Report Thread starter 14 years ago
http://education.guardian.co.uk/raci...742973,00.html

:eek:
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thank you for bringing a 2.5 year old story to everyone's attention.
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Looks like a typical grauniad article to me : Big claims with absolutely no evidence to support them.
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's from June 23, 2002. :rolleyes:

Hey, London_1 were you that Sloaney person?
yawn
Report 14 years ago
Although the news item you linked is out of date, the accusations are still being levelled and are therefore current.

I was watching Benjamin Zapheniah on TV the other day and he said he had been invited to become a 'celebrity' fellow at Oxford - he said the offer was because they wanted a 'token' black. They withdrew the offer when they realised it would result in a lot of 'flak' from their supporters.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Although the news item you linked is out of date, the accusations are still being levelled and are therefore current.

I was watching Benjamin Zapheniah on TV the other day and he said he had been invited to become a 'celebrity' fellow at Oxford - he said the offer was because they wanted a 'token' black. They withdrew the offer when they realised it would result in a lot of 'flak' from their supporters.
So because everyone fears being the token black guy, no one takes up fellowship. Good logic there ey?
I read that article and think its utter balls.
Anyone that has gone to one of the elite universities will have seen there are huge numbers of asian students, a particuly large amount of irish students (when you figure that ireland is 'overseas' making it much harder for them to come here anyway so less demand)
Funniest thing i heard the other day, is that reasearch has shown medical schools ar racially biased against bangladeshis. Not indian and pakistani - far from it, the numbers of indian students are far above the proportion of the population they represent, just bangladeshi.
Bloody ridiculous.
I think its high time they realised the problems are nothing to do with unis, and everything to do with schools. Unis should not change their standrds because the school/social system is cocking up
yawn
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
So because everyone fears being the token black guy, no one takes up fellowship. Good logic there ey?
I read that article and think its utter balls.
Anyone that has gone to one of the elite universities will have seen there are huge numbers of asian students, a particuly large amount of irish students (when you figure that ireland is 'overseas' making it much harder for them to come here anyway so less demand)
Funniest thing i heard the other day, is that reasearch has shown medical schools ar racially biased against bangladeshis. Not indian and pakistani - far from it, the numbers of indian students are far above the proportion of the population they represent, just bangladeshi.
Bloody ridiculous.
I think its high time they realised the problems are nothing to do with unis, and everything to do with schools. Unis should not change their standrds because the school/social system is cocking up
I think you may have misunderstood the first part about the fellowship offer. It was withdrawn before Benjamin had a chance to accept/reject due to the pressure put on Oxford to withdraw it.

Regarding the rest of your post I cannot disagree with anything you say as I have not studied at either of the institutions. However, it would be good to hear the opinions of those who it is suggested suffer from the perceived bias of Oxbridge (no other 'elite' unis have been accused of the same thing as far as I am aware) and have studied at Oxbridge. I wonder whether they would consider themselves as 'tokens'? I talk specifically of African/Afro Caribbean and Bangladeshis - other Asian groups not having been subjected to the same level of (alledged) bias.

Incidentally, I was under the impression that students from the Republic of Ireland were in the same category as other EU students. Obviously those from Northern Ireland are 'home' students.
tkfmbp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I go to Durham. It's fair to say there are lots and lots of Asian students.
yawn
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tkfmbp)
I go to Durham. It's fair to say there are lots and lots of Asian students.
When people refer to the 'elite' universities they usually mean Oxbridge.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
I think you may have misunderstood the first part about the fellowship offer. It was withdrawn before Benjamin had a chance to accept/reject due to the pressure put on Oxford to withdraw it.

Regarding the rest of your post I cannot disagree with anything you say as I have not studied at either of the institutions. However, it would be good to hear the opinions of those who it is suggested suffer from the perceived bias of Oxbridge (no other 'elite' unis have been accused of the same thing as far as I am aware) and have studied at Oxbridge. I wonder whether they would consider themselves as 'tokens'? I talk specifically of African/Afro Caribbean and Bangladeshis - other Asian groups not having been subjected to the same level of (alledged) bias.

Incidentally, I was under the impression that students from the Republic of Ireland were in the same category as other EU students. Obviously those from Northern Ireland are 'home' students.
thats true, when we say irish students we mean n.irish. but its still mroe hassle to come to uk than to go to queens for example.
I think the very fact there is 'bias' against bangladeshis actually shows that there is no intrinisic racial bias in the elite universites
Bangladeshis in the UK are far more likely to live in deprived areas, and so have worse education that indian or pakistani.
And tbh most of the interviewing panels are still predominantly white, and i've spent alot of time around asians, and i still can't tell a bangladeshi apart. (can usually figure pakistani and indian from name, and tamil area of india is always easy). So i think the likelyhood of someone going 'hes a bangladeshi, don't want that sort here' is quite unlikely.
It is not just oxbridge by the way. it certainl seem more pronounced there, but this trend is seen throughout russell group unis. Even in KCL, UCL imperial etc - in deep dark london where the blakc population is huige - there are still relatively few of them at uni
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by an Siarach)
Looks like a typical grauniad article to me : Big claims with absolutely no evidence to support them.
I take it you are a Private Eye reader?
MC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I take it you are a Private Eye reader?
My sentiments exactly....
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)

Maybe he's wrong. Maybe Oxford genuinely did want to make him a fellow but he's become so accustomed to wallowing in his own victimhood that he can no longer distinguish an honor from an insult.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mad Caddie)
My sentiments exactly....
I doubt that very much.
MC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I doubt that very much.
Your doubts would be unfounded then. I find it very satirical. Ian Hislop is a diamond! :bootyshak
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i dont think there is that much racism. there are alot less nigros and chinese/indian/blacks than whites in the UK hence the term 'ethnic minority' combine this with indian culture supprting women remaining in the home; chinese and asians taking over their parents cornershops/restaurants and the blacks making more kids as is common in the culture, it is correct that due to culture and minority status that there would be less ambition among minorities to go uni, in addition to the fear of being a minority. due to the overall lower numbers of minors applying to uni generally, it is alot less likely they will apply to oxford let alone get in
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i am south american indian btw, not a ku klux klan member
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mad Caddie)
Your doubts would be unfounded then. I find it very satirical. Ian Hislop is a diamond! :bootyshak
Really? I used to love the "Esteemed Organ" Havn't read it in ages.
padraic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's another example of the Guardian/Left in general finding a 'victim' so the ritual of feeling their pain may be carried out. I know this particular article is nearly antique, but wasn't it just the other day that the NHS was labelled as ''institutionally racist?'' Happens quite frequently these days. The Met, Greater Manchester Police Force but to name a few have also been humiliated with this disgusting smear. Maybe Indians, Pakistanis, Irish and black Africans happen to generally be weaker candidates.
shadowkin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
padraic-your an idiot. stop trying to generalise 4 groups of people.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.11%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.4%
No I don't (546)
48.49%

Watched Threads