Chemistry AS Level - Ionisation energies

Watch
Pringlewingle
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The question says:
Electron configurations for atoms of different elements are shown below.
Which electron configuration represents the element with the largest first ionisation energy?
A 1s2 2s2
B 1s2 2s2 2p4
C 1s2 2s2 2p6
D 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2

The answer is C but I don’t understand how?? I thought it would be A because the electrons are closer to the nucleus so more energy would be required to remove them.
Please help!!
gogrizz123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pringlewingle)
The question says:
Electron configurations for atoms of different elements are shown below.
Which electron configuration represents the element with the largest first ionisation energy?
A 1s2 2s2
B 1s2 2s2 2p4
C 1s2 2s2 2p6
D 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2

The answer is C but I don’t understand how?? I thought it would be A because the electrons are closer to the nucleus so more energy would be required to remove them.
Please help!!
A is Be
B is Oxygen
C is Neon
D is calcium
C is the right answer because we know 1st IE increases across a group due to increased nuclear charge, and Neon is the element with the highest charge.
simxne_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A = Beryllium (Be) / B = Oxygen (O) / C = Neon (Ne) / D = Magnesium (Mg)

Yes, the trend in first ionisation energy increases across a period.
The atomic radius (ie the distance from the outermost electrons and the nucleus) decreases (across period 2) because the nuclear charge increases, due to the increase in protons. This increase in protons will make the atom's nucleus more positive, increasing the attraction for electrons. This means that from A to B to C, the attraction of electrons increases. (This increased attraction means that more energy will be required to remove the first electron, thus increasing the first IE).

Have you learnt the graph of first IEs across a period? Just because I think sometimes it helps if you know that pattern.

I don't know if I explained that very well, but I hope it helps!
Pringlewingle
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by simxne_)
A = Beryllium (Be) / B = Oxygen (O) / C = Neon (Ne) / D = Magnesium (Mg)

Yes, the trend in first ionisation energy increases across a period.
The atomic radius (ie the distance from the outermost electrons and the nucleus) decreases (across period 2) because the nuclear charge increases, due to the increase in protons. This increase in protons will make the atom's nucleus more positive, increasing the attraction for electrons. This means that from A to B to C, the attraction of electrons increases. (This increased attraction means that more energy will be required to remove the first electron, thus increasing the first IE).

Have you learnt the graph of first IEs across a period? Just because I think sometimes it helps if you know that pattern.

I don't know if I explained that very well, but I hope it helps!
Wow thanks so much!! Makes so much sense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads