Bambi_02
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm really struggling to decide between these two universities. Unfortunately I can't visit the two cities due to covid which would've really helped me to make a decision. I rfind the league tables really confusing. I think internationally Manchester is more recognized, but it seems for uk specific rankings Exeter is ranked better. I'm taking wayy too long to decide at this point. Any help would be appreciated

p.s im not from the uk so i need a new perspectivie
SyedN
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you are going to practice medicine in the UK, after you graduate, then it really does not matter what university you graduate from. Rankings, prestige and everything else does not matter once you graduate.

When you are being selected for your FY1 jobs, the person looking at your application will also not know which med school you're from.

My best advice would be to look at the course itself and see which one appeals to you more. They will all cover the same content more or less, but they can be taught in different ways such as PBL, traditional or integrated. Find which one suits you the best.

If you have anymore questions, let me know!
Last edited by SyedN; 1 month ago
Bambi_02
Rep:
?
(Original post by SyedN)
If you are going to practice medicine in the UK, after you graduate, then it really does not matter what university you graduate from. Rankings, prestige and everything else does not matter once you graduate.

When you are being selected for your FY1 jobs, the person looking at your application will also not know which med school you're from.

My best advice would be to look at the course itself and see which one appeals to you more. They will all cover the same content more or less, but they can be taught in different ways such as PBL, traditional or integrated. Find which one suits you the best.

If you have anymore questions, let me know!
thanks! the thing is they both have a similar teaching style and course structure so I'm finding it hard to know how else to differentiate 😥
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bambi_02)
thanks! the thing is they both have a similar teaching style and course structure so I'm finding it hard to know how else to differentiate 😥
In that case what do you prefer a campus uni or a city uni?
one_two_three
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have a look at tourist sites for both places. They are extremely different places - Exeter is small and is really pretty and old whereas Manchester is a large city and very new. Manchester has a really big nightlife and Exeter has a nightlife but there is not as much choice. How do you like to spend your free time? Look for what there is in the local area that you would enjoy. Your whole time over here isn't going to be university so make sure there is something for you outside of university to help you relax and enjoy your time.
AstaYunoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Manchester~ City, Night Life
Exeter ~ Hills, Country life?
But all jokes aside, for med, check out what the course entails and focuses on as one maybe more clinical/theory heavy especially for the first 2 years where most of your enjoyment will take place then make a calculated decision based off of your ucat
Bambi_02
Rep:
?
(Original post by AstaYunoo)
Manchester~ City, Night Life
Exeter ~ Hills, Country life?
But all jokes aside, for med, check out what the course entails and focuses on as one maybe more clinical/theory heavy especially for the first 2 years where most of your enjoyment will take place then make a calculated decision based off of your ucat
I've already gotten offers from both so its too late 😅 but yh when I was applying i was so focused on just getting into any that I didn't think about the actual cities or where id like to go. that's why all the universities I applied to are so different from each other and very spread out.
Bambi_02
Rep:
?
(Original post by one_two_three)
Have a look at tourist sites for both places. They are extremely different places - Exeter is small and is really pretty and old whereas Manchester is a large city and very new. Manchester has a really big nightlife and Exeter has a nightlife but there is not as much choice. How do you like to spend your free time? Look for what there is in the local area that you would enjoy. Your whole time over here isn't going to be university so make sure there is something for you outside of university to help you relax and enjoy your time.
ok, i'll try that. I wish I applied to something in between the two. I think Manchester may be too big but Exeter also a little too small aha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads