rola05
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
im in year 12 rn and I want to apply to sheffield,nottingham,warwick,kings and leeds to do law. My GCSES are average af even though i didnt sit them
maths:4
eng lit and lang:66
rs:6
history:7
arabic:8
art:4
science:55

Im also on track for an AAA at a level but I feel like my *****y GCSES will hinder my chance,should I retake maths?
rola05
Rep:
?
bump
rola05
Rep:
?
(Original post by rola05)
bump
im replying so people can answer this
Georgev21
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Look at the specific requirements for each uni, some specify gcse grades others don't. If you have the time and motivation to re-take your maths without allowing it to interfere too much with your a-levels it might be worth doing.

In reality as long as you meet any specific GCSE requirements often universities aren't that bothered about them as a whole and your a-level grades are a lot more important.

I've got offers from Leeds and Manchester based solely on my a-levels.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
bump
im replying so people can answer this
Remember, it's against TSR rules to bump your thread within 24 hours of your first post. Please bear this in mind in the future.

You'll need to check individual universities for their requirements, so may have minimum entry requirements for your "core GCSE subjects" and you may have to retake them.
rola05
Rep:
?
(Original post by Georgev21)
Look at the specific requirements for each uni, some specify gcse grades others don't. If you have the time and motivation to re-take your maths without allowing it to interfere too much with your a-levels it might be worth doing.

In reality as long as you meet any specific GCSE requirements often universities aren't that bothered about them as a whole and your a-level grades are a lot more important.

I've got offers from Leeds and Manchester based solely on my a-levels.
ah okay thankyou the unis I'm applying too dont have gcse requirments but I am scared that they would favour me over someone that has done really well
rola05
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Remember, it's against TSR rules to bump your thread within 24 hours of your first post. Please bear this in mind in the future.

You'll need to check individual universities for their requirements, so may have minimum entry requirements for your "core GCSE subjects" and you may have to retake them.
I have the minimum required,its just that I feel like a uni would favour me above all the other applicants that may have higher grades than me
Culver
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’d say it’s entirely possible! Unis look at your predicted A levels more than GCSEs
rola05
Rep:
?
(Original post by Culver)
I’d say it’s entirely possible! Unis look at your predicted A levels more than GCSEs
this has definitely given me hope as I've worked my ass off this year. I'm glad to know it wasnt a waste of time thankyou
AizzyCola
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
if its any help the uni im applying to (nottingham) wanted AAB at a level (for pharmacy course) and just a 5 in maths and 6 english language GCSE, they ended up giving me an offer of ABB, so honestly the gcses dont play the biggest role in the application process! just try your best at a-level and smash the personal statement. also check the individual requirements and make sure you meet them, or your really close! you never know!
rola05
Rep:
?
(Original post by AizzyCola)
if its any help the uni im applying to (nottingham) wanted AAB at a level (for pharmacy course) and just a 5 in maths and 6 english language GCSE, they ended up giving me an offer of ABB, so honestly the gcses dont play the biggest role in the application process! just try your best at a-level and smash the personal statement. also check the individual requirements and make sure you meet them, or your really close! you never know!
Thank You so much,This has given me so much HOPE, Iwas honestly so worried abt my GCSE's even though I didnt take them thankyou so much
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have the minimum required,its just that I feel like a uni would favour me above all the other applicants that may have higher grades than me
It's usually not competitive enough for GCSEs to matter. The hard part isn't getting offers, it's getting the grades to meet them.
rola05
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
It's usually not competitive enough for GCSEs to matter. The hard part isn't getting offers, it's getting the grades to meet them.
ah okay, One of my tutors told me it would be a bad choice to study law because of my GCSE's because I dont have 9's, It's good to know that that isnt the case ig :/
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ah okay, One of my tutors told me it would be a bad choice to study law because of my GCSE's because I dont have 9's, It's good to know that that isnt the case ig :/
GCSEs would mainly be an issue for Oxford and LSE for law (and in general for Oxford). As you are applying to neither of them I doubt it is anything to worry about excessively. The only thing to note is some might require GCSE Maths at grade C/5 or above; if this is the case, you should plan to retake maths. Otherwise they aren't likely to be considered.
Culver
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
this has definitely given me hope as I've worked my ass off this year. I'm glad to know it wasnt a waste of time thankyou
I’m sure you’ll get a bunch of offers! I only got a 5 in maths and science and didn’t get any 9s and got offers from all Russell groups!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Time to sack the tutor
EU Yakov
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
tell your tutor that if she'd gotten straight 9s she probably wouldnt be doing that as a job. stupid advice.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
im in year 12 rn and I want to apply to sheffield,nottingham,warwick,kings and leeds to do law. My GCSES are average af even though i didnt sit them

Im also on track for an AAA at a level but I feel like my *****y GCSES will hinder my chance,should I retake maths?
For the majority of courses, you will be absolutely fine assuming that you meet the minimum GCSE requirements. I work in admissions for a RG Uni and we’d only be looking at your overall GCSE profile for oversubscribed courses like Law And Economics.

You can always contact your target Unis ahead of applying and ask whether they take your entire GCSE profile into account, or more typically just Eng Lang and Maths.
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Universities care far more about A-Levels, but you can check the specifics on their websites.
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
GCSEs would mainly be an issue for Oxford and LSE for law (and in general for Oxford). As you are applying to neither of them I doubt it is anything to worry about excessively. The only thing to note is some might require GCSE Maths at grade C/5 or above; if this is the case, you should plan to retake maths. Otherwise they aren't likely to be considered.
Most universities look at GCSEs to some degree. It's impossible for us to tell how much emphasis each university puts on them because that will probably vary depending on the university and how selective it can afford to be in any given year. But this binary 'GCSEs matter' vs 'GCSEs don't matter' debate is not the right way to approach things and may result in candidates being given too much hope.

It should be telling the law offerholders at the universities we have data on have noticeably better GCSEs (on average) than the applicants. They probably give off the impression of being consistent performers and safer bets. It is more likely that the OP will be trying to present themselves as being worthy of an exception or a second chance.
Last edited by Johnny ~; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (102)
27.42%
England (124)
33.33%
Belgium (29)
7.8%
Germany (40)
10.75%
Spain (8)
2.15%