The Manchester United Thread XXIII

Watch this thread
bj27
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by NJA)
Getting a top manager worked quickly for Chelsea and man city, but because we picked the wrong top managers before people like Gary Neville are saying it's not the answer.
Well yeah. Should have just got Conte and will say it again that Conte would turn you into title winners. People want to talk about the job Tuchel has done but he's literally using a system that was created by Antonio Conte for Chelsea and as a result players like Kante/rudiger/azpilicueta/Alonso are used to it. The England players are also used to this system because again Southgate just copied what Conte did in the 2018 world cup and the Euros. Everyone is comfortable as a result.

Also Van Gaal deserved another season as you could see what they were trying to do but people at the top bowed to fan pressure.

Anyway if you got Conte right now I'm putting a bet on you guys winning the title the next season.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by bj27)
Well yeah. Should have just got Conte and will say it again that Conte would turn you into title winners. People want to talk about the job Tuchel has done but he's literally using a system that was created by Antonio Conte for Chelsea and as a result players like Kante/rudiger/azpilicueta/Alonso are used to it. The England players are also used to this system because again Southgate just copied what Conte did in the 2018 world cup and the Euros. Everyone is comfortable as a result.

Also Van Gaal deserved another season as you could see what they were trying to do but people at the top bowed to fan pressure.

Anyway if you got Conte right now I'm putting a bet on you guys winning the title the next season.
Zidane?
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by bj27)
Not just that. United have the players to go toe to toe but against top clubs there are periods when you're under pressure and you need to dig in. Chelsea do this but they can also dominate games too Vs big clubs.

I know people want to talk about pressing but these were defensive mistakes and people not taking chances offensively like fernandes. Tbh it was poor game management and mentality that cost them more so than a tactical system being wrong.

We can analyse the game and the overall system not working well etc. But there's simple things like not covering your man, two people going for the same ball(lol Shaw) and lack of covering from the midfield allowing Keita to just be free in space multiple times.

Personally would just have used Pogba alongside mctominay and play normally, sit back a bit when needed but also push up, play fast football etc.

Ronaldo being the guy to just finish chances is fine as long as the delivery is good and he can get chances to score. Greenwood and Rashford aren't providers, Shaw is sometimes but really you're leaving things to fernandes and Pogba for deliveries.
It is all interlinked though, if you press poorly that leaves huge gaps meaning your defence is exposed leading to more chances of defensive mistakes and poor organisation if your backline isn't used to playing a higher line (eg Lovren/Moreno for Liverpool), we just ended up with a perfect storm of Liverpool being ruthless on the day and Uniteds backline individually being poor. It wasn't just yesterday either, we have been seeing it all season long where their midfield have been leaving huge gaps to exploit but United were able to get away with it via opposition missing their own best goals scorers or being plain trash. My point was that if Ole was going to play this system then he should of made preparations much earlier on, its obvious that the players don't know what is going on or not suited to it yet.
Last edited by samir12; 7 months ago
NJA
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
The official line seems to be, 3 more games . . .
Name:  Screenshot_20211025_150012.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  191.7 KB
bj27
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by NJA)
Zidane?
Lol with that midfield good luck.
bj27
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by samir12)
It is all interlinked though, if you press poorly that leaves huge gaps meaning your defence is exposed leading to more chances of defensive mistakes and poor organisation if your backline isn't used to playing a higher line (eg Lovren/Moreno for Liverpool), we just ended up with a perfect storm of Liverpool being ruthless on the day and Uniteds backline individually being poor. It wasn't just yesterday either, we have been seeing it all season long where their midfield have been leaving huge gaps to exploit but United were able to get away with it via opposition missing their own best goals scorers or being plain trash. My point was that if Ole was going to play this system then he should of made preparations much earlier on, its obvious that the players don't know what is going on or not suited to it yet.
That's true but Tuchel got Chelsea playing his way within weeks mid season despite being used to lampards system for 18 months. I don't want to hear that preparation was needed earlier.

The fact is not enough is being done in training and application on the day is also awful. Liverpool exploited spaces yes but it's basics that United were not doing right.

I think this is just like the game Vs Spurs last year. Concede a goal or two, completely capitulate afterwards mentally.
NJA
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by bj27)
Lol with that midfield good luck.
Who knows what a top manager could do, even with that midfield, not forgetting the bench warmers, and January approaches.
NJA
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Maybe they can take correction, this Dunkirk will turn into their finest hour, possible but will take determination and personal responsibility by all.

Will watch with interest, wish I could be a fly on the wall @ Carrington.
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by bj27)
That's true but Tuchel got Chelsea playing his way within weeks mid season despite being used to lampards system for 18 months. I don't want to hear that preparation was needed earlier.

The fact is not enough is being done in training and application on the day is also awful. Liverpool exploited spaces yes but it's basics that United were not doing right.

I think this is just like the game Vs Spurs last year. Concede a goal or two, completely capitulate afterwards mentally.
Tuchel hasn't exactly implemented a system that Chelsea have never seen before so was easier to adapt to and they had a proper midfield which helped. It took Klopp years and several personnel changes to get it right.

