The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Howard
I really don't care Vienna. If Harry wants to wear a Nazi arm band at a private fancy dress party that's his business. It matters not one jot what you or I think about it or how many second generation Aushwitz jews there are in the country.

It does matter because this is a representative of the British state, days before the anniversary of Auschwitz, making light of the actions of the Nazi party, namely genocide.
Reply 121
ChemistBoy
You only condone it if it is considered an offense.

You can condone an action or not.
Reply 122
tele-skier
Anyway - The more I hear about Harry the more I like him!

Likes a drink
Swings at Paparrazzi
Likes a smoke
Plays Rugby
Has a hot blonde bird
Having a crack at the army

TS

Me too. I think Harry should be king. He's a real "bloke"; William seems a bit of a pansy by comparison.:biggrin:
Reply 123
vienna95
It does matter because this is a representative of the British state, days before the anniversary of Auschwitz, making light of the actions of the Nazi party, namely genocide.

Well, why not lobby your MP to make some laws regarding what we can or cannot wear when we go to a fancy dress party? I'm sure you'll find a lot of support amongst the Ken Livingstones of the world.
Reply 124
Howard
Me too. I think Harry should be king. He's a real "bloke"; William seems a bit of a pansy by comparison.:biggrin:

I think that Harry is acting normal for a guy of his age. He was at a private party and it is up to him if he wants to wear that costume.
It was a fancy dress party.
It may have been badly timed, but I'm sure he didn't go there with the intent of offending people.
If he did, then there'd be a problem.
Reply 126
Howard
Well, why not lobby your MP to make some laws regarding what we can or cannot wear when we go to a fancy dress party? I'm sure you'll find a lot of support amongst the Ken Livingstones of the world.

Harry has every right to wear what he wishes as does anyone. My suggestion that his choice of garment should also be recognised as being deeply offensive, and irresponsible as a representative of the British state, again seems to fall on deaf ears. I dont know where I suggested that he should not be allowed to wear such a shirt, but rather that you make light of that fact that anyone could find deep and ill-timed offense with it.
Fleff
It was a fancy dress party.
It may have been badly timed, but I'm sure he didn't go there with the intent of offending people.
If he did, then there'd be a problem.

Yes but that rationale can be used to excuse pretty much anything at all. He didn't "mean" to cause offence, I will go as far as to accept that. But some things are just not done and making a joke out of the death of millions of innocent people is one of those things. Regardless of whether or not he is a prince or just Joe Bloggs, he is 20 and has (what passes for) a brain and as such should not be making light of a tragedy.
englishstudent
Yes but that rationale can be used to excuse pretty much anything at all. He didn't "mean" to cause offence, I will go as far as to accept that. But some things are just not done and making a joke out of the death of millions of innocent people is one of those things. Regardless of whether or not he is a prince or just Joe Bloggs, he is 20 and has (what passes for) a brain and as such should not be making light of a tragedy.

True. But to me, it's not a big deal, he should just take a bit more time deciding what to wear to the next fancy dress party.
Fleff
True. But to me, it's not a big deal, he should just take a bit more time deciding what to wear to the next fancy dress party.

What so that next time he doesn't make a mockery of the deaths of so many people? Yes, I expect that would be a good idea on the whole.
englishstudent
What so that next time he doesn't make a mockery of the deaths of so many people? Yes, I expect that would be a good idea on the whole.

Precisely. What he wore didn't offend me, I can see how it would offend others though. At a fancy dress party you dress up as something you're not, but not quite that tasteless...
Reply 131
foolfarian
People are well aware of what the nazis did, I don't think us brits need it pointing out.
However, one of the ways to get past this sort of thing is to make light of them. certainly dozens of comedy programmes have (i.e. 'ello, 'ello), so why not put nazis in with witches, mummies and devils?
Thats the way modern society works. Im told that in bible belt america the people feel the same about kids running around dressed as satan on halloween

I wasnt aware i was giving a lecture. The fact is he made a horrible choice, and i dont understand how people can say they thought it was "hilarious".
Reply 132
PadFoot90
I wasnt aware i was giving a lecture. The fact is he made a horrible choice, and i dont understand how people can say they thought it was "hilarious".

His stupidity is hilarious, not his choice of costume.
Reply 133
an Siarach
His stupidity is hilarious, not his choice of costume.

i'll grant you that :smile: I cant believe no one told him whats a stupid idea it was.
Reply 134
I do feel empathy for those who are offended by Harry's choice of dress. We still have survivors of the holocaust living and whilst that remains so and all the time their relatives are alive I think we should all try to be a bit more sensitive to their feelings.

However, I am glad that Harry is making such a prat of himself in all other respects as the more he discredits the royal family the quicker we'll be shot of them!
Reply 135
Howard
No of course he shouldn't be thrown out. Where's everybody's sense of humor? :biggrin:

Do you know Howard - I don't think he'll ever make a start at Sandhurst.

His entry has been put back and put back - now, because of some apparent leg/foot injury (my arse!) only injury with his foot is putting it in his mouth!

Perhaps a poll on whether he goes to Sandhurst or not?
He'll start. And he'll finish. His entry was put back once - if you go there with an injury of any kind you prejudice yourself. He will do OK and yes, I have done the course - it'll be good for him and beat some common sense into him! It did to me!!

TS
Reply 137
tele-skier
He'll start. And he'll finish. His entry was put back once - if you go there with an injury of any kind you prejudice yourself. He will do OK and yes, I have done the course - it'll be good for him and beat some common sense into him! It did to me!!

TS

We'll see!

The only problem is - that if someone does have an addiction to drugs (maybe both illegal drugs and legal drugs) common sense cannot be beaten into them.

This is why I think that there will be a rethink on his future.
Reply 138
vienna95
Harry has every right to wear what he wishes as does anyone. My suggestion that his choice of garment should also be recognised as being deeply offensive, and irresponsible as a representative of the British state, again seems to fall on deaf ears. I dont know where I suggested that he should not be allowed to wear such a shirt, but rather that you make light of that fact that anyone could find deep and ill-timed offense with it.

Harry was not acting as a representitive of the British State at the time. He was acting in an unofficial private capacity as a young man going to a party.
Reply 139
Howard
Harry was not acting as a representitive of the British State at the time. He was acting in an unofficial private capacity as a young man going to a party.

There is no distinction. As a member of the royal family he is representative of the British state in any walk of life. If he does not wish to be scrutinised in this manner and wishes to lead a normal life, he is welcome to relinquish his title and its wealth.

Latest

Trending

Trending