The Student Room Group

Bad grades — what to do?

Seen loads of threads like this popping up so might as well.

So I’ve got 15 modules to sit in total throughout uni 2/15 are 2:2s (provided jurisprudence will not get downgraded; really doubtful that it even would be tbh) [criminal law & jurisprudence] and 3 low 2:1s (62%-64%) [equity & trusts; contract law; public law]. First year averaged 61% (criminal law was a 57%).

Currently sitting for the remaining 2nd year exams next week. But let us assume both the best and worst scenarios.

My dream job only accepts those with a first classification overall, but I’ve known recent trainees (so to speak, not in UK) that had bad first year results and did end up with a First classification. That’s my end-goal too.

So calculating what remaining marks I ought to get for these upcoming exams for a first average 2 essays in Land law must be 85% and 2 essays in EU law must be 85%, 3 essays in Tort law must be 75% minimum, and 2 essays in Pub Int Law must be 75% minimum. My jurisprudence is a 52% btw, and scrapped a 60% in Land law during the first term this year.

Mistakes I made to have gotten these bad grades previously:

Starting late in my first year exams (3/2/1 days before deadline with 0 knowledge on any 2 topics for the essays I’ve written; last year most were 2 essay questions to do per module for one submission)

Not bearing in mind any essay writing rules when panicking or distressed (to not have an argument/stance incorporated throughout the essay; not contrasting/comparing academics the proper way no explanation given in any comparison; not citing the essential authorities/cases/statues that I needed to in my essays; to not have my personal opinion on each section; not being detailed or sufficiently knowledgeable in the essential/primary case judgements etc.; not using a proper structure in problem questions; and not giving each crucial sections of the essay equivalent & quality breadth and length; not using good examples/no examples/examples incorporated with purpose)

Submitted an essay late (68% downgraded to 58%)

Not doing equivalently well between 2/3 essays (65% in one, 58% in the other)

Choosing a question because the other one was boring but would have done better in (criminal law - got a 52% in the problem question, “not coherent with current case law” i.e., not applying cases properly; statutes applied in the wrong order (after cases); used the CPS guide before cases or statute)

Wrong techniques

Not “critically discussing” but doing more ‘descriptions’ instead relative amounts in an essay is what they look at

Had one 75% essay so I might have a rough idea on what to do

What I’m doing/been doing/going to do to improve:

Starting my essays the moment I got/get them

Having a methodical approach this time making the outlines/steps/questions I need to take in order to answer a problem question

Making/including a list of essential cases/statutes/authorities so that I will always include them and not miss anything out

Making/including subheadings of topics so that I am not missing out any concepts to the best of my abilities

Ensuring that I have an actual stance/argument position throughout my essay

Use proper examples - a breadth of variety - engage with them - maximize them

Put “critical thinking” - making my own formulations in detail

Use search engines properly - e.g. Westlaw for articles with any mentions to the cases I’m looking into or descendant cases; a particular encyclopedia for Pub Int Law; google searches

Made a methodical approach to know when there is a ‘grey area’ in a problem question to engage more discussion

Realize I can easily do, cover and read essential judgements in a shorter time than I anticipated (previously was too intimidated)

To ensure that I am engaging with the essential arguments

Showing that I am aware of the backdrop/issues of what topic I need to talk about in my essay

Use the best of materials (good/very useful journal articles & firm articles & looking into case judgements & relevant authorities; commission reports)

Break down the essay question what sub questions must I answer? What is my structure? Am I answering the question? Must make sure that I am clear of this and give full explanations as to why I’m doing this essay the way I am

Also use non-legal examples— policy examples; news - real incidents

...... if there is any more please tell me!

Sorry for tagging u guys again tho :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by wifd149
Seen loads of threads like this popping up so might as well.

So I’ve got 15 modules to sit in total throughout uni 2/15 are 2:2s (provided jurisprudence will not get downgraded; really doubtful that it even would be tbh) [criminal law & jurisprudence] and 3 low 2:1s (62%-64%) [equity & trusts; contract law; public law]. First year averaged 61% (criminal law was a 57%).

Currently sitting for the remaining 2nd year exams next week. But let us assume both the best and worst scenarios.

My dream job only accepts those with a first classification overall, but I’ve known recent trainees (so to speak, not in UK) that had bad first year results and did end up with a First classification. That’s my end-goal too.

So calculating what remaining marks I ought to get for these upcoming exams for a first average 2 essays in Land law must be 85% and 2 essays in EU law must be 85%, 3 essays in Tort law must be 75% minimum, and 2 essays in Pub Int Law must be 75% minimum. My jurisprudence is a 52% btw, and scrapped a 60% in Land law during the first term this year.

Have you spoken to someone at your uni to confirm that this is all correct / possible? Different unis will allow different weightings dependent on the level of the module taken, and some will give your stronger subjects a "higher" weighting. Also factor in degree upgrades - some places will round you up to a First (70%) if you are at 69% for example.
Reply 2
Original post by Blayze
Have you spoken to someone at your uni to confirm that this is all correct / possible? Different unis will allow different weightings dependent on the level of the module taken, and some will give your stronger subjects a "higher" weighting. Also factor in degree upgrades - some places will round you up to a First (70%) if you are at 69% for example.

Didn’t take that into account, because it’s tricky to figure out how much I need as minimum.

Well technically the weightings for my second year are:

30 cred - EU law

30 cred - Tort law

20 cred - Land law

20 cred - Pub Int Law

20 cred - Jurisprudence

I don’t know how to calculate what I need as minimum (per subject) at all so I just calculated as if they were all given the same weighting. Also yes, there is a round-up but I shouldn’t be reliant on that. And technically increasing grades isn’t impossible? If that’s what you meant.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by wifd149
Didn’t take that into account, because it’s tricky to figure out how much I need as minimum.

Well technically the weightings for my second year are:

30 cred - EU law

30 cred - Tort law

20 cred - Land law

20 cred - Pub Int Law

20 cred - Jurisprudence

I don’t know how to calculate what I need as minimum (per subject) at all so I just calculated as if they were all given the same weighting. Also yes, there is a round-up but I shouldn’t be reliant on that. And technically increasing grades isn’t impossible? If that’s what you meant.

I strongly suggest talking to someone at your university. If you can find out what your real "minimum" is, I think it will help you a lot with how much pressure you put on yourself and give you a bit of breathing room / fewer regrets. I had a friend who caclulated similar to you, and was stresed for months, only to then find out after a session with a tutor that because of final year grade weight and similar things, she didn't need as much as she had thought.

"Impossible" was a reference to the need to get 85% on several essays. I don't know where you are, but there are a fair few law programmes that won't award that much in coursework or exams; the cap is 75/80%. Again, that's why it's worth talking to someone at the university.
Reply 4
Original post by Blayze
I strongly suggest talking to someone at your university. If you can find out what your real "minimum" is, I think it will help you a lot with how much pressure you put on yourself and give you a bit of breathing room / fewer regrets. I had a friend who caclulated similar to you, and was stresed for months, only to then find out after a session with a tutor that because of final year grade weight and similar things, she didn't need as much as she had thought.

"Impossible" was a reference to the need to get 85% on several essays. I don't know where you are, but there are a fair few law programmes that won't award that much in coursework or exams; the cap is 75/80%. Again, that's why it's worth talking to someone at the university.

Ooo I see where you’re at. It’s not impossible to get 75%/80% at my uni, have friends that got those marks throughout this year (got a 75% in one essay but that was formative :s-smilie: and known a few that got 85% in my cohort and the previous one), but then again they’re or they might become the top of the year so I can’t exactly (maybe I can if I actually put my all and take it seriously in time?) compare myself to them.

I just think that assuming high marks would push me harder and will get me real focused on my technique and applications in the exams (they’re next week, Friday/the next Monday). Would like to see how good I can do when I really put my all into it/them basically.
(edited 2 years ago)
Isn't 85% a publishable level? At least that's what I remember from my first degree.

Seems a pretty unrealistic thing to aim for.
Reply 6
Original post by camapplicant530
Isn't 85% a publishable level? At least that's what I remember from my first degree.

Seems a pretty unrealistic thing to aim for.

Technically not unrealistic, it’ll just push me to do more and better essentially :h: I know that in spite of what the outcome may be, I wouldn’t be empty-handed. It’s not like I’d get seriously depressed if I don’t get the 85%, provided that my average for the year is still quite high (first year was another story because I did get sorta bad results, and for jurisprudence, technically).
Reply 7
Hello
Reply 8
The 80%+ thing in more than one module is the real kicker.

I managed to get 85% in one of my final year essays. It really did feel like the culmination of all I had learnt on how to be an academic. It was something I was incredibly interested in, more so than what I chose for my dissertation.

The problem being, for me to achieve that grade, my dissertation suffered massively. I was very lucky my university had the rules they did around module weighting, otherwise I would have come just short of a 1st overall.

I also knew of someone who got 90%+ in their dissertation and someone else who got just over 90% in an exam. I will say though, talking to them made me feel like a half evolved chimp in comparison.
(edited 2 years ago)
I managed to get an 85% in one equity essay, no idea how or why.
Back to my more regular 68 or 72 now!
Reply 10
Your post has also got you needing FOUR 85% essays - unless you are the cleverest person ever, I just can't see that happening (no offense!); normally those are for people who've really excelled in one subject and as those above has said, that normally means your other subjects suffer.
Actually thinking about it, open university had different grading, you need 80% fora first so I assume 80% is easier to get? So op may be at that university.
Reply 12
Original post by Catherine1973
Actually thinking about it, open university had different grading, you need 80% fora first so I assume 80% is easier to get? So op may be at that university.

Am not at OU tho, it’s an RG at a major city (I feel stupid doing law) :colonhash: Now that I think abt it shld’ve rlly chosen another uni if I actually knew grading systems are sorta diff; it’s annoying :frown:

Technically I don’t need an exact 85%, am rlly overestimating with that number. But u never know for 3rd yr I guess? There’s still time to work on it :confused:
Reply 13
Original post by Blayze
Your post has also got you needing FOUR 85% essays - unless you are the cleverest person ever, I just can't see that happening (no offense!); normally those are for people who've really excelled in one subject and as those above has said, that normally means your other subjects suffer.

Those 85% are overestimates, and it’s not offensive if you doubt me tbh :awesome: I’m struggling to get firsts in the first place (2:2s, inconsistent 2:1s record)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ASMUK
The 80%+ thing in more than one module is the real kicker.

I managed to get 85% in one of my final year essays. It really did feel like the culmination of all I had learnt on how to be an academic. It was something I was incredibly interested in, more so than what I chose for my dissertation.

The problem being, for me to achieve that grade, my dissertation suffered massively. I was very lucky my university had the rules they did around module weighting, otherwise I would have come just short of a 1st overall.

I also knew of someone who got 90%+ in their dissertation and someone else who got just over 90% in an exam. I will say though, talking to them made me feel like a half evolved chimp in comparison.

Nice to know what are the experiences of people on your caliber :smile: The people I talked to that had 80-90% behave like they don’t know how they got it in the first place, or like they’re nothing at all; either that or they don’t like to share some strategies tbh :confused:

Also could you elaborate what does “the culmination of all I had learnt to be an academic” entails? I’d like to know how to be one? Bcus I literally YOLO everything at this point
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
1) By luck and chance? Not that I’m confident on it at all, just for the sake of overestimating rlly.

2) They tend to care about my final degree classification the most tbh; because the country I’m at don’t apply for anything like how TCs or VCs work in the UK. Am lucky in that regard, but opening positions are limited everywhere tbh. We do disclose module marks, but I’ve known some employed recently that had a 2:2 average in a year and ended up with a 2:1/first degree classification. Getting a job is also by luck honestly, but my degree class can put my foot at the door at least :h:

3) Agreed, I know that I wouldn’t come empty handed in the end after all this and not that I could do much but move on with it if anything.

N thanks for looking over my plans, it’s good to have some feedback on it :h:
Reply 16
Original post by wifd149
Nice to know what are the experiences of people on your caliber :smile: The people I talked to that had 80-90% behave like they don’t know how they got it in the first place, or like they’re nothing at all; either that or they don’t like to share some strategies tbh :confused:

Also could you elaborate what does “the culmination of all I had learnt to be an academic” entails? I’d like to know how to be one? Bcus I literally YOLO everything at this point

I will be honest and say I can only speak for essays, I was lucky enough to be able to choose my final year subjects in such a way to avoid any exams at all. I hate exams with a passion (I was **** at them) and have always felt like they are the worst possible method of testing someone's mastery of a subject.

This isn't the easiest thing for me to recollect and give pointers on, but I will give it a try. Sorry if it ends up not being helpful at all, cant help but feel its mostly word soup.

1. The first thing I remember from "feeding forward" from my previous essays was they lacked obvious and clear signposting for the reader.

2. I simply refused to just regurgitate the law anymore. It got to a point where I felt as though if I couldn't provide my own opinion, then it was hardly worth including in my essay. This could be terrible advice depending on the topic, as some are simply far more procedural than others.

2.1. Adding to the above point without it becoming a block of text. What I mean by refusing to regurgitate the law, is I started to apply it to the essay/scenario more effectively. Once I started doing this, adding my opinion on the matter became far easier.

3. The level of research I was doing (specifically for the 85% essay) was unlike anything I had ever done before. I was using sources from psychology/medical reports/historical research/statistics from the office of national statistics/specific sections of judgements. I had essentially crafted a narrative as to how a law/process was regarded 500+ years ago to how it shaped the modern perception. Do not just include things outside the remit of law willy nilly, it was incredibly relevant to the topic I was writing about.

4. This could easily be the most important thing I did. Be warned, this is only effective for essays. I stopped caring about going from a blank page to an immaculately written essay instantly. I just wrote whatever garbage my brain initially thought of, then relentlessly edited it all until I was finally happy with it. Constantly tweaking and thinking how to best structure the essay as a whole for coherence.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Catherine1973

Distinction on an OU module starts at 85%, though the Module Results Panel has the discretion to set a lower grade boundary (and usually does on OU law modules in my experience).

The OU uses full range grading, so it is possible to score high 90s though this is far from usual. I had one final year standard OU law assignment score 97%, with others in the nineties.

The OU uses a purely formulaic approach to turn module results into a degree classification. For an overall first, you need to have at least 60 credits (half a year full-time equivalent) at level 3 at Distinction (first class) standard, also you need a weighted credits score of no more than 630. The weighted credits score is the sum of (level-1) x credits x grade, where grade is 1 for Distinction (first standard), 2 for Pass 2 (2:1 standard), 3 for Pass 3 (2:2 standard) and 4 for Pass 4 (third standard). OU levels are equivalent to the year in a full-time degree course. 60 level 3 credits at Distinction plus the rest of your level 2 and 3 credit at Pass 2 standard is first class honours; it works out at 600 weighted credits score.

You cannot retake OU law modules that you passed to try for a better result.
Original post by wifd149
1) By luck and chance? Not that I’m confident on it at all, just for the sake of overestimating rlly.

2) They tend to care about my final degree classification the most tbh; because the country I’m at don’t apply for anything like how TCs or VCs work in the UK. Am lucky in that regard, but opening positions are limited everywhere tbh. We do disclose module marks, but I’ve known some employed recently that had a 2:2 average in a year and ended up with a 2:1/first degree classification. Getting a job is also by luck honestly, but my degree class can put my foot at the door at least :h:

3) Agreed, I know that I wouldn’t come empty handed in the end after all this and not that I could do much but move on with it if anything.

N thanks for looking over my plans, it’s good to have some feedback on it :h:

If you want better grades, improve the standard of your written English. I'm an examiner for a professional body and whilst we have limited discretion to mark based on the quality of spelling or grammar, we do have a lot more discretion when we are assessing how clearly a candidate's arguments have been made. Also, bear in mind, as an essay based subject you are essentially at the mercy of marker's bias and if they find it hard to understand your argument they're going to get frustrated because marking your assignment is taking too long before they can move on to the next.

Most likely you do write at a higher standard when you are submitting essays rather than posting on an internet forum but I've still picked up three habits that would really piss me off if I was marking one of your assignments:

1) You waffle a lot. Waffling wastes word count and I'd also bet money that you have excessive footnotes in your assignments! If you make your arguments succinctly, you can make more arguments, simple as that. So cut out unnecessary words and don't include content that is not directly relevant because if you do you will look like a candidate who has padded their assignment out because you haven't got enough useful things to say.

2) Your writing is disorganised. I had to read your posts more than once to understand them. Candidates who write assignments like that really annoy me because it can double the length of time I have to spend trying to understand their assignment. It also means as an examiner I will be less convinced that you understand what you are talking about.

3) In your first post, you used a lot of bullet points. I hope you don't do that in assignments. Candidates that do tend to state "what" the answer is but don't tend to demonstrate their understanding because they don't explain the "why." You'll get very little credit for an argument unless you can explain it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by AW_1983
If you want better grades, improve the standard of your written English. I'm an examiner for a professional body and whilst we have limited discretion to mark based on the quality of spelling or grammar, we do have a lot more discretion when we are assessing how clearly a candidate's arguments have been made. Also, bear in mind, as an essay based subject you are essentially at the mercy of marker's bias and if they find it hard to understand your argument they're going to get frustrated because marking your assignment is taking too long before they can move on to the next.

Most likely you do write at a higher standard when you are submitting essays rather than posting on an internet forum but I've still picked up three habits that would really piss me off if I was marking one of your assignments:

1) You waffle a lot. Waffling wastes word count and I'd also bet money that you have excessive footnotes in your assignments! If you make your arguments succinctly, you can make more arguments, simple as that. So cut out unnecessary words and don't include content that is not directly relevant because if you do you will look like a candidate who has padded their assignment out because you haven't got enough useful things to say.

2) Your writing is disorganised. I had to read your posts more than once to understand them. Candidates who write assignments like that really annoy me because it can double the length of time I have to spend trying to understand their assignment. It also means as an examiner I will be less convinced that you understand what you are talking about.

3) In your first post, you used a lot of bullet points. I hope you don't do that in assignments. Candidates that do tend to state "what" the answer is but don't tend to demonstrate their understanding because they don't explain the "why." You'll get very little credit for an argument unless you can explain it.

Sorry for the late reply because it’s been ages since I’ve last logged in!

Thanks for the feedback honestly, they are actually mostly on-point (except that my footnotes are almost nonexistent, which is an issue).

Am wondering if you got tips on problems (1) and (2)?

I am guessing that me using unnecessary words contributes the most to problem (1).

Also am curious as to how and what makes my writing/speaking style disorganised? I’m thinking that it might be because I talk about different matters in one-go…?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending