Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
retail job:

pro - hourly pay is good, consistent hours

con - stressful, gives me anxiety now, have not had free weekend since ive worked here

there's a mentor opening for a uni module that I've done before, due to start September. the role is to lead/guide 1 or 2 groups of students, to discuss the topics in a seminar style

pro - hourly pay is good, consistent hours, new experience/skills to put to use, can have something new to discuss in future job interview, free weekend,

con - half the hrs compared to retail so won't be earning as much, temporary job so can't do it after uni ends.

Im coming close to the end of uni so priority now is I guess experience, but I can't shake off the fact that I might not be able to get a job immediately and so retail would give me extra money to keep me going during that gap. Also I can't do both together, it's not sustainable along with uni work. what would you do?
brandonr9
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It sounds like you don't want to be in retail since it's stressful and gives you anxiety, and you just want someone to push you to go into a mentor job. In which case I hope I can be that person, do it! If you're doing something you don't enjoy and get the opportunity to do something different, take it! Yeah sure mentoring has less hours, but that means you can spend more free time on hobbies or hanging out with friends, plus like you said it's something you can take new skills and experiences from which is always a big pro.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
retail job:

pro - hourly pay is good, consistent hours

con - stressful, gives me anxiety now, have not had free weekend since ive worked here

there's a mentor opening for a uni module that I've done before, due to start September. the role is to lead/guide 1 or 2 groups of students, to discuss the topics in a seminar style

pro - hourly pay is good, consistent hours, new experience/skills to put to use, can have something new to discuss in future job interview, free weekend,

con - half the hrs compared to retail so won't be earning as much, temporary job so can't do it after uni ends.

Im coming close to the end of uni so priority now is I guess experience, but I can't shake off the fact that I might not be able to get a job immediately and so retail would give me extra money to keep me going during that gap. Also I can't do both together, it's not sustainable along with uni work. what would you do?
It sounds like you'd prefer to do the mentoring job. Which job will give you more relevant experience for your desired career path?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (89)
26.65%
England (110)
32.93%
Belgium (27)
8.08%
Germany (39)
11.68%
Spain (7)
2.1%