envi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi!

I'm in need of some help. I'm working in an accountancy firm. I have yet to finish my accounting qualifications and am supposed to take on an apprenticeship with the company I am with in a few months time.

The job makes me so unhappy; long days with no overtime pay, minimum communication with other staff or external clients, and basic data entry 5 days a week. I am looking into other jobs at the moment as I do not feel this is right got me going into the future, but I have no idea as to what is good for me. I was funneled into taking accountancy in college as I passed Maths with a great grade, but I feel so lost when I think about my future.

Anything would be helpful at this point,
Envi.
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Difficult one. Personally I would finish my qualification and only then consider moving on. On the other hand, I get the impression maybe you might be a bit bored of accounting?
oscarjpdb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey!

Firstly, it depends on how much longer until you get your qualifications. If it is less than a year, then I would stay stick with it; however, if it is 3 years away then I would move on quickly.

Secondly, identifying what you like and dislike at work. It seems that you don't like the monotonous nature of accounting, the lack of communication and the long days. Perhaps something more dynamic that involves collaborating and engaging with others? Here are some ideas I have come up with (very quickly) that might spark something:

Marketing? Requires teamwork, analysis of trends, is dynamic
Start your own business? Something new everyday, meet new people whilst selling yourself and product, set your own hours
Diplomacy? Curveball, but everything paid for by government, meet incredibly interesting people, global politics is always changing
Public relations? Teamwork and engagement with clients, building of relationships, more 'normal' hours
Journalism? Again, dynamic, can choose what you write about - whatever interests you, meet new people every day
Project management? Social - work with both company and client, long-term projects to focus on (not data entry)

You already have work experience, and would have accounting qualifications if you finish them (which everyone likes) - I guess the next bit would be just throwing yourself out there and taking any opportunity handed to you. Also, if you have the funds, then more education is never a bad thing... Learn a language or coding or even do a degree!

Best of luck!!
envi
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0le)
Difficult one. Personally I would finish my qualification and only then consider moving on. On the other hand, I get the impression maybe you might be a bit bored of accounting?
Hey, thanks for your reply.

I was thinking of finishing and then moving on. I think that I'm getting bored of the monotony of it all.

Thanks for your help!
envi
Rep:
?
(Original post by oscarjpdb)
Hey!

Firstly, it depends on how much longer until you get your qualifications. If it is less than a year, then I would stay stick with it; however, if it is 3 years away then I would move on quickly.

Secondly, identifying what you like and dislike at work. It seems that you don't like the monotonous nature of accounting, the lack of communication and the long days. Perhaps something more dynamic that involves collaborating and engaging with others? Here are some ideas I have come up with (very quickly) that might spark something:

Marketing? Requires teamwork, analysis of trends, is dynamic
Start your own business? Something new everyday, meet new people whilst selling yourself and product, set your own hours
Diplomacy? Curveball, but everything paid for by government, meet incredibly interesting people, global politics is always changing
Public relations? Teamwork and engagement with clients, building of relationships, more 'normal' hours
Journalism? Again, dynamic, can choose what you write about - whatever interests you, meet new people every day
Project management? Social - work with both company and client, long-term projects to focus on (not data entry)

You already have work experience, and would have accounting qualifications if you finish them (which everyone likes) - I guess the next bit would be just throwing yourself out there and taking any opportunity handed to you. Also, if you have the funds, then more education is never a bad thing... Learn a language or coding or even do a degree!

Best of luck!!
Hi! Thanks for your reply.

It's looking like 3+ months till I finish my current qualifications and move onto my next qualifications which take 3+ years to complete. It's a very difficult situation to be in, as I can't leave midway through my qualifications without having to pay my share of fees.

As above, they are the main issues that I feel are starting to become a big big problem for me.

Thank you for your ideas, I'm super interested in sports, so maybe Sports Marketing is something to look into for me? I have a background in Media too so...

Cheers,
Envi.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you on a formal apprenticeship?
envi
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Are you on a formal apprenticeship?
The apprenticeship contract hasn't been signed yet, hence why I am re-evaluating my options.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unless you're blessed with wealth and other work opportunities - stick with it. Nothing comes easy when you're just starting out in the real world.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by envi)
The apprenticeship contract hasn't been signed yet, hence why I am re-evaluating my options.
I believe that if the contract is under the government apprenticeship scheme you cant be asked to repay training costs. What would you be studying? ACA or ACCA?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads