how do I write the content for paper 2 question 5 for grade 9

Watch
HannahGuys
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hey guys apparently for paper 2 question what ideas I have aren't really good enough for the question my ideas are meant to be on my side but also opposes the other side that's what making it hard for me any advise.
Bc23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HannahGuys)
hey guys apparently for paper 2 question what ideas I have aren't really good enough for the question my ideas are meant to be on my side but also opposes the other side that's what making it hard for me any advise.
What is the question?
HannahGuys
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bc23)
What is the question?
People protest about the cruelty of keeping animals in captivity, but they seem

happy enough to eat meat, keep pets and visit zoos. All animals should be free!’

Write an article for a magazine in which you explain your point of view on this

statement
Bc23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

happy enough to eat meat, keep pets and visit zoos. All animals should be free!’

statement
What is your view point/main ideas about the statment
HannahGuys
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bc23)
What is your view point/main ideas about the statment
that what I am not sure about I know what to write but is my content write for a 8,9
cara_mckee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

statement
SO THEY WANT TO KNOW IF YOU CAN WRITE/FORMAT YOUR WRITING IN AN APPROPRIATE MANNER (I don't mean to shout sorry) but the point of this question lies mainly in the layout and the register (tone/formality/style) of your writing, it needs to sound like its been written in a newspaper or magazine.
But if you're struggling for content here's a brain dump from someone who's now studying English at uni and literally spends her life waffling and writing a lot from very little.

Generally: say whatever your argument is but ALSO acknowledge that is not the point of view of everyone.
so if you say your point of view is that people are actually very hypocritical about their moral values when it comes to putting them in practice. Talk maybe about how people tend to have problems with certain types of animals being exploited (traditionally domesticated animals ie, cats and dogs etc) but turn a blind eye to animals farmed as produce.
ummmmm... THEN you gotta say that yes, people are hypocritical and its wrong BUT there is also another side that you can argue. Where you can try and justify why people can be so hypocritical (its not actually as hard as it seems) you can suggest that there is more at play here- taking the zoos for example, you can say that zoos have benefits for endangered species, they do great conservation work and also provide jobs for people.

SO- I got 9s for my English GCSEs, I now study English at university and I'm on this site trying to share this little guide/tips thing I wrote for people who want to get 9s
https://notabler.wordpress.com/2021/...-english-gcse/. PLS READ, thanks
HannahGuys
Rep:
?
(Original post by cara_mckee)
SO THEY WANT TO KNOW IF YOU CAN WRITE/FORMAT YOUR WRITING IN AN APPROPRIATE MANNER (I don't mean to shout sorry) but the point of this question lies mainly in the layout and the register (tone/formality/style) of your writing, it needs to sound like its been written in a newspaper or magazine.
But if you're struggling for content here's a brain dump from someone who's now studying English at uni and literally spends her life waffling and writing a lot from very little.

Generally: say whatever your argument is but ALSO acknowledge that is not the point of view of everyone.
so if you say your point of view is that people are actually very hypocritical about their moral values when it comes to putting them in practice. Talk maybe about how people tend to have problems with certain types of animals being exploited (traditionally domesticated animals ie, cats and dogs etc) but turn a blind eye to animals farmed as produce.
ummmmm... THEN you gotta say that yes, people are hypocritical and its wrong BUT there is also another side that you can argue. Where you can try and justify why people can be so hypocritical (its not actually as hard as it seems) you can suggest that there is more at play here- taking the zoos for example, you can say that zoos have benefits for endangered species, they do great conservation work and also provide jobs for people.

SO- I got 9s for my English GCSEs, I now study English at university and I'm on this site trying to share this little guide/tips thing I wrote for people who want to get 9s
https://notabler.wordpress.com/2021/...-english-gcse/. PLS READ, thanks
Hey there thanks a lot I got some ideas thank to you. I have attempted to get some ideas for this question.

My argument is that they shouldn't be set free.

1st point They also shouldn't be set free for their own goods as some animals are near to extinction and should be kept in zoos to protect theme from becoming extinct.

2nd point counter argument They should be set free and kept as pets as a way of entertainment for people who are bored.

3rd point They shouldn't be set free as they are happy to only be eating meat as it reduces the hardwork to kill an animals to eat their meat.

when I mean point I mean this is what I will talk about in each paragraph please let me know if my ideas are good enough for a 9.
cara_mckee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there thanks a lot I got some ideas thank to you. I have attempted to get some ideas for this question.

My argument is that they shouldn't be set free.

