) - you could include statistics, how they impact on that emerging country specifically (similar to your paragraph you wrote)

conclusion - what is the main impact of development (a drop in mortality rates, a young population, improved standards of living, and attitudes and practices which favour high fertility, basically what you included above)

Hope this helps
Thank! this was very helpful
HaydenFordz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by beatrice123lgbtq)
first of all, no.
second of all, ever since i saw your cute little username,fairylight27, my heart started racing and my stomach was engulfed with butterflies dancing around mt everest, please, what is your roblox username, would you like to associate yourself with a date with me in royal high, you can stay in my appartment for as long as you want, we can sleep and drink herbal tea together please, let us kiss until the day ends, amen

anyways its good 8/8 i like it
Get blanked mate :rofl:
Last edited by HaydenFordz; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (194)
43.69%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.88%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (93)
20.95%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.59%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed