?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What is it like doing 4 Alevels?
x_cait13_x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Really stressful some were easier but still hard.
Disko0207
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 16allinh)
It's hell. Mine were all essay based and I had breakdowns everyday.
midnightskies0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 16allinh)
I'm in year 12 currently doing 4 A-levels at AS level. It's definitely manageable in the first year but I am going to drop down to 3 for A2 as I've heard it's much harder and often you don't actually need 4 a-levels to go to university or wherever in the future.
username5695598
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Disko0207)
It's hell. Mine were all essay based and I had breakdowns everyday.
did u end up dropping any and what did u get
E3student
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is manageable but it definitely depends on your subjects. One of my friends picked 2 sciences, maths and history and found the workload too much. I am coping with my 4 because I find one subject easier than the rest.

What subjects are you thinking of taking?
x_cait13_x
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've just finished my a levels I did all essay subjects, history, rs, criminology and welsh baccalaureate. I didn't drop any of them they were difficult to balance the work load but if your determined to do well it helps. It all payed off as I've completely finished today.
16allinh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
(Original post by E3student)
It is manageable but it definitely depends on your subjects. One of my friends picked 2 sciences, maths and history and found the workload too much. I am coping with my 4 because I find one subject easier than the rest.

I was thinking of taking the same as your friend! Maths bio chem and history. I don’t think I can let history go I like it too much
16allinh
Rep:
?
(Original post by x_cait13_x)
I've just finished my a levels I did all essay subjects, history, rs, criminology and welsh baccalaureate. I didn't drop any of them they were difficult to balance the work load but if your determined to do well it helps. It all payed off as I've completely finished today.
Thank you. Well done!
CletusYeetus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've been doing almost the equivalent of 4 A levels (Maths + Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry). For these particular subjects, I found no issues with workload, though I did largely neglect Chemistry, as I don't need it for Uni and I had only chosen it because my Sixth form doesn't allow students to take only three courses if one is F Maths.

If you were to chose essay-based A levels, four would definitely be too much.

If you for some reason have to take a fourth choice as I did, make sure it's something fun (could even be a Btec) that won't take too much study time out of the three subjects that you'll actually need for Uni.

Edit: I just saw that you want to do Maths, Bio, Chem & History. Don't. Bio and Chem are drastically more difficult at A level compared to GCSE, each having two large textbooks of detailed information that must be remembered. I'd advise leaving out History, as A level Maths introduces some new stuff which gets used in both Bio and Chem, whereas History would just burden you with excessive work. You can still study History in your own time as a hobby if you're that interested, that way you get more freedom with which parts of history you actually learn about.
Last edited by CletusYeetus; 1 month ago
midnightskies0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Yes, agree with this so much! I took maths and further maths as two of my options so definitely have had less work than people who took completely unrelated subjects though. Best advice is to just pick what you enjoy really and you can't really go far wrong!
16allinh
Rep:
?
(Original post by CletusYeetus)
I've been doing almost the equivalent of 4 A levels (Maths + Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry). For these particular subjects, I found no issues with workload, though I did largely neglect Chemistry, as I don't need it for Uni and I had only chosen it because my Sixth form doesn't allow students to take only three courses if one is F Maths.

If you were to chose essay-based A levels, four would definitely be too much.

If you for some reason have to take a fourth choice as I did, make sure it's something fun (could even be a Btec) that won't take too much study time out of the three subjects that you'll actually need for Uni.

Edit: I just saw that you want to do Maths, Bio, Chem & History. Don't. Bio and Chem are drastically more difficult at A level compared to GCSE, each having two large textbooks of detailed information that must be remembered. I'd advise leaving out History, as A level Maths introduces some new stuff which gets used in both Bio and Chem, whereas History would just burden you with excessive work. You can still study History in your own time as a hobby if you're that interested, that way you get more freedom with which parts of history you actually learn about.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was thinking but it’s actually letting history go. It’s one of my favourite and most enjoyed subject, along with the other 3, so I’m probably just going to have to let it go
sophvx293
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! i do AS history going on to A level and it’s a lot of revision needed, I know that biology and chemistry have lots too, so it would be lots of revision based work. So i would recommend doing 3, otherwise if your still sure you want to do 4, you could drop one after AS
Emily5243
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did bio, chem, maths, and physics and it was hard but manageable, although I don't know how much work there is for history and how different that is to the physics workload. I needed at least AAA for uni so I would always tell myself that if my 4th subject got in the way of my other 3, then I would drop it so I didn't compromise my chances of getting AAA. I would say maybe try all 4 to begin with to see whether it would be possible to handle the workload and then you can make your mind up about if you want to drop a subject later on.
16allinh
Rep:
?
(Original post by sophvx293)
Hi! i do AS history going on to A level and it’s a lot of revision needed, I know that biology and chemistry have lots too, so it would be lots of revision based work. So i would recommend doing 3, otherwise if your still sure you want to do 4, you could drop one after AS
How is the amount of content compared to gcse for history? Because at GCSE I’m very good at just remembering dates etc I only really need to revise events like Manchuria or invasion of Poland. I heard that it becomes less important as you move into alevel so would I struggle massively or not?
JAckieee.chan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends on the subject and how well you did at O-level. If you have Maths, Physics, Chem and Bio then it will be easier than other combinations. Most of my friends had that combination and did pretty well without giving out their social life. Whereas there was this one girl who had Maths, Geo, Eng, History and she did pretty bad and also never saw her outside of school walking or playing.
Last edited by JAckieee.chan; 1 month ago
dingdongbtches
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

what subjects are you doing:?
E3student
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dingdongbtches)
what subjects are you doing:?
Maths, economics, geography, sociology
RoseVet
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! I’m in y13 and I do maths, chemistry, physics and biology. It is A LOT of work and you need to be fully prepared to sacrifice free time to work for them. I’m not a particularly social person, but if you were it could be quite difficult to work during free periods when all your friends are off and chatting/playing games. It’s hard to properly judge it because our year has been very different with Covid, but I’ve been pretty stressed during our internal exams, so in a year with “proper” exams I can imagine it would be pretty tough.
However you can always take 4 and if it gets too much drop one, but I would go in with the mindset of completing all 4 as otherwise it’s a year wasted on a subject that you don’t get a grade towards.
Hope this helps!
16allinh
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RoseVet)
Hi! I’m in y13 and I do maths, chemistry, physics and biology. It is A LOT of work and you need to be fully prepared to sacrifice free time to work for them. I’m not a particularly social person, but if you were it could be quite difficult to work during free periods when all your friends are off and chatting/playing games. It’s hard to properly judge it because our year has been very different with Covid, but I’ve been pretty stressed during our internal exams, so in a year with “proper” exams I can imagine it would be pretty tough.
However you can always take 4 and if it gets too much drop one, but I would go in with the mindset of completing all 4 as otherwise it’s a year wasted on a subject that you don’t get a grade towards.
Hope this helps!
Thank you! I’m not the most social person either I think I’ll go with 4 and see how it goes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed