Pure maths A-Level questions, HW, help

Watch
anya2003
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there, struggling with part b) can do part a) successfully but would appreciate some help after. Will attach Q in a sec.
anya2003
Rep:
?
Name:  Screenshot 2021-05-13 at 14.36.51.png
Views: 7
Size:  74.6 KB
nikki.maria
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah lmao sure this is hw
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anya2003)
Name:  Screenshot 2021-05-13 at 14.36.51.png
Views: 7
Size:  74.6 KB
This question has been posted recently by someone else

At P (and Q) the tangent is vertical - what implication does this have for the denominator of dy/dx?
anya2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by nikki.maria)
yeah lmao sure this is hw
shush shush
anya2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
This question has been posted recently by someone else

At P (and Q) the tangent is vertical - what implication does this have for the denominator of dy/dx?
It will have ti equal 0, but you have 2 unknowns so not sure what to do next
davros
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So if the denominator equals 0 you have an equation relating x and y. Write one variable in terms of the other, substitute into the original equation of the curve and that will give you a quadratic in x (or y) that you can solve to find possible coordinates for P (one solution will give you Q so check which one you want).
anya2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
So if the denominator equals 0 you have an equation relating x and y. Write one variable in terms of the other, substitute into the original equation of the curve and that will give you a quadratic in x (or y) that you can solve to find possible coordinates for P (one solution will give you Q so check which one you want).
Thank you! It always sounds so much easier when someone else explains it to you haha.
MiladA
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The tangent at P and Q is parallel to the Y axis. This means that the change in X is zero i.e. dx is 0. In other words X remains constant at P and Q (as it's a straight line). Use this information in your dy/dx and get an equation in terms of x and y, write x or y as the subject and substitute in equation of curve as you know that x (or y) will take that particular value at P and Q.

The same can be said if the tangent is parallel to the X axis then you would set dy=0 and do similar things.
Last edited by MiladA; 1 month ago
davros
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MiladA)
The tangent at P and Q is parallel to the Y axis. This means that the change in X is zero i.e. dx is 0. In other words X remains constant at P and Q (as it's a straight line). Use this information in your dy/dx and get an equation in terms of x and y, write x or y as the subject and substitute in equation of curve as you know that x (or y) will take that particular value at P and Q.

The same can be said if the tangent is parallel to the X axis then you would set dy=0 and do similar things.
Please no!

dy/dx is not a fraction. You are not setting dx = 0 or dy = 0, you are setting the numerator or denominator of dy/dx to zero, corresponding to a vertical or horizontal tangent respectively
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (196)
43.85%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.19%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.83%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (94)
21.03%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.51%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise