g5712
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I’m in year 9 and recently chose my options, which included French and Spanish. Loads of people have said it’s too much work but is it? I’m top set for both of them and I don’t currently struggle but people said it was a stupid choice. Anyone got any experiences/thoughts on doing two languages for GCSE?
aflowers
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. I think it really depends on the person. If languages come naturally to you and you find them reasonably easy then I'm sure it will be fine. I'm in year 10 and one of my friends is doing Spanish, French and German for gcse and she is really enjoying the courses. Spanish and French compliment each other really well and I think in the future, two languages will look really good on your future applications to sixth form and university!
cherubaimee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by g5712)
Hi, I’m in year 9 and recently chose my options, which included French and Spanish. Loads of people have said it’s too much work but is it? I’m top set for both of them and I don’t currently struggle but people said it was a stupid choice. Anyone got any experiences/thoughts on doing two languages for GCSE?
Hiii! I did both French and Spanish for GCSEs and whilst they are hard work, if you enjoy them you will do really well! I got an 8 in Spanish and a 7 in French. One thing I would say is make sure if you don't understand anything, ask your teacher to go over it as soon as possible otherwise you'll fall behind.
g5712
Rep:
?
(Original post by aflowers)
Hi. I think it really depends on the person. If languages come naturally to you and you find them reasonably easy then I'm sure it will be fine. I'm in year 10 and one of my friends is doing Spanish, French and German for gcse and she is really enjoying the courses. Spanish and French compliment each other really well and I think in the future, two languages will look really good on your future applications to sixth form and university!
3 languages? Wow! I’d love to be able to do a third but sadly my school doesn’t offer it. What options is she doing alongside it?
g5712
Rep:
?
(Original post by cherubaimee)
Hiii! I did both French and Spanish for GCSEs and whilst they are hard work, if you enjoy them you will do really well! I got an 8 in Spanish and a 7 in French. One thing I would say is make sure if you don't understand anything, ask your teacher to go over it as soon as possible otherwise you'll fall behind.
Ooh cool, which exam board are did you do and which of the two languages did you find easier/more enjoyable?
cherubaimee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did Edexcel for both! I found Spanish easier as I'd studied it since year 7 but I think I picked up French very quickly because I started it from scratch in year 10, so both about the same difficulty honestly I found french quite a lot harder in speaking especially though because the pronunciation is so much more complicated so that's something I'd focus on more!
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did 3 and I found them to be the easiest GCSEs. The standard required at that level isn't exactly high. If you enjoy languages, go for it.
g5712
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
I did 3 and I found them to be the easiest GCSEs. The standard required at that level isn't exactly high. If you enjoy languages, go for it.
Wow 3! Which 3 did you do?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by g5712)
Wow 3! Which 3 did you do?
French, German and Russian.
AI073
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by g5712)
HI,

I was in the exact same position as you two years ago. I was in top set french, and chose to do Spanish in Y9. After Y9, I had the option of either dropping one language or continuing both. In my school, you had to do at least one language and a total of 10 subjects. I despise all the creative subjects so I stuck with doing both French and Spanish. After learning both courses (I do AQA for both BTW), I can confirm that they are two of my favourite subjects. Sadly, I wont be doing them for A-levels but I hope to continue with them outside of formal education.

As for the courses, I can tell you that they are both incredibly similar. Because of this, you will often find huge amounts of overlap in the languages. If you learn one language, you will find that you already have the set of skills to learn the other (e.g. revision methods/ linguistic brain). Also, learning both simultaneously allows you to better understand the finer nuances of the languages. For example, In french, you will learn the future simple tense. Essentially, you take the infinitive of a verb and stick the correct ending on. In Spanish, it is exactly the same. You take the infinitive, and stick the correct ending on! All of these similarities make it incredibly easy to learn both languages.

Some of my friends look at me strangely when they remember I do 2 languages but they tend to be fairly limited with their own MFL skills so naturally find it difficult. Don’t worry about what others think! One of the main problems that some of my other friends who do both languages find is that they find it difficult to distinguish vocabulary from the two different languages. I don’t find this to be a problem since I find my Spanish often compliments my french! For example, in Spanish, there’s a phrase “vale la pena” which means “it is worth it”. In french, it is “valait la peine”. If I hadn’t have already learned the Spanish translation, I would have found it much more difficult to learn the french version!

I find that I prefer Spanish to french because in many ways, it is much simpler. However, if you find that you want to utilise your time efficiently, I would suggest you go with two languages. The exams for both follow the exact same structure. If you learn the exam technique for one, it is incredibly easy to learn it for the other. In essence, the only differences between the two in the vocab/slight grammar nuances and the cultural aspect! Basically, It is easier to learn how to answer an exam for French and Spanish than it would be for French and Maths, since they are two completely different subjects.

Also, there is the obvious benefit of knowing two languages! I find that if I were to speak to someone online, I can easily converse with them in both french and Spanish. If I had only studied one, this wouldn’t be the case! Therefore, I believe it is incredibly useful to study both.

Bottom line, Learning the two languages was one of the best decisions I made and I stand by them, even two years after picking them. If you don’t struggle with it now, you should be ok in the future as the complexity doesn’t increase drastically as you go along. You just learn more cool stuff. I personally love learning how to articulate the same though it many languages and I think it also impresses others!

Bonne chance/ Buena suerte!
LVinoth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't do it.
sabrina03x
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by g5712)
Honestly, I know someone who did both French and Spanish and everyone used to laugh at them and say that they are 'doing too much work' but the person loved doing two languages! If you enjoy languages do not let anyone change your mind and call it a 'stupid choice', my friend was also in both top sets for French and Spanish. If you don't fully see yourself doing two languages then ofc its up to you, but if you know you might regret later down the line not taking French and Spanish then I'd say go for it! (Schools, universities and employers love seeing people with a knowledge of different languages too so it's an added bonus). Also it is important to think about what subject you would take instead if you choose not to take one of the languages and if you would honestly prefer it over taking two languages for GCSE. A lot of the times the people who are telling you its a 'stupid choice' are the same people who personally struggle with languages, and obviously everyone is different and you know yourself better than anyone else
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's perfectly doable. I did French and Spanish for GCSEs at the same time and I got an A* in French and an A in Spanish.

I then did GCSE Italian three years later and got an A.

If you're linguistically minded you'll be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (198)
44%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.78%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (94)
20.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.44%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (26)
5.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed