My friends make bets on me

Watch
Anonymous018
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m part of a large friendship group, of which is heavily male dominated. I have a quite flirty personality of which they all make jokes about, and more recently there’s a joke in which they are pretending to put ‘odds’ on who I will ‘get with’ next. It isn’t behind my back, as they all openly joke about it to my face but more recently I found out that my three closest girl mates (who are in the group) have been making their own bets on me, outside of the group & outside of the joke.
I don’t really know how to feel about this... I know I’m flirty but it’s almost like my girl mates are making me out to be some sort of massive **** (I’m 18 and have a body count of one who was a long term ex, so I don’t know how this can be) rather than defending me - in a way it’s worse, because “boys will be boys” and at least they joke about it WITH me, rather than behind my back.

I really don’t know how to feel about this??? I don’t mind the joke with the others, because I’m involved and it can be funny... however I feel slightly uncomfortable with my girl mates doing this behind my back?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
£10 says you've just stumbled on the main non biological difference between men and women
Anonymous018
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
£10 says you've just stumbled on the main non biological difference between men and women
It’s difficult. As I said in my post, it’s easy to excuse the boys because “boys will be boys” (🙄) and they don’t take the joke as deep. Once the joke is made, they leave it at that. With my girl mates, their opinion of me matters to me & when you take that out of the context of the joke, and discuss it behind my back that’s what stresses me out....
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Sounds like your girl friends are jealous of or have taken negatively to the boy’s acknowledgement that you have the capacity to actually get with someone.

They’ve taken it from an in group joke to something *****y. Next time it’s joked about amongst friends I’d mention hey guys let’s stop now because I feel uncomfortable. If they respect you and are just generally having a laugh you’ll see who stops. Those who continue are being snidey.
HaydenFordz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous018)
It’s difficult. As I said in my post, it’s easy to excuse the boys because “boys will be boys” (🙄) and they don’t take the joke as deep. Once the joke is made, they leave it at that. With my girl mates, their opinion of me matters to me & when you take that out of the context of the joke, and discuss it behind my back that’s what stresses me out....
I was completely on your side u til you said the phrase, boys will be boys, I’m sorry I can’t listen to anyone that uses that
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by HaydenFordz)
I was completely on your side u til you said the phrase, boys will be boys, I’m sorry I can’t listen to anyone that uses that
Also, ‘body count’? Noooo
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Agreed. "Boys will be boys" is for when guys decide to skateboard down a staircase or wrestle in the mud. It shouldn't be used to justify sexual harrasment.
Ram Ranch
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They're not true friends. Their behaviour is crass and you need to upgrade on them.
Anonymous018
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Agreed. "Boys will be boys" is for when guys decide to skateboard down a staircase or wrestle in the mud. It shouldn't be used to justify sexual harrasment.
This is the exact reason I put it in quotation marks. I didn’t not mean for this to come across as anything but sarcastic! If anything I should have added some ‘🙄’ to make this clear, sorry!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (23)
30.26%
No (53)
69.74%

Watched Threads