Worried PGCE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. I'm a current PGCE student (secondary science).

The covid disruption meant my university has been unable to offer me an assessed placement either in school or online. Most of the students in my cohort were offered placements at the start of the year or after schools reopened but, for whatever reason, I was bottom of the list.

Instead I was sent on a two week "experience" placement after Easter. It consisted of a week of lesson observations and a week of taking on what was effectively a TA role to in some lessons. I had no mentor and there was no opportunity for me to teach.

My university tutor emailed me today to warn me that I will fail to obtain QTS if I don't provide more evidence for my TS folder. The only things I have to date are three lesson plans for theoretical lessons I created in January and lesson observation write ups from the experience placement.

At this point, I do not know what to do. I have completed all the PGCE work but don't know how I'll be able to get more evidence for my TS. I also don't see how I'm able to apply for employment with no genuine experience to draw upon and no suitable references.
Last edited by Worried PGCE; 1 month ago
Worried PGCE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

The covid disruption meant my university has been unable to offer me an assessed placement either in school or online. Most of the students in my cohort were offered placements at the start of the year or after schools reopened but, for whatever reason, I was bottom of the list.

Instead I was sent on a two week "experience" placement after Easter. It consisted of a week of lesson observations and a week of taking on what was effectively a TA role to in some lessons. I had no mentor and there was no opportunity for me to teach.

My university tutor emailed me today to warn me that I will fail to obtain QTS if I don't provide more evidence for my TS folder. The only things I have to date are three lesson plans for theoretical lessons I created in January and lesson observation write ups from the experience placement.

At this point, I do not know what to do. I have completed all the PGCE work but don't know how I'll be able to get more evidence for my TS. I also don't see how I'm able to apply for employment with no genuine experience to draw upon and no suitable references.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Worried PGCE)

Your university has massively let you down here.

If you are in a teaching union, I'd contact them to discuss this, or otherwise I'd take it up via your university's complaints procedure.

In terms of actually being prepared to teach, rather than just gaining QTS, I would ask your uni to offer you a deferred placement next year (this is not uncommon for various reasons).

I'd also be asking for a face to face meeting with your uni ASAP, either with your tutor or someone higher up on the course.
Contested Claim
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is concerning.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Contested Claim)
This is concerning.
Why do you find this concerning?
Dragon24
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Would the uni not let you arrange your own placement? One of the reasons I don't like uni's arranging placements is you are in limbo and have no control.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Dragon24)
Would the uni not let you arrange your own placement? One of the reasons I don't like uni's arranging placements is you are in limbo and have no control.
I think this would have been good advice earlier in the year, but it's now probably too late for OP this term- even if they were able to arrange a placement, they likely wouldn't be able to be there long enough to gain the evidence needed for QTS.

Might be worth a try, though.
Dragon24
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I think this would have been good advice earlier in the year, but it's now probably too late for OP this term- even if they were able to arrange a placement, they likely wouldn't be able to be there long enough to gain the evidence needed for QTS.

Might be worth a try, though.
That's understandable as there is about 6 weeks left. I'm surprised they didn't ask the uni any sooner.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Dragon24)
That's understandable as there is about 6 weeks left. I'm surprised they didn't ask the uni any sooner.
I'm sure OP has been asking the uni.

I think lots of unis have treated (some of) their PGCE students awfully this year, and we shouldn't be putting too much of the blame on individual students.
Dragon24
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I'm sure OP has been asking the uni.

I think lots of unis have treated (some of) their PGCE students awfully this year, and we shouldn't be putting too much of the blame on individual students.
I'm not saying they hadn't, Im sure they had but probably got fobbed off by the uni.

Good luck OP, I hope you get everything sorted out. Best wishes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
38.14%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.79%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.19%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.74%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.89%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed