How do you prefer to get careers advice?

Watch
Poll: How do you prefer to get careers advice?
I like to speak to my friends and family (32)
10.81%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (166)
56.08%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (48)
16.22%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (44)
14.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
2.03%
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
You career may be something you're already thinking about, or something that hasn't crossed your mind yet. That's ok, everyone takes things at different paces! One thing is for certain though, access to some help and support when making your career decisions can be really beneficial to make sure you're on the right track.

How do you like to get your careers advice? Do you like to do your own research, speak to an advisor, listen to podcasts or watch YouTube videos of 'Day in the life of a ....'?

Let us know your thoughts!
nnth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
You career may be something you're already thinking about, or something that hasn't crossed your mind yet. That's ok, everyone takes things at different paces! One thing is for certain though, access to some help and support when making your career decisions can be really beneficial to make sure you're on the right track.

How do you like to get your careers advice? Do you like to do your own research, speak to an advisor, listen to podcasts or watch YouTube videos of 'Day in the life of a ....'?

Let us know your thoughts!
My favourite option is to do my own research, which often allows me to see how the successful people in the field managed to get to where they are. If I follow the advice of my friends and family, who aren't in the field I want to enter and aren't at the level I want to be at, I won't get very far.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I prefer to watch those useful online videos and look at colourful company photos. I also love to complete some handy career quizzes too. I also make up short notes and highlight information in formal job adverts about skills and qualities needed. I think that career information booklets are a very good idea in addition and speaking to a trustworthy career expert might be wise. Other options include doing your own research and reading career books.
dhrubo18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I prefer listening to podcasts on streaming services, such as Spotify/iTunes. And then, look for relevant information online. Reading the guidelines provided by the renowned institutions. Try to get much clear information as possible. Watching videos online and taking the right decisions is crucial for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (169)
44.13%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
10.97%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.09%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.67%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.74%

Watched Threads