Oliver000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
does the chair you’re sitting on exist or not?
is it a collection of particles assigned a name to by the mind that can be changed at any time or is it an actual object?
QZ_Zhu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Or could it be a computer simulation and you can only seen the surface of the chair, but there is nothingness inside which generates into particles when it is 'exposed'
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe I am a boltzmann brain, not only am I hallucinating this thread, but chairs are a figment of my ****ed up imagination.
Last edited by glassalice; 4 weeks ago
QZ_Zhu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Maybe I am a boltzmann brain, not only is am I hallucinating this thread, chairs are a figment of my ****ed up imagination.
I mean what if it's only you who see the chair as a chair, but maybe everyone sees it as a toilet but you have always thought that a toilet was a chair. This argument works better when we are talking about colors. Maybe what you see as green is in fact what other people see as blue, but you have always known blue as green since a young age and now you call blue green as it is what you have always known as green.
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The physical reality of the chair most likely exists - something is holding me up. But the description of that reality - the idea that it is "a chair" - is a convention.

Because the universe is so complex, to get by we have to simplify phenomena according to common patterns. We have a mental model of "chairness", which we use to label things that match that mental model, but it's only a convenient interpretation of reality based on assumptions about an object's intended use case, etc.

The idea that there are "objects" at all is also a convention, since there is no physically defined boundary between one thing and the next, it's a convention for purposes of categorisation and making sense of the world around us.
PilgrimOfTruth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
All objects are simply parts of the same universe made of the same "stuff", i.e. energy, expressed in differing forms, shapes, colours etc.

All energy is in a constant state of flux, constantly transforming into different forms of energy, over and over and over. We choose to name forms of energy for convenience, but your chair is in essence no different to any other object. The whole universe is essentially one giant Lego set made of universal tiny little bricks. You can build anything out of the bricks, a chair, a table, a car, a planet, anything. It's all the same stuff. Even we humans are the same stuff. The universe has one constant which is that nothing in it is constant. Everything is constantly decaying, unravelling, losing it's shape and form and being transformed into something else.

Just as with a Lego set, if you build a castle with it and then want to build a fire engine, then you must first dismantle the castle back down to it's individual universal bricks and then assemble them into something else. This is a key principle and there is much wisdom to be found in it.
In the Bible Jesus iterates this universal principle in his parable:

John 12:23-24:

Jesus replied, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit."

This is the same principle. Something must first decompose, be reduced back to its "prima materia" before it can be formed into something else. The philosophers and alchemists knew this well.

Many things follow from this simple wisdom

1. Everything you see has been here in the universe for all time, but in many different forms

2. Nothing ever "dies". It just gets reduced to prima materia and reassembled into something else, including us

Temet Nosce
64Lightbulbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
chairs are a social construct, so i would argue that while they do exist, we could always choose for them not to
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
38.14%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.79%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.19%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.74%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.89%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.25%

Watched Threads