Should I take computer science as a fifth a-level?

Watch
pokka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there. I'm currently planning on taking four a-levels for my entry into Y12 this year, and I plan on studying computer science at a top university. My current options are maths, further maths, physics and economics, and I really like all the subjects that I've picked so far, but I've been wondering whether or not it's a good idea to do computer science as a fifth a-level or whether that would be too much work/unnecessary? I'm expected to get a nine in CS for my GCSEs, and I feel as if I can handle the workload, but I don't know whether or not I should.

My current thought process is that it would be beneficial to universities, but I'm also worried that it would be essentially pointless to take five a-levels and only work against my favour in terms of expected work. What do you guys think?
one_two_three
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Five A levels is a pointless amount and you are better off focusing on the four A levels and doing well in them then potentially dropping a grade for a fifth A level because you haven't got the time or capacity to study 5.

Do the universities want you to have studied computer science at A level? If it is an essential subject then drop one of your other choices and do computer science. If they are not interested then keep with what you have.
GCSE_Rockstar32
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't do five A Levels. Nowhere is 5 A Levels an advantage. Stick to 4 at most.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Doing 5 subjects is, frankly, ridiculous.
No University asks for more than 3 and they wont be 'impressed' by 5.

Whilst taking 4 might give you the option of dropping one you aren't enjoying, doing five is totally pointless. You risk all your grades by attempting this. A*A*A* will always look better than ABBBB.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pokka)
Hi there. I'm currently planning on taking four a-levels for my entry into Y12 this year, and I plan on studying computer science at a top university. My current options are maths, further maths, physics and economics, and I really like all the subjects that I've picked so far, but I've been wondering whether or not it's a good idea to do computer science as a fifth a-level or whether that would be too much work/unnecessary? I'm expected to get a nine in CS for my GCSEs, and I feel as if I can handle the workload, but I don't know whether or not I should.

My current thought process is that it would be beneficial to universities, but I'm also worried that it would be essentially pointless to take five a-levels and only work against my favour in terms of expected work. What do you guys think?
Hi

Firstly I hope your GCSEs are going well!
A-Levels are extremely demanding and heavily content based which is why usually, Universities only require three! They are really different to GCSEs and the workload is a lot more!

Do you know what you want to do at Uni? This could help you decide what subjects would be most beneficial My best advice would be to focus on 3 maybe 4 subjects (usually you can drop one after AS), and work on getting good grades with them! I think from experience Universities would typically prefer 3 strong A-Level grades than 4/5 that are a bit weaker!

Saying that, some people deal fine with having a heavier workload, and can still perform well! I would speak to your teachers and see what they suggest. Remember time out from studies and looking after your mental health is really important too

Hope this makes sense Let me know if you have any other questions!
Sian- UoP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.92%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (17)
7.42%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (55)
24.02%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
11.79%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.42%

Watched Threads