KwokkowK
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My flatmate is starting to get on my nerves as he has poor hygiene, self centred and in general just a really bad person. There’s only 4 of us in this flat but everyone takes out the bins, except for this guy. Despite me constantly asking him to take out the bins he comes up with poor excuses or just doesn’t do it. It’s gotten to the point where we got an email saying that the state of the bins was unacceptable and that we will get fined if we don’t take them out. We have left one bin for him to take out specifically and I texted him to do it at some point however he thinks because he has exams he is exempt from taking out the rubbish even though we ALL have exams. This person just kind of sucks to have as a flat mate because he thinks he’s better than everyone else so when he comes into the kitchen he just brings down the mood and only ever wants to talk about two things, the football club he supports and himself. Any advice on how to deal with the bin situation or the person in general would be great.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by KwokkowK)
My flatmate is starting to get on my nerves as he has poor hygiene, self centred and in general just a really bad person. There’s only 4 of us in this flat but everyone takes out the bins, except for this guy. Despite me constantly asking him to take out the bins he comes up with poor excuses or just doesn’t do it. It’s gotten to the point where we got an email saying that the state of the bins was unacceptable and that we will get fined if we don’t take them out. We have left one bin for him to take out specifically and I texted him to do it at some point however he thinks because he has exams he is exempt from taking out the rubbish even though we ALL have exams. This person just kind of sucks to have as a flat mate because he thinks he’s better than everyone else so when he comes into the kitchen he just brings down the mood and only ever wants to talk about two things, the football club he supports and himself. Any advice on how to deal with the bin situation or the person in general would be great.
Is it university managed accommodation?
KwokkowK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Is it university managed accommodation?
Yes.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes.
Speak to accommodation services. Make a list of matters you’ve raised and your housemates responses. They can try and mediate and make things a bit more formal. Ultimately if your housemate is just a scumbag and doesn’t want to engage, you may be stuck with them until the end of the year unfortunately.
KwokkowK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Speak to accommodation services. Make a list of matters you’ve raised and your housemates responses. They can try and mediate and make things a bit more formal. Ultimately if your housemate is just a scumbag and doesn’t want to engage, you may be stuck with them until the end of the year unfortunately.
The thing is he says he has some mental health issues like anxiety and depression so I’m not really too sure how to approach the situation and if I am just being too insensitive. We (myself and the other two flatmates) try to make sure he feels comfortable when he’s with us but even when I bring up the simplest of tasks he just brings up his mental health issues and gets really defensive and becomes easily agitated.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The thing is he says he has some mental health issues like anxiety and depression so I’m not really too sure how to approach the situation and if I am just being too insensitive. We (myself and the other two flatmates) try to make sure he feels comfortable when he’s with us but even when I bring up the simplest of tasks he just brings up his mental health issues and gets really defensive and becomes easily agitated.
Whilst some leeway might be made depending on his health issues, (someone with ADD might struggle with remembering tasks and sticking to a routine for example), you and the other houseguests haven’t signed on to be this persons carer or pick up all their chores for them. Part of the Uni experience for them should be learning how to balance these things with their studies.

Again, his health might be something to politely mention to accommodation services. They could refer them to the relevant support team and find out if they are struggling.

I can see that you are empathetic to his condition, but you shouldn’t be getting in trouble because they are not picking up any task.
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Every student house has someone like this. Treat him with the contempt he deserves and take it in your stride, 3 people is enough to empty the bin.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed