Are working class guys racist?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Those who haven't been to uni but are working in essential sectors like shops etc?
Are they more likely to date women from their own cultures?
Vapordave
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Probably not, if they're not EDL types that is.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
whether someone is racist or not does not depend on their social class
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m intrigued as to what thought process lead to you asking this question.
NonIndigenous
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think they're any more or less racist than any other social class.

The 'upper classes' also have their funny worldviews.

If working classes tend to have problems with other races and immigrants, its usually because they often compete for the same jobs in the labour market.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think I am, no, but the definition of a 'racist' seems to differ from person to person.
Last edited by ROTL94; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
You sound like a classist **** tbh. It's incredibly ignorant to think that someone is racist simply because of their social class. It's a judgemental generalisation.
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lower paid workers (not necessarily the working class) tend to hold more socially conservative views than their higher paid counterparts, so may be concerned about immigration levels, for example.

However being moderately socially conservative =/= racism.

Anyone can be racist. Racism transcends income group and political alignment.
Rufus the red
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Certainly not on the general level which you suggest.
Most TSR users are, however, anon-abuser-ist.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I’m intrigued as to what thought process lead to you asking this question.
Probably a non-white/British girl with a crush on a working-class fella
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not inherently, although recently the political parties targeting working class voters tend to be far right pandering to xenophobic (and implicitly racist) anxieties. They certainly can be, but so can middle class or bourgeoisie people.

As far as dating from "ones own culture", that is pretty close minded at least if not outright xenophobic and again, often implicitly racist. I don't think this is necessarily common though.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 weeks ago
Foxehh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No. Dating someone from your own culture isnt racist either... even having that preference isnt. There are plenty of valid reasons to why a person would, cultural differences and values, traditional reasons, religious reasons, etc.
Last edited by Foxehh; 4 weeks ago
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Those who haven't been to uni but are working in essential sectors like shops etc?
Racism is not limited to class, gender or even race.
Cryoraptor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As someone who probably fits into this category, no, if anything we're less racist than others because we encounter more minorities on average in the same jobs.

Personally I prefer South Asian and black/mixed race women to white women, but I'm not incredibly fussed.
QueenKagami
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ok but this question is wrong .
asif007
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You're asking 2 different questions. Do you want to know if they are racist or whether they date outside their cultures? Having a preference to date in their own culture doesn't make them racist. Being xenophobic/anti-immigration and having prejudicial and discriminatory views towards people of other ethnicities/cultures then yes they are more likely to be racist.

The men that are more likely to be racist are unemployed and live in all-white areas surrounded by drugs and crime. Perhaps associate themselves with far-right groups like the EDL. These are the men you should be careful of.
silkypokemon96
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what led you to think this...?
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
this sounds awfully classist
cleveranimal56
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I mean I see where you're coming from (I think) in that upper classes might be more educated on fair treatment perhaps? But it could go both ways in that lower class workers would encounter more minorities on the job so would get used to it at a certain point. So it would be unfair to universalise racism to all lower class workers, as if it wasn't hard enough for them to get by.
Cryoraptor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
But it could go both ways in that lower class workers would encounter more minorities on the job so would get used to it at a certain point
This. I grew up on an estate called Hainault in East London, and Redbridge is about 1/3rd south Asian and a similar number for blacks. Half the kids I went to school with before we moved were BAME. When you're exposed to minorities at that age there's just not really any basis for racial stereotypes and such. One of my best friends was mixed race, the other one was black, and apparently when I was really little in nursery my best friend was this south Asian girl. I have absolutely zero memory of her which is kind of sad really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (78)
29.21%
No (189)
70.79%

Watched Threads