What to gift someone in PICU

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A friend was admitted to a PICU over an hour away as they didn't have any space near our local area. Understandably he's feeling very isolated and I'd like to get him a small thing to just say I'm here. Little gestures mean a lot to him - obviously just can't see him right now.

Any ideas for what would be appropriate?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That acronym could mean more than one thing - do you mean paediatric intensive care unit?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
That acronym could mean more than one thing - do you mean paediatric intensive care unit?
Oh sorry, I wasn't aware. Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit. He's 24.
Bexjw
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’d check with the unit first. Some are quite strict on what can come in or out for patients. Based on their guidance, you can then plan what to get. The last thing you’d want is to send something and him to never get it.

Photos are always a nice thing to send, especially if you can’t visit.
Last edited by Bexjw; 1 month ago
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'd be very careful with what to give him and how to give him it (e.g. don't use plastic bags, don't have anything that can be used to cut ones self or to tie around the neck, etc.). There are loads of restrictions tbh. You're best off asking the nurses there what's allowed.

For context, I'm speaking as someone who lost a loved one in an acute ward because someone brought in an item that she then used to end her life. Be very careful.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I see. It is probably best to speak to the unit directly about what is and isn't allowed as they may not allow some seemingly innocuous things for safety reasons.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Bexjw)
I’d check with the unit first. Some are quite strict on what can come in or out for patients. Based on their guidance, you can then plan what to get. The last thing you’d want is to send something and him to never get it.

Photos are always a nice thing to send, especially if you can’t visit.
Photos is a good idea, thank you for your reply. I'm worried that might make him feel worse though. He does love cats... maybe some pictures of my cat!
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe ordering him a takeaway (If permitted, they generally are) would be a nice idea (If he doesn't have an ED OFC).

NHS food is abysmal.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A good book? Might I recommend the Game of Thrones series. The second one got me through my last hospitalization. Although sometimes the meds give you blurred vision or poor concentration so it depends what he's on.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
I'd be very careful with what to give him and how to give him it (e.g. don't use plastic bags, don't have anything that can be used to cut ones self or to tie around the neck, etc.). There are loads of restrictions tbh. You're best off asking the nurses there what's allowed.

For context, I'm speaking as someone who lost a loved one in an acute ward because someone brought in an item that she then used to end her life. Be very careful.
Oh my goodness that's absolutely awful. I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm aware of the different restrictions for his particular unit but I'm struggling to fit something within what will 110% be safe and not upsetting to him.

We are quite gift-y which is why, I'm not just naively wanting to send a 'get well soon' gift etc. Usually we go for stupid mugs or plants but that's obviously a no go.
Bexjw
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Photos is a good idea, thank you for your reply. I'm worried that might make him feel worse though. He does love cats... maybe some pictures of my cat!
Of course! A nice handwritten letter or card would always go well!

A takeaway is a nice gesture but again, just check with the unit - our PICU won’t accept some local takeaways due to them smuggling contraband in for the patients - mainly drugs! Also check if there’s any specific days they get a takeaway or whether it can be at any time (as a nice surprise).
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does he enjoy playing card games? Obviously metal tins wouldn't be safe.
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bexjw)

A takeaway is a nice gesture but again, just check with the unit - our PICU won’t accept some local takeaways due to them smuggling contraband in for the patients - mainly drugs!
Sorry for slightly derailing the thread, OP.

But it's disgusting that people would do that, not the patients OFC, but the people smuggling the drugs in.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh my goodness that's absolutely awful. I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm aware of the different restrictions for his particular unit but I'm struggling to fit something within what will 110% be safe and not upsetting to him.

We are quite gift-y which is why, I'm not just naively wanting to send a 'get well soon' gift etc. Usually we go for stupid mugs or plants but that's obviously a no go.
Colouring book? Though they will probably have access to those on the unit already.

Could you maybe make a scrapbook of some kind with photos of his mates and stuff you have been up to in the past? Or just things he like to cheer him up?
Bexjw
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by glassalice)

But it's disgusting that people would do that, not the patients OFC, but the people smuggling the drugs in.
I know! Two wards reject the orders from certain takeaways because patients call for a takeaway and then ask for “extra X”. They then pay the drivers in cash which covers the cost. Sometimes they put it wrapped up in pots of sauces or hidden in the food! Such a greedy mindset and selfish when pretty much exploiting people in a vulnerable position.
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bexjw)
I know! Two wards reject the orders from certain takeaways because patients call for a takeaway and then ask for “extra X”. They then pay the drivers in cash which covers the cost. Sometimes they put it wrapped up in pots of sauces or hidden in the food! Such a greedy mindset and selfish when pretty much exploiting people in a vulnerable state of mind.

The police should put more effort into prevent **** like this.
Anonymous #1
Maybe ordering him a takeaway (If permitted, they generally are) would be a nice idea (If he doesn't have an ED OFC).

NHS food is abysmal.
Unfortunately he does have an ED, not why he’s been admitted but is the root cause of his wider mental health. What a FAB idea though! I’d never of thought of that so thank you for sharing.
Anonymous #1

I have to say too that’s not something I would have ever thought happened. People are so disgusting. Anyone in the PICU is at one of if not the most vulnerable points in their life.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
Colouring book? Though they will probably have access to those on the unit already.

Could you maybe make a scrapbook of some kind with photos of his mates and stuff you have been up to in the past? Or just things he like to cheer him up?
Another really good idea, I’m pleased I posted the thread now. Thank you! I think a scrapbook might overwhelm him, a lot of effort would need to go into that and it’s not that I don’t of course want to put in all the effort in the world but I don’t want to spark any (wrongly felt) guilt in him which he can easily fall to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (73)
38.22%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.95%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.09%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise