Universities that are hostile/unsupportive of mature students?

Watch
John Bull
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have interacted with quite a few different admissions departments over the years. Universities want to be perceived as "inclusive" and "diverse" but some of them are outright hostile to mature students and I don't think want them as part of the student body for undergraduate studies.

Here are some I would describe as being hostile to mature students:

Warwick (Hostile. Very limited entry routes. Deliberately provides limited information on their website for mature students. Not receptive at all to having mature students)

LSE (Says that they take mature students, list entry requirements for mature students but in reality do not take any on)

Kings (Similar to the LSE. Pay lip service to being open to mature students but don't make offers and take many/any on.)

Let's broaden the discussion and not just focus on entry requirements. What are some universities that are supportive of mature students on campus? Either through things like mature student societies, talks at open days and so on?

Any other experiences to share?
Last edited by John Bull; 1 month ago
UniOfLincolnStudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by John Bull)
I have interacted with quite a few different admissions departments over the years. Universities want to be perceived as "inclusive" and "diverse" but some of them are outright hostile to mature students and I don't think want them as part of the student body for undergraduate studies.

Warwick (Hostile. Very limited entry routes. Deliberately provides limited information on their website for mature students. Not receptive at all to having mature students)

LSE (Says that they take mature students, list entry requirements for mature students but in reality do not take any on)

Kings (Similar to the LSE. Pay lip service to being open to mature students but don't make offers and take many/any on.)

Let's broaden the discussion and not just focus on entry requirements. What are some universities that are supportive of mature students on campus? Either through things like mature student societies, talks at open days and so on?

Hi John Bull

The University of Lincoln prides itself on its acceptance of Mature Students. I also am a part of the Call Centre who phones up Offer Holders and helps answer any questions they have and I have talked to many mature students and helped answer any questions or worries they have. We actually have many nursing students this year that are classified as mature students. We have an on-campus daycare for children that you can see more information on here! As well-meaning that the mature students can come in and not miss too much if they can't find daycare the on-campus aspect means that they aren't far away and you can check on them between University sessions. We also have student support services to help any student if they need help and a wellbeing centre to help with mental health and wellbeing; both on-campus.

Universities need to support all their students and help them grow and bloom throughout their degrees, there are definitely things that Lincoln can do to improve the time here for mature students but we are progressively helping and expanding our support and inclusivity and from my own experience Mature Student are less worried and enjoy their time here once knowing about the support we provide

Hope this helps with showing a University that does support and wants mature students and any questions you have can email [email protected]

-Ellie
3rd Year Media Production Student
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A thread about universities that are supportive and welcoming towards mature students would probably be more helpful IMO.
John Bull
Rep:
?
(Original post by glassalice)
A thread about universities that are supportive and welcoming towards mature students would probably be more helpful IMO.
I think it would be useful to discuss both.

Sometimes mature students can get their hopes up when they look at a university's website thinking they might have a shot of getting in when in reality they will have none.

I see the University of Nottingham seem to have a mature student society and mature student talks at their open days. Any at or been to UoN? Is it a good place for mature students?
nutellaforlife
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your wrong about kings. My brother got an offer last year as a mature student for comp science and I recently got one for biology! Kings also has a mature student society where many bring their kids, what makes you think theyre not?
John Bull
Rep:
?
(Original post by nutellaforlife)
Your wrong about kings. My brother got an offer last year as a mature student for comp science and I recently got one for biology! Kings also has a mature student society where many bring their kids, what makes you think theyre not?
Interesting. This was back in 2014/2015. Tutor on the Access course had experience dealing with them and said they were not receptive. Also saw them reject a guy with strong work experience who ended up exceeding the offer on their website. Rejected him straight away.

This was more in the business/politics areas I believe so it might differ by department.
Last edited by John Bull; 1 month ago
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by John Bull)

Hi John Bull

I must say I am slightly surprised, when I was looking for a place to study (4 years ago now) I found most places to be supportive of mature students, perhaps that was lip service at Applicant and Open Days, but here at Hull I have found my tutors have been welcoming and in fact like Mature Students, because on the whole we ask questions and engage with them (Okay, probably a bit of a generalisation! Maybe that's just me not minding if I make a fool of myself). At Hull we have a mature Students Society as well which in my first year, some of the 2nd and 3rd year members gave me great support.

Best of luck to everyone, and hopefully we can continue the discussion.

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (221)
43.25%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.35%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.14%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (57)
11.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.48%

Watched Threads