sh.hr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it worth it doing an year in industry in a field that isn't specifically what you want to go into? For example, wanting to study aerospace engineering at uni but doing a YINI in a software engineer role at a medical company? Part of me thinks it'll be a waste of a year. I also think it'll improve my coding skills while also being something good to put on my CV. Any advice?
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
any job teaches worthwhile skills. that's why people work in retail/hospitality and bother to put that on their cvs. especially since years in industry are designed for people who don't have a lot of experience, you'll be able to talk about something not everybody has. its only a waste of a year if you do nothing
sh.hr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by HoldThisL)
any job teaches worthwhile skills. that's why people work in retail/hospitality and bother to put that on their cvs. especially since years in industry are designed for people who don't have a lot of experience, you'll be able to talk about something not everybody has. its only a waste of a year if you do nothing
Name:  image_2021-05-14_030901.png
Views: 6
Size:  230.3 KBsheeeeeeeeeeeeesh
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sh.hr)
Is it worth it doing an year in industry in a field that isn't specifically what you want to go into? For example, wanting to study aerospace engineering at uni but doing a YINI in a software engineer role at a medical company? Part of me thinks it'll be a waste of a year. I also think it'll improve my coding skills while also being something good to put on my CV. Any advice?
Hi!

I'm a software engineering student, currently doing a year in industry in business intelligence (sort of a similar relation between the two fields you mentioned). I chose to do my year of work in a slightly different setting because I know there's some intersection (similar to how you know you will improve your programming skills), and I think having a wider spread of experience will help me fit into a wider range of roles when I leave uni. Additionally, I know a lot of the things you'd learn in a software engineering internship will be transferrable to other engineering disciplines too.

You'll definitely gain a lot from doing a year of work in any established company, like you mentioned it will certainly be good for your CV. However, if software engineering is not something that really interests you, it may not be a good fit for you or for the company (a year feels like a very long time doing something you don't enjoy). I would definitely apply, as the worst that can happen is you'll get rejected, and the best that can happen is you can add it to your list of considerations for next year. Even if you get the role, you don't need to take it.

Hope that's helped,
Cameron
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads