mhubert0
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Should i take A level chemistry (with history and biology). I usually get around 7/8 in chemistry exams and im predicted a 8. However i am unsure as i dislike maths and heard its a big part of it and i want to get a A or A*
Wannabevetnurse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mhubert0)
Should i take A level chemistry (with history and biology). I usually get around 7/8 in chemistry exams and im predicted a 8. However i am unsure as i dislike maths and heard its a big part of it and i want to get a A or A*
If you like chemistry, take it. It's much harder, if you don't enjoy it.
gogrizz123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yh there is alot of maths but its really easy maths, It feels like there is more maths than actual chemistry at times but as I said, its like gcse level maths
daan.m
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's quite a bit of maths, but it's almost always the same few topics.

You need:
Ratios
Rearranging and using formulae
Standard form
Unit conversions
Percentages
Reading and interpreting graphs (including finding the gradient)
Basic addition
A tiny bit of logarithms (but they'll teach it to you)
(+ probably a couple more topics I've forgotten)

With the exception of logarithms, this is all GCSE level maths.

If you enjoy chem, please don't be put off by the maths — just take it.
firephoenix
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
oooo im currently doing all those!! depends on what you want to do In the future tbh...if you're thinking of like maybe medicine or a very science degree but aren't sure definitely take it as you dont want to regret not having those options in the future!
firephoenix
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by daan.m)
There's quite a bit of maths, but it's almost always the same few topics.

You need:
Ratios
Rearranging and using formulae
Standard form
Unit conversions
Percentages
Reading and interpreting graphs (including finding the gradient)
Basic addition
A tiny bit of logarithms (but they'll teach it to you)
(+ probably a couple more topics I've forgotten)

With the exception of logarithms, this is all GCSE level maths.

If you enjoy chem, please don't be put off by the maths — just take it.
yeah the math isn't terrible once you've got the hang of it!
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you don't like maths, stay away. I like it and I struggle. I'm AQA and you need to devote a good amount of time to just maths, its 20% of every chemistry exam you will ever take, content is easy, math is hard. given that a grade boundary is usually 20% away from one another, you can drop ( as I did ) from a good grade to a bad one just by failing the maths.
mhubert0
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by firephoenix)
oooo im currently doing all those!! depends on what you want to do In the future tbh...if you're thinking of like maybe medicine or a very science degree but aren't sure definitely take it as you dont want to regret not having those options in the future!
how are you finding it? gcse history was my best subject and i didnt really have to try hard at it (obviously i know that isnt the case at a level) but in chemistry and biology ive heard a lot of people who worked at around 7/8 like me really struggled at A level
firephoenix
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I actually didn't do gcse history I love a level history though do not regret picking it. The essays and stuff were a bit difficult to get used to but after 2/3 attempts you get the hang of it! Chem and bio are varying they are HARD subjects and you do need to stay on top of your game throughout the course. just dont let the work and revision build up and you will do great! you're already doing a lot better than me at gcse it seems like It is a lot of fun though and I genuinely love biology so much, chem sometimes was horrible but its just a subject that when it clicks its AMAZING. that sounds so strange but when you go onto a level chem you will understand :rolleyes: hope that helps a bit! any more questions just shout!
firephoenix
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how are you finding it? gcse history was my best subject and i didnt really have to try hard at it (obviously i know that isnt the case at a level) but in chemistry and biology ive heard a lot of people who worked at around 7/8 like me really struggled at A level
was meant to quote this and reply but forgot to :burnout: my reply is above!
Upthefilm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly don't find the maths very challenging so far, majority of it is working out which formula to use, applying it and converting units etc. After doing multiple exam q's you will be able to recognise the question type and it is fairly straight forward. Like another poster said the maths isn't anything greater than gcse level,.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (194)
43.69%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.88%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (93)
20.95%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.59%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.63%

Watched Threads