The Student Room Group

im really struggling at the moment

recently my mental health hasn't been great. i can't really put into words how i feel because my brain feels tired constantly and busy and almost fuzzy and it all confuses me. i have no motivation to do anything and am really struggling to concentrate, be it on schoolwork or on conversations with friends where i have to really think about how you're supposed to react to a conversation. either I'm super drained or randomly have energy spurts where it feels like i'm running on nothing before i crash again. i've also felt like i'm not real, like i'll be sat in a classroom and start to panic because i start overthinking how everyone around me is actually real and has a perception of me and i'm an actual person. ive had to go without looking in a mirror because i feel so disconnected from my reflection.

last week, one of my friends who i sadly wasn't even that close to killed herself and i'm not sure if this has worsened things and its grief just showing itself in a strange way? ive considered talking to someone about my mental health before it happened, and now i can't tell the difference between grief and what problems were already there.

im in year 11 at the moment and i have some big assessments that are being used to help grading in a week or so which i havent even started to revise for yet because i can't bring myself to. im a huge perfectionist and i feel like a failure for not revising and if i dont get good grades, but I still cant bring myself to revise.

that's a bit of a rant and doesn't really cover it anyway, but i guess i'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed and any advice on what to do or to hear from anyone experience something similar would be much appreciated :smile:
You could go to your doctor and you tell them what you have written here. They will then either put you on antidepressants or suggest you get counselling.
Or alternatively you could start exercising, thinking positive and eating healthier food and see if that helps.
Hey there,

I have been in a similar situation to you, and I've lost people close to me before. I do think that this way that you are feeling is probably your brain's way of processing your grief, and I relate to what you are going through.

When you described the feeling of being disconnected from everyone is called dissociation, and I have battled with it too. And yes, you are correct, everyone does have their own perspective of everyone else, but there is no reason to panic. You are real, as is everyone around you, and it has always been that way.

If you need to talk to someone and get everything out, I'm here for you to talk to, and there are many resources online which may help. Could you perhaps talk to your parents or teachers about how you are feeling? I know that it is scary, but it will help in the long run, and you may be able to get some help with revision and your upcoming exams.

Things will get better, I know it sounds cliche and overdone, but things will get better. You have gotten this far, and yes, some days have been harder than most, but you are still here, and in my book, that is an achievement. I'm so proud of you and you are so much stronger than you know.

I sincerely hope that you feel better soon

Quick Reply

Latest