oo.oo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I sadly received quite disappointing GCSE grades, with 3 7's (English Lit, Lang and Maths), 4 6's, 4 5's and an E in additional maths. My current A-levels are Chemistry, Biology and Maths (also did an EPQ) but I was wondering if my GCSE grade would stop me from getting into King's even if I manage to get the required grades in A-levels (or more)?
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1) Have you actually looked on the course page to see if there is any specific GCSE requirement?
2) You application will be assessed by more than just grades - your Personal Statement.
3) You have 4 other choices - and there are plenty of other Universities offering Chemistry.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above, look to see if they even assess your GCSEs when applying; I strongly suspect they don't really use them much other than specific grades for English language/maths, except maybe for medicine and/or dentistry there. Also KCL isn't an especially well known chemistry department as far as I'm aware so I doubt they will be that stringent anyway.
oo.oo
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
1) Have you actually looked on the course page to see if there is any specific GCSE requirement?
2) You application will be assessed by more than just grades - your Personal Statement.
3) You have 4 other choices - and there are plenty of other Universities offering Chemistry.
I have looked on the the course page and I can't see anything about GCSE requirements. However, I haven't heard many King's students with GCSE grades that are similar to mine and are usually all A* and A's.
I do understand that other aspects of my application will be assessed too and I hope to do the best I can to present an admirable personal statement since King's is my desired University to attend.
oo.oo
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
As above, look to see if they even assess your GCSEs when applying; I strongly suspect they don't really use them much other than specific grades for English language/maths, except maybe for medicine and/or dentistry there. Also KCL isn't an especially well known chemistry department as far as I'm aware so I doubt they will be that stringent anyway.
Their page don't say anything about assessing GCSE's, which is great but I fear they won't put in much consideration regardless of my A-levels as I've heard they only take students that have consistent good grades. However, if the chemistry department aren't too strict about GCSE's grades that's great. Thank you.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by oo.oo)
Their page don't say anything about assessing GCSE's, which is great but I fear they won't put in much consideration regardless of my A-levels as I've heard they only take students that have consistent good grades. However, if the chemistry department aren't too strict about GCSE's grades that's great. Thank you.
I think you're overthinking it, I would be very surprised if that was the case. Bear in mind even Cambridge doesn't really care about GCSEs (and Oxford only does because their research shows it correlates to better success on their own degree programmes, while LSE use them just because they get so many applications and don't interview they need some other measure to distinguish between applicants), so it's really not a big thing.
flash_tpwk
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It may be an indicator, simply for the reasons that they would feel if you can't a*s at GCSE you would struggle at a level. But all you can do is try!
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
87% of applicants to BSc Chemistry at King's get an offer. And that's even higher for MSci. If you have the right predicted grades, relax.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.26%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.87%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (17)
7.39%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (55)
23.91%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (28)
12.17%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.39%

Watched Threads