The Student Room Group

Why do some people seem really smart?

I've just started my first year of college and it's almost done but since the start of college I've notices something and I was wondering why it is. I notice that there are many people who seem very smart, say smart things or act very smart and never need help so I associate them with being very bright but when it comes to any sort of grading they get quite bad scores and low grades, could someone explain this please?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CALEH
I've just started my first year of college and it's almost done but since the start of college I've notices something and I was wondering why it is. I notice that there are many people who seem very smart, say smart things or act very smart and never need help so I associate them with being very bright but when it comes to any sort of grading they get quite bad scores and low grades, could someone explain this please?

It’s normally the ones who try to act smart that are not very smart. But ngl, I’ve had friends who were intelligent and mentally/politically screwed on that they could talk about Big Bang or something from the news with insightful views. But they weren’t very smart in tests.

There is a difference between being book smart and smart though.

The reason why they get bad grades is one in which could be due to a lot of reasons but for the respect of my argument, it could be due to the fact that they aren’t very studious. It’s normally the ones that are very smart, are the ones who don’t know how to cope with tests and revision.
Ngl there was this kid back in secondary that had glasses and was not book smart, but he did seem intelligent in other aspects......
Because being smart does not translate to scoring well in exams. Doing well exam-wise just requires a combination of good memory, good understanding and most importantly good exam technique. You can know everything in the world and still fail an exam if you don’t answer it they way your supposed to.

And equally, those who do well in exams are not necessarily smart.
Reply 4
Original post by CaptainDuckie
It’s normally the ones who try to act smart that are not very smart. But ngl, I’ve had friends who were intelligent and mentally/politically screwed on that they could talk about Big Bang or something from the news with insightful views. But they weren’t very smart in tests.

There is a difference between being book smart and smart though.

The reason why they get bad grades is one in which could be due to a lot of reasons but for the respect of my argument, it could be due to the fact that they aren’t very studious. It’s normally the ones that are very smart, are the ones who don’t know how to cope with tests and revision.

OH I HAVEN'T thought of it this way! Woah yeah actually cool! Thanks
Reply 5
Oooh yeah actually!
I’m not sure if being ‘bright’ or ‘smart’ actually has any meaning or value beyond saying you are well adapted to a particular situation and circumstance.

So those people are socially well adapted and have strong communication skills, but maybe don’t have the correct time management or revision techniques to do well in exams?

I find considering ‘brightness’ as an intrinsic, universal characteristic to be somewhat problematic. I used to consider myself to be intelligent when I was in the education system but starting work really blind sided me and I had to give it up in order to progress. I came to understand I was just well adapted to the education system, and much less adapted to the world of work, where other qualities such as social skills became much more important. In fact the director of my department didn’t even go to university and gained his position by being a good salesman, adept people manager and brown noser. And the truth is a lot of the PhD’s in technical roles managed by him could never rise to his position and salary precisely because they lack those qualities. So who is ‘smart’ here?

And by social skills, I mean less about being chatty and friendly down the pub, although that is certainly a factor, but skills such as ‘persuasion’, being able to convince a room full of people, something is a good idea and have them run with it.
(edited 2 years ago)

There is a difference between someone being intelligent and performing well in a A-level Exam for example. You need to know the materiel very well, having practises several questions in advance, and managed your time when answering these questions. Your exam technique and clear writing plays a very important role too!

As far as I remember I was always good in writing exams and was very intelligent. And I am still the same

Original post by Mesopotamian.
Because being smart does not translate to scoring well in exams. Doing well exam-wise just requires a combination of good memory, good understanding and most importantly good exam technique. You can know everything in the world and still fail an exam if you don’t answer it they way your supposed to.

And equally, those who do well in exams are not necessarily smart.

You are right on this one.
They say big words and ppl think they’re smart. Thats me, I’m “people”.
Original post by Moonlight rain
They say big words and ppl think they’re smart. Thats me, I’m “people”.

But what you described is not intelligence but the wrong perception by others who in turn don't seem very smart themselves to think big words are an indication of intelligence.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Lucifer323
But what you described is not intelligence but the wrong perception by others who in turn don't seem very smart themselves to think big words are an indication of intelligence.

who said I was smart
who said I was smart

I have kind of realised it from your posts...
There is a difference between being intelligent and performing well in a A level Exam For Example

Don’t see how this adds to my point. I said There is a difference between smart and book smart. That’s precisely your whole point summarised to two lines.
Don’t see how this adds to my point. I said There is a difference between smart and book smart. That’s precisely your whole point summarised to two lines.

Dies it have to add something new?
Dies it have to add something new?

I would have hoped so since you quoted me....
I would have hoped so since you quoted me....

Although I have been a little more analytic and explanatory.
I have noticed that you get agitated by my presence. Can I ask why?
I have kind of realised it from your posts...

Thanks 😔
Although I have been a little more analytic and explanatory.

Not true. All you did was state the obvious.

I have noticed that you get agitated by my presence. Can I ask why?

Also not true. I couldn’t care less about your presence in all honesty.
Thanks 😔

Being sarcastic of course...
Being sarcastic of course...

:biggrin: silly me I’m so sensitive

Quick Reply

Latest