Durham vs Edinburgh (languages) advice?

Watch
cherepakha2003
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

I've heard back from all my unis now and fortunately have an offer from my top choice, but I can't decide on an insurance option. I'm going to be studying German and Russian and I would appreciate any advice as to which one I should choose!

Durham (St Hild and St Bede): AAA, 4 years (with year abroad)
Edinburgh: ABB, 5 years (with year abroad)

- For extra-curriculars, I'm interested in music, art, writing, journalism, languages etc so if there's a big difference between them, I'd like to know
- both are a long car/train journey away from where I live (5 vs 7 hours, so not a huge difference)
-both courses look good, and I have friends there who enjoy it

thanks in advance for any advice!!
one_two_three
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What is your firm choice offer? No point putting down an insurance of AAA if your firm is AAA or less.
cherepakha2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by one_two_three)
What is your firm choice offer? No point putting down an insurance of AAA if your firm is AAA or less.
my firm is Cambridge, with an offer of A*A*A, so both insurance offers are at least two grades lower
one_two_three
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Both cities are really attractive - it could be worth looking at the tourist pages for each city and seeing which has more going on that you are interested in?
cherepakha2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by one_two_three)
Both cities are really attractive - it could be worth looking at the tourist pages for each city and seeing which has more going on that you are interested in?
thanks for the advice! I've been to both cities and they seemed really nice, but that was four or five years ago so I didn't look at the uni buildings specifically
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Durham - simply because the course is shorter, therefore less student debt.
cherepakha2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Durham - simply because the course is shorter, therefore less student debt.
that's a good point - plus, I'm not sure I'd want to come back after a year abroad for two more years in the UK
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (152)
43.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.49%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (74)
21.26%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.77%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.75%

Watched Threads