boopityboop
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, so surprisingly I can't find anything about this online. I'm using the MHRA style of referencing and am trying to cite a footnote to a play. So I am quoting the editor of the play, not the playwright.

I'm also not sure on how to reference the introduction to the play, also written by the editor. The best I can find is advice on how to cite a chapter from an edited book, but I think this advice is more for anthologies where each chapter is by a different author. Whereas in my case the main text is by one author, but there is an introductory chapter and footnotes by an editor. This advice says the citation should be (Editor's Name), (Chapter Name), in (Name of Book), (Edited By),(Publisher, Date, etc). But this excludes the name of the original playwright so idk if that's correct.

I would think this is a common thing for anyone who has studied playwrights such as Shakespeare, as most editions have lots of footnotes with interesting information, but I can't find exactly how to cite them correctly.

If anyone knows, that'd be great
willbrownfire123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by boopityboop)
Hi, so surprisingly I can't find anything about this online. I'm using the MHRA style of referencing and am trying to cite a footnote to a play. So I am quoting the editor of the play, not the playwright.

I'm also not sure on how to reference the introduction to the play, also written by the editor. The best I can find is advice on how to cite a chapter from an edited book, but I think this advice is more for anthologies where each chapter is by a different author. Whereas in my case the main text is by one author, but there is an introductory chapter and footnotes by an editor. This advice says the citation should be (Editor's Name), (Chapter Name), in (Name of Book), (Edited By),(Publisher, Date, etc). But this excludes the name of the original playwright so idk if that's correct.

I would think this is a common thing for anyone who has studied playwrights such as Shakespeare, as most editions have lots of footnotes with interesting information, but I can't find exactly how to cite them correctly.

If anyone knows, that'd be great
Sorry i have no clue. Just wanted to share my sympathies coz referencing is so frustrating
boopityboop
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by willbrownfire123)
Sorry i have no clue. Just wanted to share my sympathies coz referencing is so frustrating
It really is lol! I like to do it in the correct way but it's not always clear what that is!
willbrownfire123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by boopityboop)
It really is lol! I like to do it in the correct way but it's not always clear what that is!
Yeah totally haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.95%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.15%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.62%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.82%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.21%

Watched Threads