e30401
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I take physics, chemistry and maths.
I like all 3 subjects and really want to do a physics degree as it appeals to me the most but my predicted is an A in physics and A/A* in maths. will i be good enough to do a physics degree with these grades?
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above, it is fine. From what I have read (mostly from Sinnoh's comments!) and what I've seen in the physics department modules I took, university level physics is closer to A-level Maths than A-level Physics, if for no other reason than you use calculus fluently in university level physics to set up and solve problems, and don't so much "plug and chug" formulae learned ad nauseam. Strong performance in A-level Maths is probably a good indicator that you will do well in university level physics
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by e30401)
I like all 3 subjects and really want to do a physics degree as it appeals to me the most but my predicted is an A in physics and A/A* in maths. will i be good enough to do a physics degree with these grades?
Yes. Anyway, a lot of physics programmes have lower grade requirements.
You should know that they don't go straight into the content assuming perfect A-level knowledge. They re-teach the relevant stuff.
e30401
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
update just found out i actually got predicted an A in physics and A* in maths
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi e30401

You'll definitely be good enough! It's enough to pass the grade requirements of most Universities and plenty of people (including myself) got an A in A-Level physics. The first year of University re-introduces everyone to the fundamental core concepts, so everyone starts from the same point - essentially, not having an A* won't hinder you! This also takes into consideration the fact that different people have studied different exam boards, so have covered slightly different content

Good luck with your application!
-Faye, 2nd Year Theoretical Physics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (42)
36.52%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.57%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.35%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25.22%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.65%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed