How to tell my teacher about my depression?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I missed my psychology lesson yesterday due to setting my alarm for the wrong time. I would have got there for the last half of the lesson but decided not to go because we're learning about depression, which is something I've been through and still go through for 2 years. I know I need to email my teacher to say why but I don't really know what to say :/
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of all the staff at your school, your psychology teacher is going to be the most understanding of your struggles. Just be honest with them.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I missed my psychology lesson yesterday due to setting my alarm for the wrong time. I would have got there for the last half of the lesson but decided not to go because we're learning about depression, which is something I've been through and still go through for 2 years. I know I need to email my teacher to say why but I don't really know what to say :/
You don't need to (could always just say you set your alarm for the wrong time and leave it at that). If you want to because you think it might help you, that's entirely different and as the person above has said, she is likely to be more understanding than some, and has probably had other students come to her with similar issues.
eduorclinpsych
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want to access the curriculum but are finding the subject matter difficult, say that to your teacher. They ought to differentiate in response to the needs of students in the group but they can only do that if they're aware.

Perhaps just pop an e-mail to say that whilst you're enjoying the current content, you feel the current topic area surrounding depression particularly difficult and you feel it's having a wider impact on you due to your experiences with it and do they have any advice? Or can they offer an insight as to what elements will be looked at when, how it ties in with the wider course etc. Sometimes knowing in advance the different discussion points can help you feel more prepared.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (40)
36.7%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (9)
8.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
3.67%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
26.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (17)
15.6%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
9.17%

Watched Threads