Blizzard121
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I've got an offer (and firmed) Durham University for Japanese Studies. But now I'm worried that I won't find the course very interesting (i.e., not a lot of cultural modules to pick from).

I didn't apply to Newcastle University, but I've had a look at their course online, and it looks very interesting to me.

Now I'm wondering whether I should try to get into Newcastle for Japanese through clearing this year (or if that doesn't happen, tkaing a gap year and reapplying next year).

Does anyone have any advice or experience about either course, and what I should do now? Thank you so much!
Blizzard121
Rep:
?
Bump
Stumpy1001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Blizzard121)
Hi,

I've got an offer (and firmed) Durham University for Japanese Studies. But now I'm worried that I won't find the course very interesting (i.e., not a lot of cultural modules to pick from).

I didn't apply to Newcastle University, but I've had a look at their course online, and it looks very interesting to me.

Now I'm wondering whether I should try to get into Newcastle for Japanese through clearing this year (or if that doesn't happen, tkaing a gap year and reapplying next year).

Does anyone have any advice or experience about either course, and what I should do now? Thank you so much
When I applied as a mature student I had to do an exam at Durham (I wanted to study Chinese). I stayed over night to get a feel for the place.
The long and short of it is that apart from the University itself there wasn't much scope to meet Chinese people to practice with. This was ultimately why I settled on SOAS. Lots of Uni's all of which have Chinese students, Chinese people working in the capital, tourists etc.

I have said this on other forums before, if you think being able to understand your language teacher is a guarantee you will actually understand real natives, then you are in for a rude awakening. Its not all about the prestige of the Uni (Durham is better than SOAS, I would imagine its also better than Newcastle). What you learn in the classroom you are going to have to take out into the real world if you truly want to achieve fluency.

You may struggle to find people to practice with.

Food for though when making your decision.
Last edited by Stumpy1001; 1 month ago
Blizzard121
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stumpy1001)
When I applied as a mature student I had to do an exam at Durham (I wanted to study Chinese). I stayed over night to get a feel for the place.
The long and short of it is that apart from the University itself there wasn't much scope to meet Chinese people to practice with. This was ultimately why I settled on SOAS. Lots of Uni's all of which have Chinese students, Chinese people working in the capital, tourists etc.

I have said this on other forums before, if you think being able to understand your language teacher is a guarantee you will actually understand real natives, then you are in for a rude awakening. Its not all about the prestige of the Uni (Durham is better than SOAS, I would imagine its also better than Newcastle). What you learn in the classroom you are going to have to take out into the real world if you truly want to achieve fluency.

You may struggle to find people to practice with.

Food for though when making your decision.
Thanks for the reply, that’s definitely something to think about. When you stayed at Durham, did you like the university (facilities, people, etc)?
Newcastle University Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello! I graduated from Newcastle last year, and although not Japanese, I did do French so was part of the modern languages school and Newcastle was incredible! The teachers are so amazing and the opportunity to do a year abroad is so so good..! We also have a language resource centre which offers loads of chance to speak in your target language either through conversation classes within the uni or to other universities around the world (including Japan).

If you have any questions feel free to speak to some of our current students via unibuddy https://www.ncl.ac.uk/study/contact/unibuddy/

Hope that helps,
Mollie!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise