AdityaCholan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys! I will be studying MSc International Relations at LSE starting September 2021. I have booked a room at Butler's Wharf hall which is self-catered. I don't cook however and I'm looking for private catering or other outlets around LSE where I can rely on for food throughout the year. Can you guys recommend any cheap catering in London I can obtain my meals from throughout my degree? Thanks!
MatthewAteYou
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your best bet would be to try and change to a catered halls. Otherwise, you’re looking at pricey meals.
EU Yakov
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"i dont cook"
"i want cheap food in central London"
pick one lad
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you mean "I don't cook" as in, "would prefer not to cook but could make pre-cooked pasta, put some rice in a rice cooker and add stuff to it, and similar relatively easy to cook meals" or "I don't cook" as in "I don't even know how to turn a stove on"?

If the former, then just do that. If the latter then that is a life skill you will need to learn sooner or later so, no time like the present!
AdityaCholan
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Do you mean "I don't cook" as in, "would prefer not to cook but could make pre-cooked pasta, put some rice in a rice cooker and add stuff to it, and similar relatively easy to cook meals" or "I don't cook" as in "I don't even know how to turn a stove on"?

If the former, then just do that. If the latter then that is a life skill you will need to learn sooner or later so, no time like the present!
Haha, thanks for your comment! I'm definitely in the latter category. I do plan on picking up the skill. But I wont be able to cook three meals a day alongside pursuing an academically intensive and rigorous degree.
AdityaCholan
Rep:
?
(Original post by MatthewAteYou)
Your best bet would be to try and change to a catered halls. Otherwise, you’re looking at pricey meals.
Hi Matthew, thanks for your comment! I emailed them asking if that's possible. They said initial deposit would not be returned if one plans on switching halls. That means I would lose the amount I paid to reserve my place at Butler's Wharf (which is a considerable sum by the way) and would have to pay a deposit again for a different (catered) hall.

But I'm keen to know if you have any other ideas on getting cooked meals elsewhere in London.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Learn to cook. It's not hard..
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AdityaCholan)
Haha, thanks for your comment! I'm definitely in the latter category. I do plan on picking up the skill. But I wont be able to cook three meals a day alongside pursuing an academically intensive and rigorous degree.
Of course you will - how do you think adults cope with life?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To be fair, people don't usually "cook" breakfast as such, other than like...putting cereal in a bowl or something. Assuming they even eat anything! Plus making some kind of generic sandwich/wrap/etc for lunch is pretty low effort. So it's really just one meal per day you would need to put any effort in to cook, and it's pretty easy to get those pre-cooked ravioli packs or whatever if you're feeling lazy
MatthewAteYou
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Matthew, thanks for your comment! I emailed them asking if that's possible. They said initial deposit would not be returned if one plans on switching halls. That means I would lose the amount I paid to reserve my place at Butler's Wharf (which is a considerable sum by the way) and would have to pay a deposit again for a different (catered) hall.

But I'm keen to know if you have any other ideas on getting cooked meals elsewhere in London.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if what you'd lose in that deposit (including paying again) would be less overall than the cost of eating out every single day. You can sometimes pay to eat at the catered halls, I'd have a look at that... might be your cheapest option.

However, basically everyone else has time to pursue that degree and cook for themselves, plus take up other time consuming commitments. I think it's a poor excuse, and you need to learn at some point: why not now?
Last edited by MatthewAteYou; 1 month ago
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd recommend at least sorting yourself out for 2 meals a day. Breakfast is easy - cereal/toast, neither of which require cooking skills, lunch you could have a sandwich/toast if you had cereal for breakfast, or crumpets/croissants/ other easy food.
For cheap dinner, perhaps sign yourself up to some of those apps where restaurants/cafes etc. put food that's left at the end of the day that needs eating and you can go and collect it.
But really, do learn to cook, that will be the cheapest option by far!
AdityaCholan
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
To be fair, people don't usually "cook" breakfast as such, other than like...putting cereal in a bowl or something. Assuming they even eat anything! Plus making some kind of generic sandwich/wrap/etc for lunch is pretty low effort. So it's really just one meal per day you would need to put any effort in to cook, and it's pretty easy to get those pre-cooked ravioli packs or whatever if you're feeling lazy
Wow! That sounds doable. Thank you!
AdityaCholan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
I'd recommend at least sorting yourself out for 2 meals a day. Breakfast is easy - cereal/toast, neither of which require cooking skills, lunch you could have a sandwich/toast if you had cereal for breakfast, or crumpets/croissants/ other easy food.
For cheap dinner, perhaps sign yourself up to some of those apps where restaurants/cafes etc. put food that's left at the end of the day that needs eating and you can go and collect it.
But really, do learn to cook, that will be the cheapest option by far!
Ah okay, that seems like the opinion of the majority. I'll start learning. Thank you!
MatthewAteYou
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah okay, that seems like the opinion of the majority. I'll start learning. Thank you!
If you don't know where to start, I highly recommend this book, also BBC Good Food has great easy recipes to start with!
AdityaCholan
Rep:
?
(Original post by MatthewAteYou)
If you don't know where to start, I highly recommend this book, also BBC Good Food has great easy recipes to start with!
Awesome! These look great. Thanks for sharing!
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow! That sounds doable. Thank you!
Have you genuinely been having cooked meals three times a day for your entire life?!
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey guys! I will be studying MSc International Relations at LSE starting September 2021. I have booked a room at Butler's Wharf hall which is self-catered. I don't cook however and I'm looking for private catering or other outlets around LSE where I can rely on for food throughout the year. Can you guys recommend any cheap catering in London I can obtain my meals from throughout my degree? Thanks!
That's a very nice spot in which to be in Halls, it's very close to Tower Bridge.

Once you are there, if you walk down to Tooley Street, you can pick up a bus going towards Bermondsey Tube Station. Before the bus gets that far, it's only ten minutes or so, there's a pretty big Tesco Metro on the right, where you can shop relatively cheaply.

Something I would say to you about LSE is that your buildings are in an area (Kingsway/Aldwych) where there are tourists and people working in offices and so there aren't many places around there which I would describe as 'cheap'.

You do have catering in your buildings, but eating there every day would get quite expensive. You could maybe go there once a week and take in your own stuff on other days.

https://info.lse.ac.uk/staff/services/catering/outlets

What kind of food do you like, by the way?
AdityaCholan
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
Have you genuinely been having cooked meals three times a day for your entire life?!
Yes I'm just about to turn 20 lol
AdityaCholan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
That's a very nice spot in which to be in Halls, it's very close to Tower Bridge.

Once you are there, if you walk down to Tooley Street, you can pick up a bus going towards Bermondsey Tube Station. Before the bus gets that far, it's only ten minutes or so, there's a pretty big Tesco Metro on the right, where you can shop relatively cheaply.

Something I would say to you about LSE is that your buildings are in an area (Kingsway/Aldwych) where there are tourists and people working in offices and so there aren't many places around there which I would describe as 'cheap'.

You do have catering in your buildings, but eating there every day would get quite expensive. You could maybe go there once a week and take in your own stuff on other days.

https://info.lse.ac.uk/staff/services/catering/outlets

What kind of food do you like, by the way?
Thanks for this comment Kerzen! It's very helpful.

And btw, I like spicy food. From India lol. But would enjoy exploring other cuisines too!
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes I'm just about to turn 20 lol
Sounds like you've had quite a privileged upbringing then.

As others have said, you only really need to cook one meal a day and it's not as much effort as it seems once you get into the swing of things. Cooking will work out much cheaper than eating out so it's well worth trying to learn to cook even a few basic dishes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (223)
43.39%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.28%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.01%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (58)
11.28%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.45%

Watched Threads