Do I still need to take the ILETS exam ?

Watch
Lin_09
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I got accepted to the University of Manchester with an A* in IGCSE English as a Second Language, which meets the standard for English language proficiency at UoM. Does that exempt me from having to prove knowledge of the English language when applying to a student visa ? Kindly note that IGCSE ESL is not included on the UKVI's approved list of SELT.
Last edited by Lin_09; 4 weeks ago
QZ_Zhu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't quote me on this, but I have heard that unless you are a British citizen (or permanent residence?) you will most likely have to take IELTS and I don't think GCSE English really counts. But if you managed to do decently at GCSE, IELTS shouldn't need too much additional preparation. I would confirm with teacher at you're school just in case.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lin_09)
I got accepted to the University of Manchester with an A* in IGCSE English as a Second Language, which meets the standard for English language proficiency at UoM. Does that exempt me from having to prove knowledge of the English language when applying to a student visa ? Kindly note that IGCSE ESL is not included on the UKVI's approved list of SELT.
If UoM did not include an English Language condition in your offer and will be issuing you with a CAS, then you don’t need an IELTS for the purposes of obtaining a visa.

To confirm this, I would either speak to either their admissions team or the international office.

(Original post by QZ_Zhu)
Don't quote me on this, but I have heard that unless you are a British citizen (or permanent residence?) you will most likely have to take IELTS and I don't think GCSE English really counts.
This isn’t true if the Uni is the sponsor for a CAS for the purposes of obtaining a visa. They can accept GCSE/IGCSE English.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (43)
28.29%
No (109)
71.71%

Watched Threads