1st point They also shouldn't be set free for their own goods as some animals are near to extinction and should be kept in zoos to protect theme from becoming extinct.

2nd point counter argument They should be set free and kept as pets as a way of entertainment for people who are bored.

3rd point They shouldn't be set free as they are happy to only be eating meat as it reduces the hardwork to kill an animals to eat their meat.

when I mean point I mean this is what I will talk about in each paragraph please let me know if my ideas are good enough for a 9.
good im glad! you could probably get a nine if you wrote pretty basic ideas but you just wrote them and argued your points really well.

- so the first point is good, I think in these kind of answers you're allowed to make up things (ignore me if I'm wrong) but you can say like, 'local zoos have actually saved x or y amount of animals and increased the population of an endangered species'- it kind of helps to really sell the point.

- your 2nd and 3rd points are a little confusing tbh. (I mean im saying this as someone who's totally on the outside so you can ignore me!)
but your counter argument is that animals should be set free, so you can't also say that they should be kept as pets for people (because then the animals wouldn't be free, they're being 'kept' so that doesn't go AGAINST you argument that they shouldn't be free, it supports it)
*For the counter argument I know it feels like you might write something that contradicts your whole argument, so I'd personally begin it with 'despite this, it can be argued that there are some benefits to...' or 'some people would say...'

- your third point i'm not exactly sure what you mean, the question is trying to say 'the people who say they would like animals be free are the same people who eat meat (which promotes industries which only breed animals to kill them for produce)

*For the third point if you want to say that animals shouldn't be free, you can say that maybe some people need to eat meat for medical reasons, or even that special diets such as veganism is effected by socioeconomic factors- so like non-animal produce is generally more expensive for example.
cara_mckee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ALSO- if you ever aren't sure why something is good or bad, consider it in terms of these three things: 1-money (does it provide jobs or does it cost a lot), 2- social impact (is it good for people or bad for people, in terms of their health or wellbeing etc) and 3- environment (is it generally good or bad for the environment) these will help your ideas considering the points be a lot more higher level, because they're making you write a magazine article about a social issue so addressing the issue's impact on society will show you're aware of the type of writing they want you to do.
HannahGuys
Rep:
?
Hey thanks for the reply I've now improved so what do you think

1. They also shouldn't be set free for their own goods as some animals are near to extinction and should be kept in zoos to protect them from becoming extinct.
2. Counter Argument Despite this animals should be set free because it helps people with specific disability such as blindness to help them navigate them whilst travelling.
3. Animals shouldn't be set free as when they eat meat this is able to make the owner richer, the country develop more and produces more manure which can be used for biofuel and can reduce pollution levels.
cara_mckee
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey thanks for the reply I've now improved so what do you think

1. They also shouldn't be set free for their own goods as some animals are near to extinction and should be kept in zoos to protect them from becoming extinct.
2. Counter Argument Despite this animals should be set free because it helps people with specific disability such as blindness to help them navigate them whilst travelling.
3. Animals shouldn't be set free as when they eat meat this is able to make the owner richer, the country develop more and produces more manure which can be used for biofuel and can reduce pollution levels.
Maybe read the statement/question like this ?

'People protest about the cruelty of keeping animals in captivity, but they (these people) are still eating meat and keeping animals as pets and visiting zoos (all these things deny animals freedom), so really the people who are protesting animal cruelty and keeping animals in captivity shouldn't be doing these things which support the things they are trying to protest against. so All animals should be free! and these people should stop being hypocrites.

All the things in the statement deny animals freedom, so when you say in the 2nd point that 'animals should be set free because it helps people with specific disability such as blindness to help them navigate them whilst travelling.' Because the statement suggests that keeping animals, like going to the zoo and eating meat all promote the captivity of animals, using animals as pets or to serve any purpose for humans is a reason for animals NOT being free. Animals aren't free if they're being used for a human purpose.

you can say instead animals should be set free as some people would argue it's unethical to keep animals as pets and treats animals as commodities, can lead to animal neglect if some people are irresponsible with their pets, so letting animals be totally free is good OR you can reason on the other hand some animals should to be kept as pets such as dogs and cats because they have been domesticated for centuries and wouldn't survive in the wild.
its a good idea to give a positive and negative for each topics, zoos, pets and meat. its better than just having for and against points. (but to establish your own argument I'd personally write about all the disadvantages associated with freeing animals, how it'd be bad for zoos, the food industry and domesticated animals, then towards the end add a part just before your conclusion where you show you can also consider how some people might argue against what you're saying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
38.38%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.73%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.49%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (45)
24.32%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
12.97%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
8.11%

Watched Threads