The Student Room Group

Computer science or General Engineering degree?

Hi, what would be a good option computer science or general engineering ? can't decide I enjoy both, but i'm wondering what will have better job prospects long term. One of my concerns is saturation , just trying to figure if its worth getting a CS degree as I have heard before that isn't definitely needed. Thanks :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by dawya96
Hi, what would be a good option computer science or general engineering ? can't decide I enjoy both, but i'm wondering what will have better job prospects long term. One of my concerns is saturation , just trying to figure if its worth getting a CS degree as I have heard before that isn't definitely needed. Thanks :smile:

Hi @dawya96,

I'm a third year engineering student, so I hope to shed some light. I think it might depend on what uni you decide to apply to, as not all general engineering degrees are accredited so wouldn't help you if you wanted to become a chartered engineer later. I think that if you want to work in computer science, then you will definitely need some proof of your skills. This could be getting a good degree or even just having a large portfolio of work, but a company won't want to hire someone to be a programmer if they are not showing them somehow their skills. Engineering is sometimes accepted for computer science jobs, but these are mostly ones where you learn a language on the job. I've also heard CS degrees are not worth it if you don't already know how to code.

Hope this helps

~Caitlin~
Reply 2
Original post by UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Hi @dawya96,

I'm a third year engineering student, so I hope to shed some light. I think it might depend on what uni you decide to apply to, as not all general engineering degrees are accredited so wouldn't help you if you wanted to become a chartered engineer later. I think that if you want to work in computer science, then you will definitely need some proof of your skills. This could be getting a good degree or even just having a large portfolio of work, but a company won't want to hire someone to be a programmer if they are not showing them somehow their skills. Engineering is sometimes accepted for computer science jobs, but these are mostly ones where you learn a language on the job. I've also heard CS degrees are not worth it if you don't already know how to code.

Hope this helps

~Caitlin~

the degree is accredited with incorporated engineering status and you can do a masters to become a chartered engineer , if you feel that CS degrees are not as worth it long term I'd rather pick ENG but no I don't have any experience in coding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending