living costs & financial support

Watch
samhxll
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I worked it out and i’m only gonna have £50 a week to spend after accommodation is taken into account with my loan and grant. Obviously gonna get a job just is this gonna be grim
Rabbit2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't forget that 'gold' is to be found in dumpsters all over the world!! I supplemented my income a considerable amount by selling (and eating) what i found. I once found a 'pantry full' - over 50 cans of food. Nearly all of it was a few days over the 'sell by' date. When i was serving overseas, we often (nearly always in fact) got food in from the commissary (US embassy operation) that was 3 to 10 months out of date. Some of it was over a year out of date. This was food that was provided 'through channels' for government employees to eat. [Our jobs were "meals and quarters furnished".] Obviously, those 'dates' are for the amusement of the office staff only!!

This is not to mention all the ball points, pencils, copy paper, notebooks, etc that i also dug out of them. After uni, i was 'shopping' in a dumpster in an office park, and found: a Laserjet 2 - including paper and toner, a copy of Autocad [only 2 versions back), and a complete Microshaft Office Suite (with books). In addition, i also collected about 3 boxes of copier paper (presumably for the laserprinter). If you can, i'd recommend trying to get a job that relates to your course of study. For example, if you're doing engineering - getting a job (even if a fairly menial one) in an engineering firm would look good later - when it becomes 'job search' time. Best of luck!!
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You will probably decide to find some part time work during term time and try to save up as much as possible before uni starts.
You might be offered a small interest free student overdraft or be eligible for a student credit card with a limit below £500

For many years, I lived on less than £30 a week after paying London rent and bills.
It is possible for a healthy single uni student without any dependants to live on a weekly budget of under £40 a week after rent & bills.
Use your student discounts cards whenever possible, homecook most of your daily meals, avoid expensive tickets and nightlife event.
Stick to a very tight grocery budget, focus your shopping trips to stores selling cheaper brands, always keep an eye out for discounted products and 'buy one get free' offers.
Restrict spending on coffees, takeaways and microwaveable ready meals.

SFE maintainence loans are calculated on the basis that parents will cooperate by providing details of their household income and on the assumption that those with above average incomes assessed as financially able to contribute towards their descendants uni living expenses will do so.
Alas, often neither presumption is an accurate reflection of the reality experienced by many uni students.
samhxll
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
You will probably decide to find some part time work during term time and try to save up as much as possible before uni starts.
You might be offered a small interest free student overdraft or be eligible for a student credit card with a limit below £500

For many years, I lived on less than £30 a week after paying London rent and bills.
It is possible for a healthy single uni student without any dependants to live on a weekly budget of under £40 a week after rent & bills.
Use your student discounts cards whenever possible, homecook most of your daily meals, avoid expensive tickets and nightlife event.
Stick to a very tight grocery budget, focus your shopping trips to stores selling cheaper brands, always keep an eye out for discounted products and 'buy one get free' offers.
Restrict spending on coffees, takeaways and microwaveable ready meals.

SFE maintainence loans are calculated on the basis that parents will cooperate by providing details of their household income and on the assumption that those with above average incomes assessed as financially able to contribute towards their descendants uni living expenses will do so.
Alas, often neither presumption is an accurate reflection of the reality experienced by many uni students.
Yeah i mean i can definitely survive on £50 a week but i’m definitely not someone who doesn’t spend money on drink/etc. I’m curious about the student credit card and overdraft, when would they be offered if ever.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by samhxll)
Yeah i mean i can definitely survive on £50 a week but i’m definitely not someone who doesn’t spend money on drink/etc. I’m curious about the student credit card and overdraft, when would they be offered if ever.
When you apply for a new student bank student account or to convert your existing current account to a student account, the bank will often offer an overdraft & student credit card if you are on the electoral register and your credit score is average or above.
Last edited by londonmyst; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (45)
28.48%
No (113)
71.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed