1101A
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I am about to start IB and in the future I would like to pursue a career either in medicine or somewhat related to that. So I am choosing HL: bio, chem and geography SL: Spanish ab, English lit, maths AA
Am I at a disadvantage of taking geography instead of math because I am pretty decent and I have done maths and further maths in GCSE with an A* but I enjoy geog and am also good at it. And also is taking English lit ok or would it be better if I took lit and Lang? And finally would AA maths be enough to apply for medicine or stem related or do I need to go higher
Last edited by 1101A; 1 year ago
LV244
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I’ve done the IB myself and it’s probably actually better for you to do geography HL than Maths AA HL. Doing two sciences and maths HL is really a lot of practise and trust me, you’ll be busy with a lot of other things besides all your subjects anyways (EE, CAS etc.), geography HL would be a good way to be more balanced. Maths AA SL is totally fine for stem at uni, they pay more attention on Bio/ Chem. And whether you take English Lang and Lit or Lit doesn’t really matter. Personally, I would have found Lit harder though, but I guess it comes down to whether you’re more into literature only or also into stuff like analysing Ads or Blogs etc. Hope I could help !
IBkidinthecorner
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I agree with LV244; I’m applying for medicine too (my HLs are Bio, Chem and English Lit) and feel this is so much better as you have more time to focus on the sciences. Also, English Lit is also seen as harder, although which course you take is largely irrelevant for medicine anyway. Personally, I found the course much more interesting sounding, hence I chose it anyway. Hope this helps!
hehe_x
Badges: 14
Report 1 year ago
Your current subject combinations sound great. HL geog is a good choice because it's deemed to be an "easier" subject comparatively, but again this is totally dependent on you. I've got an offer to study medicine and did not do HL maths so you're good - it is not mandatory.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (147)
28.94%
It went fairly well (241)
47.44%
It didn't go too well (77)
15.16%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.46%

Watched Threads