It's not just the system, it tends to be a number of things as you pointed out but the system makes quite a big difference and for me the first thing to get right. The basics should have already been sorted out in preseason.
Last edited by samir12; 7 months ago
Frozetman
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by NJA)
The official line seems to be, 3 more games . . .
Name:  Screenshot_20211025_150012.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  191.7 KB
That's just Ole in his talking to the media and hes obvs not gonna say he'll be gone soon. Our next 3 is Tottenham, City and Chelsea all tough ties so he's gotta try and make some optimisim

Imo i highly doubt he'll be manager by Wednesday evening
Gob Bluth
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Not so sure you'll jump the gun on him so soon. Still think he'll get the season, bit this depends if he can turn it around in the next month or not. Let's not forget he's had spells at stars of seasons before. However this one noticeably is worse due to its another season in and it's 5-0 at home to your biggest rivals. Difficult to come back from.
bj27
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by samir12)
Tuchel hasn't exactly implemented a system that Chelsea have never seen before so was easier to adapt to and they had a proper midfield which helped. It took Klopp years and several personnel changes to get it right.

It's not just the system, it tends to be a number of things as you pointed out but the system makes quite a big difference and for me the first thing to get right. The basics should have already been sorted out in preseason.
True, however Conte implemented the system and it worked within weeks as well. He did not work on the system at all during pre season of 2016. We actually were looking at using 4-2-4 and 4-3-3. It was only until the arsenal game that he switched it up and within weeks we figured it out. So again if Conte changed it up within weeks, not even using the system in pre season, only changing midway through a match we were 3-0 down at half time why is it that Ole can't do the same?

I don't buy that excuse of it just being an adaptation issue to a new system. Klopp simply didn't have the players to play his system which was why it was failing early on. Van dijk Mane and Salah clearly raised your team to another level. He got rid of Sturridge, arguably a better striker(although injury prone) due to not fitting the system.

And yeah we played 3atb under Conte but Tuchels 3atb has fundamental differences to Conte's.

While lovren had his issues when he played next to van dijk and had Fabinho covering he was generally solid.
Last edited by bj27; 7 months ago
username5842617
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Remember that Alex Ferguson was allegedly one game away from the sack in 1990? Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should remain as manager.
Driving_Mad
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Solskjaer should walk if he has any integrity about him. You guys should get Conte in, only problem is that he’s a short term manager and has fell out with the board at previous clubs.

If you don’t get Conte I’d say go for Brendan Rodgers. I don’t see Zidane working, just because he was a good fit at Real Madrid doesn’t mean he’s a good fit for you.

Rodgers is actually the favourite with the bookmakers. Plus he plays good attacking football which will get the best out of all the attacking talent, a change from the boring play-style of previous managers.
bj27
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Driving_Mad)
Solskjaer should walk if he has any integrity about him. You guys should get Conte in, only problem is that he’s a short term manager and has fell out with the board at previous clubs.

If you don’t get Conte I’d say go for Brendan Rodgers. I don’t see Zidane working, just because he was a good fit at Real Madrid doesn’t mean he’s a good fit for you.

Rodgers is actually the favourite with the bookmakers. Plus he plays good attacking football which will get the best out of all the attacking talent, a change from the boring play-style of previous managers.
Forgot about Rodgers. Yes he'd also be a good pick.

I would say that Conte may be short term but his clubs are pretty short term clubs. He spent a good 3 years at Juventus, was sacked at Chelsea and for Inter he left due to the board trying to sell half his squad after he just won the title for them, first time in 11 years.

When you consider it all Conte is the perfect pick because he'll actually be at a club that will back him in the market and buy the players he wants.

He'd probably be at the best club player personnel wise that he's actually managed, did great achievements with weaker teams player wise imo.
Last edited by bj27; 7 months ago
NJA
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Ken Dodd
NJA
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
NJA
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Luke Shaw
"“I think, for example, you look at the first goal, it can’t be possible that they can have sort of three running through in the first five minutes. We need to be more compact, we need to be better and we know that.
“I think also maybe we can say this result was coming.
“I think in past games where we’ve won, we haven’t been at our best and we know that.
“We felt that inside the dressing room and today we need to reflect and we have to move on from this because it hurts.”

Note: they felt it, Ole didn't, he was oblivious, he says "we are nearly there"
where?
More empty memes

That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by NJA)
Luke Shaw
"“I think, for example, you look at the first goal, it can’t be possible that they can have sort of three running through in the first five minutes. We need to be more compact, we need to be better and we know that.
“I think also maybe we can say this result was coming.
“I think in past games where we’ve won, we haven’t been at our best and we know that.
“We felt that inside the dressing room and today we need to reflect and we have to move on from this because it hurts.”

Note: they felt it, Ole didn't, he was oblivious, he says "we are nearly there"
where?
More empty memes

I recall him saying we played well in the first half against Atalanta

Get him out of the club man
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Maybe are they going to wait for Oles classic masterclass against all the big sides then sack him
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (36)
27.48%
As I expected (44)
33.59%
Harder (44)
33.59%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
5.34%

Watched Threads